• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ABOUT BUYING A BRAND NEW TEXAS STAR

Sonar

Apr 8, 2016
I've an acquaintance interested in purchasing a Texas Star. He's currently looking at the 667 V. I understand that once Texas Star Amplifiers are received by the new owner they require a modification in Order to get them working as an 11 amplifier. Is this a complicated modification? Does anyone no a reputable seller that does the modification before delivery to the new owner? Also what are the amperage requirements for the 667 V?
I assumed it was above 50 amps but below 100. I advised him that two 50 AMP Megawatt power supplies would work fine. I did advise him that I have read that the 50 amp megawatt power supplies do have noizy fans. Is there a single power supply with the amperage required to properly run a 667 V that's not going to sound like a jet engine taking off once the fans are operationable? PS. Any suggestions on other Texas Star Amplifiers with similar output to the 667 V would would be appreciated. Especially if there's a reason he should stay away from the 667 V.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

Stay away from the 667.

The 500V is a better deal, and will sound better.

The internal driver in the 667V is more like an infernal driver, IMHO. You didn't say what kind of radio he'll want to use with it. The 500V is better suited to a radio with two finals.

The small difference in wattmeter reading has no influence on your transmitting range.

The "conversion" requires removing a circuit board that makes it a "CW transmitter" if you solder a crystal onto it.

Another couple of small parts get removed to turn it back into a linear amplifier.

Haven't done the "conversion" in nearly a year, but it's not a challenge if you have basic amplifier experience.

Stay away from the 667.

The 500V is a better deal, and will sound better.

The internal driver in the 667V is more like an infernal driver, IMHO. You didn't say what kind of radio he'll want to use with it. The 500V is better suited to a radio with two finals.

The small difference in wattmeter reading has no influence on your transmitting range.

The "conversion" requires removing a circuit board that makes it a "CW transmitter" if you solder a crystal onto it.

Another couple of small parts get removed to turn it back into a linear amplifier.

Haven't done the "conversion" in nearly a year, but it's not a challenge if you have basic amplifier experience.

Initially it will it will be used with a sonar FS 2340. But I have an idea that he will eventually be moving on to a modern am SSB transceiver. He might even use two separate station setup's. One amp for the sonar, and one for an am ssb modern transceiver. Using an antenna switch to go between his am rig (sonar) and amp, and whatever modern am ssb rig he might eventually purchases along with another amp for the house. For assumption sake let's assume it will be used with the sonar as it's the only base transciver he currently owns, and has not expressed any interest in SSB. He does have a modern am ssb rig in the mobile, but never heard him mention using it in a base capacity or even operating it in the SSB mode while in the mobile.

I agree. Plus the new 667's have two mosfet drivers going into the DEI 2879's, I like that even worse then the original 667's. The 500v would be a much better choice. I always liked the TnT line from X-Force. I have not checked them out in some time but here is a link.
http://www.xforceamps.com/category/TNT-SSB-Models-35
Upon my advice he is going to stay away from class C amplifiers. And I am fairly sure all those X-Force etc etc etc are Class C biased. That's the main reason I suggested a Texas Star. My research shows that they are ab or ab-1 biased.

My research shows that they are ab or ab-1 biased.

They technically are (with no drive) but since the bias is unregulated and has no thermal tracking they drift towards class C as they are driven harder and heat up. The bias is just good enough to make them sound ok on SSB. There's not much difference between the xforce bias in their tnt line and what Texas star does. I am not recommending one brand over the other. I'm out of the loop on who's building decent cb amps these days.

Upon my advice he is going to stay away from class C amplifiers. And I am fairly sure all those X-Force etc etc etc are Class C biased. That's the main reason I suggested a Texas Star. My research shows that they are ab or ab-1 biased.

Copper Electronics is as good a place as any to purchase a new Texas Star 500V amplifier. They are rated as class AB .......
And getting the amplifier from Copper Electronics, it will come with the conversion already completed.
I personally have never had any issues purchasing from Copper over a number of years.
The Texas Star 500V does a pretty good job for what they are used for.
I agree about staying away from the Texas Star 667V.
A 75 amp power supply is sufficient to operate the amp, although I do not recommend running the amplifier and the radio with the same power supply.

