• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A Christmas Story on 27.3850 LSB

CM-4441

Dec 10, 2010
NE Florida
I was driving home from a VA appointment in Gainesville, FL Tuesday morning. I was listening to channel 38LSB to 3 or 4 men talking over their cups of coffee. You know the type of conversation, teasing about things and just having a good time.

The subject got around to Christmas. This one guy that turned out to be from Kentucky originally, was telling about a Christmas long ago when he was a little kid. From his voice and some of the things he was saying I guess his age would be in the lower 70's.

It seems that this one year, three days before Christmas there was a knock on their door. His mother and all 6 kids went to the door. Their father was out working in the woods making .75 cents an hour using a 2 man hand saw cutting down trees. Back to the door now. It was a man from the "light company" saying she needed to pay her bill or he was to "turn off the lights". She asked how much was owed and he replied $6.00. Her reply was that she didn't have that kind of money. He then said, "okay I'll come back after the first of the year, but if you don't have the money I'll have to shut off the lights."

On Christmas eve there was a knock on the door, it was that same man from the "light company". He had a bunch of toys all wrapped up and a big bag of candy! He gave that stuff to her then handed her an envelope with money in it for her "light bill".

He said that was the best Christmas he ever had as a child. He also said he would take that memory to the grave with him.

I thought about that all the way home. I just had to share that with you guys! That is what Christmas is all about I think. That man went out of his was to help someone without asking and he made a typical poor Christmas (for the 6 kids) into an ever lasting memory.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Terry

Good story. That's what it's all about,giving. Unfortunately the emphasis seems to be all about the getting rather than the giving. In this day and age of plastic money I almost never carry any cash over $20 in my wallet. Yesterday while leaving the store there was a nice old fellow whom I had seen around town often but don't know his name, from the Salvation Army standing by the door. He asked me if I wanted a pocket calender which I knew was his way of asking for a donation. I looked in my wallet and paused for a second.He said "That's OK. Everybody uses plastic these days.Have a good Christmas". The reason I paused was that all I had in my wallet was a single $20 bill and I feel like a cheapskate asking for change. I managed to fumble around with my loaded arms enough to get the corner of it out and told him to pull on the corner and take what comes out. He was surprised that I would offer all $20 but as I left I felt good about it. It's certainly not like it was my last $20 mind you but it made his day and mine too.

Good story,

That would be the guy we reworked his Avanti Sigma 4 last year, and that FT900 sure sounds good going through that Sigma 4.

Yes local coffee club meets about every day.

Merry Christmas to all.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio