• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2970N2 switch

When a customer asks for this mod, we ask "You want us to install the suicide switch?"

Sooner or later it will get flipped the wrong way with a low-drive amplifier in line.

Hence the name.

We'll install it if the customer wants it. And his money is the right color when he comes back blown up.

Reactions: NZ8N and 999
Sorry about that first post: I have done hundreds of these and repaired many hundreds of this type radio so I was sure I would have an image somewhere in the 5000 images of radio work I have done and I found this in just a few minutes, AMAZING, here it is. I can't remember if they ever changed the color of wires but most of them I believe are these colors.

View attachment 27841

I tried this mod on my RCI2970N3 and the transmit became intermittent. I cut the positive brown wire. Put a switch on it. It didn't transmit, and then I soldered a wire back in line where I had the switch. Transmit is still intermittent.

The thing I think is the problem is that small board clamped between those six pins protruding out to the board. The black and brown wire I focused on for this mod I were crimped against that board. Does that board need to be connected to the pins holding it to make the radio work? I'm thinking about soldering them.

It's the only thing I touched. Any help is appreciated.

See Picture.

Kirk

Attachments

• IMG-4158.jpg
    IMG-4158.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG-4159.jpg
    IMG-4159.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG-4160.jpg
    IMG-4160.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
Squeezing the 'fork' contacts so they'll have some contact force is all that's needed. I suspect that a close look at the solder connections under those forks will reveal fractures in the solder around the pin. Resoldering may very well be all that's needed. Always resolder these with the jumper board in place. If you don't, inserting it could put some sideways twist force on the pins and stress the solder.

Reactions: NZ8N
Squeezing the 'fork' contacts so they'll have some contact force is all that's needed. I suspect that a close look at the solder connections under those forks will reveal fractures in the solder around the pin. Resoldering may very well be all that's needed. Always resolder these with the jumper board in place. If you don't, inserting it could put some sideways twist force on the pins and stress the solder.

Thanks! I will check that. Do you think these forks need to make contact with the board they hold to make the radio transmit? I hooked it up on the bench right after I made this post and I knocked on the lid and the radio started working again.

Thanks!

The "forks" definitely need to make contact with the "mirror board" on all sides.

You need to remove the wires from between the forks and mirror board as well.

David

Reactions: Eldorado828
I put the switch on mine to run a 110v amp,can't run the radio and amp at the same time with my power supply.
Side question, what amperage power supply will work for a RCI2970N3 peaked and tuned. I have a 50 amp but was told this will not be high enough amperage. Also a recommendation on a model# thanks Craig

Side question, what amperage power supply will work for a RCI2970N3 peaked and tuned. I have a 50 amp but was told this will not be high enough amperage. Also a recommendation on a model# thanks Craig
i would use 100 amp so you have headroom and if you ever wanted to you could use it on something different and wouldn't have to rebuy

RCI says 40 amp draw and they put a 50 amp fuse in that radio. I would say at least something like an Astron 70 but as stated, 100 would probably be best.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.