They technically are (with no drive) but since the bias is unregulated and has no thermal tracking they drift towards class C as they are driven harder and heat up. The bias is just good enough to make them sound ok on SSB. There's not much difference between the xforce bias in their tnt line and what Texas star does. I am not recommending one brand over the other. I'm out of the loop on who's building decent cb amps these days.
That's very good information. While I am helping the gentleman who purchased my 2340 I am getting a lesson as I too am considering switching over from my sweep tube amplifiers to transistorized/pill amps.
Both the one I sold (Sonar fs 2340) and the one I kept are set for 11/2 - 2 watts dead key and 17 pep.
The person who purchased the 2340 as well as myself are both looking for an amplifier that will hit the 500 watt range with the amount of Drive listed above (11/2 dk 17 pep). Any suggestions for non class c amps that will sound good on AM as well as SSB would be greatly appreciated. I can't speak for him but as for myself I would prefer a base amplifier. But having to use a power supply isn't an issue and is what I'm expecting.
I do believe he too has no intention of ever using it in the mobile and would prefer a base amplifier.
I've found it almost imposible to find a non class C transistorized base amplifier.
I owned four of those "Palomar 500's with the 35 amp power supply built in.
I swore I'd keep the best cosmetically looking one for myself and did for some time but eventually sold it.
Bad move! Those amps have a poor reputation, but whether they were branded as Superstar, Palomar, Boomer, excetera excetera they all worked nicely, and sounded great on am as well as SSB.
They were advertised and it was also screen printed on the front of the panel that they were ab1 biased. I never bought into that and was told by many that it wasn't true. They most likely weren't, and aren't ab1 biased but they definitely weren't class C.
If they were then maybe I'm misled or ignorant as to why class C amplifiers have such a bad reputation for not being technically capablecapable of sounding good on both modes (AM, SSB.)
I'm not in a rush myself. But I would like to help and have been helping the person who purchased my 2340. As of this moment he purchased the Vector 4000, and the Autek wm 1 I suggested. He's on his way to having an excellent AM station. All he wants is an amplifier. Since he cannot restore or repair the sweep tube type amplifiers that are available by the dozens I suggested he'd stay away from them. With the little information I've gleaned from the few replies so far on the Texas Star 667v the TS 500 sounds like the ticket. But I have yet to hear someone reply as to whether that amplifier will work and work nicely with the am only sonar 2340. Any advice and or Leeds would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
If you look around there are a few builders that's use true regulated thermal tracking in their amps

That's very good information. While I am helping the gentleman who purchased my 2340 I am getting a lesson as I too am considering switching over from my sweep tube amplifiers to transistorized/pill amps.
Both the one I sold (Sonar fs 2340) and the one I kept are set for 11/2 - 2 watts dead key and 17 pep.
The person who purchased the 2340 as well as myself are both looking for an amplifier that will hit the 500 watt range with the amount of Drive listed above (11/2 dk 17 pep). Any suggestions for non class c amps that will sound good on AM as well as SSB would be greatly appreciated. I can't speak for him but as for myself I would prefer a base amplifier. But having to use a power supply isn't an issue and is what I'm expecting.
I do believe he too has no intention of ever using it in the mobile and would prefer a base amplifier.
I've found it almost imposible to find a non class C transistorized base amplifier.
I owned four of those "Palomar 500's with the 35 amp power supply built in.
I swore I'd keep the best cosmetically looking one for myself and did for some time but eventually sold it.
Bad move! Those amps have a poor reputation, but whether they were branded as Superstar, Palomar, Boomer, excetera excetera they all worked nicely, and sounded great on am as well as SSB.
They were advertised and it was also screen printed on the front of the panel that they were ab1 biased. I never bought into that and was told by many that it wasn't true. They most likely weren't, and aren't ab1 biased but they definitely weren't class C.
If they were then maybe I'm misled or ignorant as to why class C amplifiers have such a bad reputation for not being technically capablecapable of sounding good on both modes (AM, SSB.)
I'm not in a rush myself. But I would like to help and have been helping the person who purchased my 2340. As of this moment he purchased the Vector 4000, and the Autek wm 1 I suggested. He's on his way to having an excellent AM station. All he wants is an amplifier. Since he cannot restore or repair the sweep tube type amplifiers that are available by the dozens I suggested he'd stay away from them. With the little information I've gleaned from the few replies so far on the Texas Star 667v the TS 500 sounds like the ticket. But I have yet to hear someone reply as to whether that amplifier will work and work nicely with the am only sonar 2340. Any advice and or Leeds would be greatly appreciated.

If the radio is dead keying 1.5 to 2 watts and and swinging to 17 watts you're already overmodulated. It probably sounds fine on the air but let's call a spade a spade. In this case I wouldn't get too picky about the amplifier. The Texas Star 500 may be the right one for him. Even though a class C davemade style amp with 4 2879s would work on AM and has a superior cooling system it will need more drive to hit 500 watts than the TS 500. This is because of its design and because it is class C. Even if you add biasing the xforce will need more drive.

