• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

70cm Antenna

Jaymom

Mar 14, 2011
Ocala, FL.
I just ordered a Yaesu FT-7900R 2M & 70cm transceiver. I have a J-Pole antenna for 2M and I'm not sure what to use for a 70cm antenna. Would it be possible to use the J-Pole? If not what do you suggest?

Have a blessed day,
Harold

I just ordered a Yaesu FT-7900R 2M & 70cm transceiver. I have a J-Pole antenna for 2M and I'm not sure what to use for a 70cm antenna. Would it be possible to use the J-Pole? If not what do you suggest?

Have a blessed day,
Harold

You need a dual-band antenna.

They do make dual-band J-poles, however, if yours is not one of them, then it will obviously not work.

It all depends what you want to do. Higher gain antennas are taller, and produce a low angle of radiation. To work well, they must be mounted 30+ ft above ground. Also, be sure to keep your coaxial cable runs short, and to use a high-quality low-loss coaxial cable such as RG8U, LMR400, or Belden 9913.

Obviously if you intend to work satellites, you don't want a low angle of radiation, you want more of a circular pattern.

Believe it or not, that 2 meter 'J'-pole will work 70 cm just fine. Expect something close to a 2:1 SWR, but that's not all that uncommon and won't harm that Yaesu at all.
- 'Doc

Take the approximate center of 2 meters (146 MHz) and multiply it by 3. I get 438, which is pretty close to the 70 cm frequency. If you make a 1/4 wavelength ground plane for 2M (~19 inches long), it will be very close to 3/4 wavelength for 70 cm., like Doc said.

Odd multiples of 1/4 wavelength. Good thing to keep in mind for antenna work.

I'm experimenting Beetle. Love this hobby. Found a 70m J-Pole also.

Doc, I was told the same thing at our last club meeting. Waiting for my Yaesu to get here now.

Many thanks,
Harold

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned