• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

148GTL barely slides - what am I missing?

ShakyMcQuiver

Apr 11, 2018
It's unlocked, but for some reason I can't get it to slide much.. not even 5kc. Yep, I re-tuned to center slot.
And yes, it's connected to a constant 8VDC (IC4 pin 1). I'm also using a 10-turn pot.

I've even tried a couple different 'super diodes' (MV1404 and MV1620). I also have several NTE equivalents, but none of hem seem to slide much. And yep... even tried a choke in series with no joy. Ideally I'd like it to slide 1 channel, but that's not necessary. 5 would be nice though.

This particular 148 was a recent garage sale find and it doesn't look like fingers have been in it, but then again - who knows.
This is a spare radio and I'm attempting to set it up so a friend can use it as a base station until he can find a regular base.

I've done my share of 148/Grant and similar clarifiers and most will slide 5 to 10 no problem. What am I missing? Or has someone cast some other kind of magic spell in there?

That's very curious to me. I've done a number of 148/Grant/2000 calrifiers and the only one I had this issue with was the 2000 (2-3kc) because it had a crystal channel kit in it. When I removed the kit and jumped the PLL the slide jumped up to 10kc each direction.

Why "unlock" a clarifier? If you spend money to have it done, you could have easily just paid to insure your radio is dead on frequency when transmitting. You then simply use your clarifier to properly hear someone who is not on frequency, while you, the smart one, knows your radio is dead on. By unlocking yours, you have added to all the confusion on SSB frequencies where everyone is twisting their clarifiers back and forth to no avail.

Reactions: Tucker442
If it is unlocked, and done correctly, then where you talk is where you hear. Just like a VFO in a Ham Radio. Having a "Locked" Clarifier/Voice Lock/RIT control (Receive only), then your transmit is "locked" to the internal control, not the external on the faceplate control. What about drifty temperature dependant crystals in the radio? With it "Unlocked", as the radio warms up, you can control it as it drifts, and you still talk where you hear.

Why "unlock" a clarifier? If you spend money to have it done, you could have easily just paid to insure your radio is dead on frequency when transmitting. You then simply use your clarifier to properly hear someone who is not on frequency, while you, the smart one, knows your radio is dead on. By unlocking yours, you have added to all the confusion on SSB frequencies where everyone is twisting their clarifiers back and forth to no avail.
I agree with you 100% if your radio is dead on it doesn’t matter you can tune to them and still be on center slot

Kinda hard to get on the zeros with a locked clarifier.

You make contact with someone and they QSY. But you can't follow because the go to a frequency that ends in zero. Like going to ch38 with an AM only radio. You wish you had a switch to flip.

Reactions: 999
It is best to unlock a clarifier as others here have said, a locked clarifier is BS and we all know it.... really keeps everybody on the same page no matter who worked on it last ...... it still needs to be unlocked.

As far as not getting enough "slide" it's something you have to explain.
What have you done so far, to be exact? :
* The 10-turn pot is ok, but is it wire right?
* What size choke (did you use the right one), and where was it connected to?
The right diode and choke or even two chokes would get you there.
* Are you using the right diode (there are two in the circuit)?
* Are the diodes the "through hole" or "chips" are on the trace side of the board?

You've done it before, look it over, take it apart, and do it again. There are many resistors to take out or bypass.

Many here have done it, doesn't matter if it's the front or side mic radio, the clarifier is done the same way. I've done them all gotten 30Kc slide on some and always set them from 12 to 14 Kc slide. You can never insist on the clarifier knob being at 12 o'clock, I always set them to 3 o'clock. If you want it at 12 pull the knob out and put it back in where you want it. I've even done 10 up and 10 down with a 10-turn pot on a Cobra 2010 GTL.

If it's not working then something is wired wrong.......you'll find just need the push.

Last edited:
Reactions: NZ8N
Yep it’s amazing how many people just don’t understand that. If u want to go between channels get a 5k switch installed Or just buy a new anytone radio

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?