• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2950 DX gettin sick

radioreddz

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Nov 20, 2005
so. maryland
seems like i might be developing a problem with my 2950DX. yesterday when i turned it on it lit up but screen was blank till i turned it on and off again then screen was as ok reading 27.2250. to day i was on 27.2250 and the radio cut off completly then back on again by it self and freq counter was reading 24.0000 and every thing was out of sink as far as the shift. also know it's getting engine noise it was not getting and the receive seems like its off but transmit is fine. HELP !!!! :( don't want to miss these great conditions

sounds like a CPU problem or possible PLL malfunction but I am leaning towards CPU if you dont have a good tech to work on that style chassis radio PM me and Ill help you out with where to send it ;)

thanks guys ! but will the Cpu cause the radio to cut on and of by it self. and what would cause the CPU to go bad i know i had a severe antenna problem that i corrected my swr's would read 1.3 but as soon as i even made the slightest noise into the mic they would peg to the corner. i keep a swr meter in line at all times so i did not transmit with it like that but maybe once or twice and then a couple times more checking it out. could i have damaged something. but it still baffels me with it cutting on and off by it self :( :(

I have two 2970s that are just a few months old. They both sometimes get a blank screen upon turning them on, once I turn them off and then back on, all is well. It always tunes to the last channel or frequency that I had tuned before I shut it off.

Since yours resets to 24.0000, it sounds like it is either reseting itself or it is losing power somehow or is not grounded correctly. If I unplug mine from the battery for a few hours, it will reset to 24.0000 when I turn it on and my memorys have been reset also.

funcritter that 2970 should hold the memory alot longer than whats happening to you weak backup battery usually the problem and back to the 2950 yes the cpu is the brain of that radio without it it would do nothing would be a paper weight. I also agree wth DTB that its very possible that a ground being bad can also be the issue the CPU is not a common thing to blow it does happen but Im thinking your problem may be a more simple one like a ground or bad solder joint. Sometimes if the covers removed you will see the frequency wig out or buy pushing on the board in different spots ( NOT FORCEFULLY) BUT LIGHT PRESSURE THE BOARD WILL FLEX A BIT AND YOU CAN FIND THE PROBLEM GROUND OR EVEN A POSSIBLE CRACK SOMEWHERE. I would bw willing to bet its gonna be something on that lines ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.