• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2950dx 3 problems.

SMILEX2692002

Oct 26, 2011
I have a series 3 2950dx radio here with 2 problems.

First issue.
On AM/FM when the radio is transmitted it is showing full power carrier, around 40 watts. No AM modulation when on AM and only the full power carrier. On FM there is modulation but still the full power carrier.
The RF power control on AM/FM is not working.
I even went as far as trying to adjust the VR setting for AM/FM high power and it will not lower the full power carrier when transmitted in AM/FM.
The radio was getting super hot on the side the regulators are when I was using it in AM just before this problem came about.
Could a faulty AM regulator cause this problem?
If so do they make a upgraded version that will not fail as easily?

2nd issue.
The radio has no volume on receive. It appears the middle Ic/regulator is cracked/broken. When I say middle one I mean if the radio is upside down looking at the back of the radio where the power plug would be on the right. The IC/regulators are on the right side of the radio and the middle one shows the damage.
I believe this may have caused this volume issue. The damage has caused the part number to be unreadable. If I could get a replacement I'm pretty sure I could swap out the part.

If it is still under warranty, send it back to Ranger.

Yes it is only a few months old. Will Ranger deny a warranty repair for having the E chip installed?
The radio also had a protective film all over the covers and when I removed the protective film from the bottom cover the do not remove or void warranty sticker came off from the bottom cover. I do not think they could void my warranty for this since it was on the protective film which in most cases is removed one would think.

I also emailed Bells CB who I bought it from and explained to them the issues. There policy from what I read says they do not repair items that come with a factory warranty.

I did have luck once with a N2 I had that needed repair by sending it to the Ranger repair center in California. It was brand new in the box and came doa.
The warranty sticker was still in tact and it didn't have the echip installed in it.

Yes it is only a few months old. Will Ranger deny a warranty repair for having the E chip installed?

No, it will not void the Warranty.
You have to get a Return Authorization Number from Ranger before any returns.
Contact them at:
customerservice@rangerusa.com

I would not worry too much about the e-chip.........they are the ones that make it.

Attach a E-Mail explaining the problems you are having with the radio.

They are good with warranty issues.

Jeff

I also emailed Bells CB who I bought it from and explained to them the issues. There policy from what I read says they do not repair items that come with a factory warranty.

They tend to "tune" their radios on the hot side, I wouldn't be surprised if this caused the problems.

Reactions: 1 person
And then RCI has to pay the price with warranty service.

I do not understand why they would tune the radio beyond its limits. I guess some like to see as much as they can get on the watt meter. :whistle: :oops:

Will Ranger put the radio back to factory settings?
I believe the radio would sound very clean and clear operating at factory power levels.

I don't do much Am anyway. It seems Bells CB set the radio up for the Am operator in mind. To bad it failed from a 15 min conversation I had on Am with a friend locally yesterday.

wow. i thought a 2950 could only deadkey as much 10-12 watts. no wonder
its getting hot. its probaly why it has no modulation.i can see 40 watts on ssb [ maybe]
definately not am. id send it back to rci . if bells doesnt wanna help i wouldnt buy
there again

Yep too high a dead key, 4-6 watts should have been a good area. It sucks that a new radio has to have issues. Send it back to RCI for sure. They know when they sell the radios they will be modified. And definitely stay away from bells if that is the stance they are taking. A radio that comes from a shop after the factory and still has issues is just not right in my book. Stop making vids and make the radios work right!! Anyway, hope you get it resolved. God bless.

There are two parts bad in your 2950. The reason you have the carrier locked at 40 watts is Q61 the 2SB754 series pass modulator transistor is shorted. The lack of RX audio is due to a blown IC19 the TA7222AP audio amplifier chip. Both parts are mounted on the heatsink and probably would cost less than the shipping of the radio if you can change them.

That tells me right off the bat that Ranger doesn't see Bells CB as qualified to handle their warranty work because Ranger won't pay Bell's to do it.

There are two parts bad in your 2950. The reason you have the carrier locked at 40 watts is Q61 the 2SB754 series pass modulator transistor is shorted. The lack of RX audio is due to a blown IC19 the TA7222AP audio amplifier chip. Both parts are mounted on the heatsink and probably would cost less than the shipping of the radio if you can change them.

shockwave i might be wrong but i think the lack of audio is in his tx section
not rx section.

Ranger doesn't pay anybody to do warranty work. They (Radio Shop Supply) do all the warranty work themselves. They're becoming very strict and sometimes will take 5 weeks to get the radio back to you.

CbRadiosPRONTO

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.