• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

5/8 antenna

HOMERBB is the master GURU of antenna brewing, you could learn alot from him 918. Another place is HY Electronics. donʻt order the Starduster. lol.

I have never run any of the afore mentioned antennas in this area. I am in Rogers, AR. 100 miles SE of you, and I know why you are sweating the Spring/Early Summer weather here. We are both right in the Tornado Alley corridor, and even without a twister on the ground winds here commonly approach 35 - 40 mph for hours on end and even higher as fronts move through. I have watched my antennas (all homebrew) twist and turn in 65 - 100 MPH winds. Fortunately, for those that ended up with permanent bends or breaks i had far less money in them than most do for there store-bought models.

Good luck with your purchase.

What do I have up now? A homebrew Moxon, and a vertical sleeved dipole. Also a loop in the attic just in case the others fall over. There are two or three EFHW verticals I built in the area that others are running with good results.

HOMERBB is the master GURU of antenna brewing, you could learn alot from him 918. Another place is HY Electronics. donʻt order the Starduster. lol.

Yeah I ordered the sirio 2016 from HY, best price online, 145 shipped.
I am very excited.
and Homer, thats absolutely right. Pretty nervous about putting the amtenna up in the heart of storm season, its fast approaching. Those march winds are going to be barging in anytime now.

Probably only going to mount the antenna 10-15ft until that all passes then ill work on getting it higher if i can build a mast strong enough to support it at great heights.
Its gonna go onto a piece of thick 10ft conduit bolted do a post for now, oughta work out alright.

If the wind ends up destroying it, i will just put up something cheap like the A99, but im betting the sirio will last. I read some reviews from a guy who owns one in OKC and he says ots holding up just fine in the wind.

I have never run any of the afore mentioned antennas in this area. I am in Rogers, AR. 100 miles SE of you, and I know why you are sweating the Spring/Early Summer weather here. We are both right in the Tornado Alley corridor, and even without a twister on the ground winds here commonly approach 35 - 40 mph for hours on end and even higher as fronts move through. I have watched my antennas (all homebrew) twist and turn in 65 - 100 MPH winds. Fortunately, for those that ended up with permanent bends or breaks i had far less money in them than most do for there store-bought models.

What do I have up now? A homebrew Moxon, and a vertical sleeved dipole. Also a loop in the attic just in case the others fall over. There are two or three EFHW verticals I built in the area that others are running with good results.

Homer BB i read your post on the homebrew moxon i really like it and have been looking at old fishing poles for a moxon build keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Reactions: HomerBB
There isn't enough of a difference between the two to make any noticeable difference. We are talking about a 0.015 difference in wavelength.

The DB

Yup. It's not like that extra 6 1/2 inches is going to be noticed or actually make ANY kind of difference at all.

OK Guys get your minds out of the gutter. We are talking antennas here. :D

Reactions: wavrider and binrat
Hey guys. Finally worked up the courage to order my base antenna, tried to pick up a Sirio tornado from dnj radio but they were sold out and wont have tuem again for months.... Well, conditions could be gone by then, i dont have time to wait lol. Since i cant find it anywhere else for sale, i may change antennas.
What would be the best ground plane antenna i could put up instead that is omparable in price and simplicity as the tornado?
The antennas im considering: Maco V58, Sirio GPE27, Sirio 827. How would these compare to the tornado? Has to be broadbanded enough to cover 10 and 11 meters, even more frequency coverage would be a bonus.
i dont want to go the fiberglass route with an imax or antron, i want something with a lower noise floor. Feel free to make suggestions on other kinds of antennas.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.
I use a Sirio GPE27 for 27.385 LSB and use it on 28.300 to 28.500 USB 10 meter and do not need a tuner, the swr is flat on cb and 1.3 on 10 meter , best dx antenna I ever have used.

I do like how broadbanded the imax is... what i worry about with a fiberglass antenna is RFI and TVI interference people talk about with the fiberglass antennas. I live in town fairly close to my neighbors. I dont want to cause any interference that may annoy neighbors because eventually it will have an HF all mode transceiver hooked up to it which would be an increase in power. (I can't advise you on the antenna but the best investment I may have made concerning my antenna system was the LMR 400. Know this if.you don't need the coax to be flexible, the LMR 400s excellent. But if for any reason you need your coax to be flexible purchase the flesh type. LMR 400s outer insulation is as stiff as a copper lined high voltage use cable. I'm exaggerating a bit but it is basically a plastic coating as. opposed to a rubbery type.) For the coax I plan to use something like 9913 or LMR400.
Between the Maco V58 and the Sirio 827 which do you think is more durable and suited for my QTH?

Any forum members have any experience with the 827 or V58?

I use a Sirio GPE27 for 27.385 LSB and use it on 28.300 to 28.500 USB 10 meter and do not need a tuner, the swr is flat on cb and 1.3 on 10 meter , best dx antenna I ever have used.
I like the design of the Tornado better than the one I have (27 GPE). If this one ever fails going to get another Sirio , I like the Hygain penetrator but those 9 foot radials in 80 mph winds can get bent to heck.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.