• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A99

Always thought about the GP kit for mine and never bit the bullet . But that's a whole other thread to get re-hashed again . Some have said yes others no .;)o_O

I'm currently running the A-99 . I use it as my quick and easy backup whenever I need to take down my main antenna for maintenance.
It seems to transmit almost as well as my 1982 model Penetrator 500, but that is all.
The A-99 is no where as good on the receive as my Penetrator 500 .....Doesn't even come close.
And it also pulls in a lot of RF type static noise, and I do mean a lot .....
I am way out in the very rural ranch country, so no city static noises, no neighbors, and no overhead power lines.
It is just plain noisy on the receive.

Reactions: kopcicle
Ahh the memories , my first base antenna was a 1/4 wave GP from RS I believe it was under $20 it got destroyed in the blizzard of "78" here in RI . I went to a Big Stick then an A-99 receive on that cheap RS antenna was superb compared to the Fiberglass ones . jmo

Cb neigbor down the road ran one for years and loved it. The ice busted it and now he runs a p 500 and isnt quite as happy.

Reactions: Marconi
I have had a A99 up for about 7 or 8 years works great. And it will tune with my HF internal tuner for 12, 10, 15, 17 and I do not recall 20 meters. So I am very happy with it. I can hear stations that my friends cant and they run 2000's I am up about 23' at the base.

Reactions: Marconi

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.