• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

3cx10000 Ouput Test

Bushwacker's use of "average peak power" also makes sense. If you take 100 samples of modulated peak power over a 10 second period, with and without a compressor, the compressor will produce a higher average peak power result. Again, the term "average" is not being used with respect to the actual value of maximum PEP power. It it used with respect to time and how the normal speech is held closer to the maximum value over that course of time. Be it due to meter design or true average talk power increase with the use of a compressor.

This is why your not seeing any difference on an RMS meter with your compressor on (assuming your running 100%modulated). You can't see your modulation lows or lows in pep power.

Again, there is no such thing as RMS power and I'm fully aware of what compression does .......... i would have never purchased audio processing gear if I didn't.

All I can say here is if you continue to be unreceptive of learning new facts simply because they contradict other inaccurate sources, you are limiting yourself. Much BS has been posted about watt meters in the CB world. If you care to sort it out, start with studying the waveform itself then how to measure it. Otherwise it's like looking at a pressure gauge without knowing the required pressure. If I had only one tool to use to check the operating condition of an AM station, it would be the Bird 43P. With it I can check power levels, confirm if modulations peaks are at 100%, test the reflected power from the antenna, and all with between 5 to 10% accuracy. Open your mind and you can do the same.

Because smarter people than you or I have stated this on many occasions here and other viable rf forums and had you been listening you would have read this and I quote Bob85 " PEP is the only true measurement of an amplitude modulated signal" read the last 3 words in that quote then reread again.

Average power really shines in FM mode.

FM conveys information over a carrier wave by varying its instantaneous frequency and should not cause a movement in an average reading meter unless the deviation is out of wack.
pep is not any true measurement of anything if you want real figures you will test with average power only.seems no pep am readings halve any merit what so ever.pep(poor exaggerated power)true power is average.you could hook up an rfx 75 kit to a 29 and claim its doing 140 watts but actually its doing about 30-50 average power.sorry.but most people will argue that is wrong but whatever.\

pep is not any true measurement of anything if you want real figures you will test with average power only.seems no pep am readings halve any merit what so ever.pep(poor exaggerated power)true power is average.you could hook up an rfx 75 kit to a 29 and claim its doing 140 watts but actually its doing about 30-50 average power.sorry.but most people will argue that is wrong but whatever.\

The rfx75 won't even do 30 to 50 watts, the best you can manage in reality is along the lines of 20 to 30 watt average power with any kind of linearity but that's besides the point they are junk and you're just spouting cb jargon.

All I can say here is if you continue to be unreceptive of learning new facts simply because they contradict other inaccurate sources, you are limiting yourself. Much BS has been posted about watt meters in the CB world. If you care to sort it out, start with studying the waveform itself then how to measure it. Otherwise it's like looking at a pressure gauge without knowing the required pressure. If I had only one tool to use to check the operating condition of an AM station, it would be the Bird 43P. With it I can check power levels, confirm if modulations peaks are at 100%, test the reflected power from the antenna, and all with between 5 to 10% accuracy. Open your mind and you can do the same.

In the absence of an Oscope the bird 43p is the best alternative asides from the lp-100.

PEP is VERY useful when tuning AM tranmitters and measuring output. Esp. when dealing with rigs that have ALC. Lets say you have a rig capable of 200 watts output but you set it up for 100 watts peak into an amplifier that was designed for 100 watts input. Wouldnt you want a meter that could show you if there is ALC overshoot?? If you didnt have that PEP reading meter and didnt catch the overshoot, you could be pumping 200 watts into your 100 watt input amplifier.

Tell me again why PEP isnt an important measurement???

popcorncupshtmtxtpopcor.jpg

This is getting good. :pop: I brought extra in case someone else wants some. :D

I'd like to see you use an average meter to estimate the modulation conditions of an AM transmitter. The average meter ignores modulation of the carrier because it doesn't represent a change in average power. Since modulation on AM takes away from and adds to the carrier equally, the average meter is blind to modulation. So lets review, average meters are for CW or FM. Peak meters are for AM or SSB. PEP is only a measurement of nothing when you understand nothing about what it's measuring. It measures the most important part of the AM signal, the power contained in your modulation. Saying PEP in not important on AM suggests you like throwing carriers. Notice the FCC doesn't limit us to 375 watts average on 75 meter AM. They also recognize the relevance of PEP on AM and restrict you to 1500 watts PEP.

"Tell me again why PEP isnt an important measurement???"

in true cb mythological fashion he already has told you, you won't hear the same bollocks from smart folk or professionals;)

Because smarter people than you or I have stated this on many occasions here and other viable rf forums and had you been listening you would have read this and I quote Bob85 " PEP is the only true measurement of an amplitude modulated signal" read the last 3 words in that quote then reread again.

Average power really shines in FM mode.

FM conveys information over a carrier wave by varying its instantaneous frequency and should not cause a movement in an average reading meter unless the deviation is out of wack.
he does not know any better he listens to other people for his knowledge!pep the only true measurement of an am signal,man is that the most backwards thing i have ever heard!well i guess that guy with his one tube amp is really doing 15000 swinging forward to 25000 because bob says so!lets see what pep is good for #1.starting a great debate #2.techs to rip people off with happy watt capacitor readings #3.making everyone think they have forward swing when they have backward swing and #4.nothing. lol

Since many people come here for knowledge it's important to correct those who insist on spreading misinformation. Too many people will argue about things they obviously don't understand rather then learn from those who do. If you refuse to learn, stick with your average meter for AM and continue to look at a meter that has no capacity to indicate any difference between a carrier with 100% modulation and one with 0%. Just don't think you're going to mislead others in the forum who want to know the things you don't.

Since many people come here for knowledge it's important to correct those who insist on spreading misinformation. Too many people will argue about things they obviously don't understand rather then learn from those who do. If you refuse to learn, stick with your average meter for AM and continue to look at a meter that has no capacity to indicate any difference between a carrier with 100% modulation and one with 0%. Just don't think you're going to mislead others in the forum who want to know the things you don't.
if i want to check my modulation i will use a modulation meter or a scope not a PEP meter!maybe you should take your own advise.:whistle:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.