• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2 pill Homebrew????

Rangerman68

Apr 18, 2005
NC
I was thinking about attempting to put together a little 2 pill. Probably a couple of 2879's or some 2290's. Asked around and was told about westgateparts.com. They have some awesome prices but I couldnt find anywhere that showed a diagram and a parts list for a 2 pill. Any ideas????I also was wondering if I looked at someone elses design if it would help?

</p>

I was thinking about attempting to put together a little 2 pill. Probably a couple of 2879's or some 2290's. Asked around and was told about westgateparts.com. They have some awesome prices but I couldnt find anywhere that showed a diagram and a parts list for a 2 pill. Any ideas????I also was wondering if I looked at someone elses design if it would help?

</p>

Most amplifier circuits are basically the same, doesn't really matter who makes them. Just depends on what the purpose is (class) and what you happen to have laying around (or can get).
There is a huge possible difference in how a circuit is laid out on a board, how it's assembled. Some are more 'simple' than others, easier to build, sort of. Maybe not as many 'extras' included in the total design.
Some of those 'extras' ought to be considered as being 'standard', or used in/on all amplifiers. Like filtering, protection circuits, etc, etc (personal opinion). And then, some of those 'extras' are of the "Why did they do that!" sort of thingy.
All them people start with the same basic circuit, maybe add a little or leave out a little, then call it their "own" design. Anything 'wrong' with that? Not really, but there's nothing all that 'right' about it either...
- 'Doc

Yeah what DOC said. I normally use common designs but sometimes you have to change things up or as stated put on the extras like a true biasing circuit that tracks thermally. Adding a thermal cutoff switch. Putting a filter in the circuit. Generally it is best to have one in and out as doc stated earlier. Easier to clean up signal before it is amplified then you just have to worry about extra that is produced after amplification. Heck when i first started, I went to the CBtricks.com website and looked up alot of the 2 pill and 4 pill configurations to get me in the ballpark. Then I was taught about actually tuning it and not just slapping some parts in there and hope it works. I asked alot of questions. I also bought almost as many books as questions that I asked. Heck i still am learning and there is alot that I doon't understand. I just started experimenting with some mosfets and am working on a good regulated circuit for it. My first 2 pill, I used casing of an old skeleton 220. I pulled up board and made my own using dremel to etch board. I'll be honest, that was not a pretty sight and I had more solder than board. LOL. It is part of the learning process. I hung out at a CB shop and just watched those guys and got to look inside alot of different boxes. After awhile with working with them I had the guys at the shop ask me to work on their personal stuff.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.