• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

3cx10000 Ouput Test

if i want to check my modulation i will use a modulation meter or a scope not a PEP meter!maybe you should take your own advise.:whistle:

I suppose you think I didn't know the scope is the best way to measure modulation? What you don't know is that the PEP meter is one tool that does many things. You look at the PEP meter and think "that's fake watts" because you don't understand that a 100% modulated AM signal contains four times as much power on positive audio peaks then the carrier.

if i want to check my modulation i will use a modulation meter or a scope not a PEP meter!maybe you should take your own advise.:whistle:

Maybe I should set my radio up with a very high input swr from one of my crappy amps I have on the top shelf and then check my output with a modulation meter to make myself feel better.:w00t:

I think what those that deride Mack about true PEP miss, is the fact that a passive PEP meter cannot measure true PEP.

It needs to be an active meter ( powered) to accurately measure PEP.

I have to honestly defer to the guys with real knowledge on this, like Bob85 and CCM.

Mack is no tyro and he does have alot of real world experience combined with an ability of sorting out good info from BS.

Claiming he can't afford a Bird smells of desperation.

I think what those that deride Mack about true PEP miss, is the fact that a passive PEP meter cannot measure true PEP.

It needs to be an active meter ( powered) to accurately measure PEP.

I have to honestly defer to the guys with real knowledge on this, like Bob85 and CCM.

Mack is no tyro and he does have alot of real world experience combined with an ability of sorting out good info from BS.

Claiming he can't afford a Bird smells of desperation.

Yeah I've owned this one for eight years now.

In average mode.

workingvoltageavrreading.jpg

In PEP mode.

wokintvoltagepepreadiong.jpg

I would never admit, with pictures, that you have a different reading avg to pep on a dead carrier ....... dude, you have some messed up shit.

I would never admit, with pictures, that you have a different reading avg to pep on a dead carrier ....... dude, you have some messed up shit.

I'm sure Mack read the Bird book and calibrated the PEP carrier potentiometer. The meter readings alone clearly indicate you are not looking at a dead carrier. The only thing messed up is that it's still not clear to you even after in depth explanation.

Pictures serve only as an educational addition to this thread and it's too bad it falls on many a closed mind.

The radio pictured show a modulated average carrier and a modulated PEP signal.

workingvoltageavrreading.jpg

wokintvoltagepepreadiong.jpg

If you started to ask more questions than the amount of stupid answers you seem to have you would know that both of those pictures show that particular radio operating at a modulated level, can you say AUDIO?

Those picture were taken to show my power supply voltage would stand up under modulation.

And here's a picture of the radio not under modulation. Not that it matters the radio was setup by John aka (Tommy 16NJ 2Watt) chi chi!

atrestvoltage.jpg

Last edited:
........ is what I think you meant ?

No, Mack meant what he said. Both carriers are fully modulated. Now do you get a sense for how much power modulation actually adds to output power on voice peaks and how average ignores it?

Now do you get a sense for how much power modulation actually adds to output power on voice peaks and how average ignores it?
I fully understand that a modulated signal will generally show 20-30% of PEP, I'm just not sure what a "modulated average carrier" is.

I fully understand that a modulated signal will generally show 20-30% of PEP, I'm just not sure what a "modulated average carrier" is.

We all know you're just itching to use the term "RMS" so go ahead and show your peers what you really want to say.
music-smiley-019.gif

We all know you're just itching to use the term "RMS" so go ahead and show your peers what you really want to say.
music-smiley-019.gif
Why would I do that? I pointed out back around the same post where you told me that a 43p measured peak and not pep, that there was no usable meaning of rms wattage.

I own a bird meter with a peak board I installed and calibrated my self and it shows the same peak with or without the compressor turned on but it does not show pep and I'm sure yours does niether so please explain where you arrive at the

BTW, there is absolutely no such thing as RMS power or watts. Only RMS voltage and amperage

Why would I do that? I pointed out back around the same post where you told me that a 43p measured peak and not pep, that there was no usable meaning of rms wattage.

I know you said it but we all know you're just saying that to sound smart but deep down inside you know you believe,< kinda like santa claus.

Maybe I should set my radio up with a very high input swr from one of my crappy amps I have on the top shelf and then check my output with a modulation meter to make myself feel better.:w00t:
hey maybe you could take that 50 volt cap out of your pep slug hook the coax to your mouth hook that 50 volt cap to your tongue and measure your modulation peaks of course you know your average meter wont pick it up,but that pep meter should do somersaults :LOL::LOL:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.