People get too caught up on biasing. It is important but they overlook the design of the amplifier which is also important. If it isn't linear it will splatter no matter how good the bias circuit is. I have yet to see a cb amp that was linear. You can play around with different drive levels and an oscilloscope to find the sweet spot and make them run fairly clean.

If he had a more powerful radio I would recommend a single 3-500z tube amplifier to hit 500 pep. It would make a clean 125 watts AM carrier and 600+ on ssb. Sweep tube amps are a money pit. The tubes are good for 80 to 100 pep a piece but everyone in my area beats them to death and has to replace tubes every couple of years.

The bipolar Palomar, boomer, galaxy, etc style amps belong in the junk pile. Most of them make fine oscillators and the transistors aren't even good by the time they come in for repair. Before I knew any better I talked on a palomar 450hd for years that had issues. Everyone said it sounded great but it was a filthy oscillating pig. I did repair a Palomar 450 fet amp for a friend last year and was pleasantly surprised. After I got it running it was a decent little amp. It had 1 erf7530 driving 4. Its more like a 300 watt amp though.

Anyway....The TS500 may be the one. With the output of the radio he has it is probably the simplest option. I don't really care for the layout of the Texas Star and have ran across a few with oscillation issues. A lot has changed since then and I don't know what kind of quality they are putting out today.

The Texas Star website shows the 667V puts out 500W with 4W input and 650W with 20W input. The 500V does 250W with 4W input and 500W with 20W input. It seems like the driver in the 667V would be needed for 1.5W dead key with 17W pep?
http://www.texasstar.com/export/specifications.html
Does anyone know if these amps will key correctly with 1.5W dead key?

Per their spec sheet the ts 500 amp is not linear. 4 watts = 250 and 20 watts = 500. 5 times the input to double the power out. Biased or not that isn't good.

They are probably designed this way because they know the average user will have a low keying super swinging radio . 1.5 watts will probably make the relay engage if that's what you're asking.

Copper Electronics is as good a place as any to purchase a new Texas Star 500V amplifier. They are rated as class AB .......
And getting the amplifier from Copper Electronics, it will come with the conversion already completed.
I personally have never had any issues purchasing from Copper over a number of years.
The Texas Star 500V does a pretty good job for what they are used for.
I agree about staying away from the Texas Star 667V.
A 75 amp power supply is sufficient to operate the amp, although I do not recommend running the amplifier and the radio with the same power supply.
Running the PS with another appliance isn't an issue. I don't own any mobile rigs. And eveything else I own meter, and modulator have their own ps or Wallwart. Good information. Thanks.

If the radio is dead keying 1.5 to 2 watts and and swinging to 17 watts you're already overmodulated. It probably sounds fine on the air but let's call a spade a spade. In this case I wouldn't get too picky about the amplifier. The Texas Star 500 may be the right one for him. Even though a class C davemade style amp with 4 2879s would work on AM and has a superior cooling system it will need more drive to hit 500 watts than the TS 500. This is because of its design and because it is class C. Even if you add biasing the xforce will need more drive.

People get too caught up on biasing. It is important but they overlook the design of the amplifier which is also important. If it isn't linear it will splatter no matter how good the bias circuit is. I have yet to see a cb amp that was linear. You can play around with different drive levels and an oscilloscope to find the sweet spot and make them run fairly clean.

If he had a more powerful radio I would recommend a single 3-500z tube amplifier to hit 500 pep. It would make a clean 125 watts AM carrier and 600+ on ssb. Sweep tube amps are a money pit. The tubes are good for 80 to 100 pep a piece but everyone in my area beats them to death and has to replace tubes every couple of years.

The bipolar Palomar, boomer, galaxy, etc style amps belong in the junk pile. Most of them make fine oscillators and the transistors aren't even good by the time they come in for repair. Before I knew any better I talked on a palomar 450hd for years that had issues. Everyone said it sounded great but it was a filthy oscillating pig. I did repair a Palomar 450 fet amp for a friend last year and was pleasantly surprised. After I got it running it was a decent little amp. It had 1 erf7530 driving 4. Its more like a 300 watt amp though.

Anyway....The TS500 may be the one. With the output of the radio he has it is probably the simplest option. I don't really care for the layout of the Texas Star and have ran across a few with oscillation issues. A lot has changed since then and I don't know what kind of quality they are putting out today.
I've only had one experience using a transistorized amplifier. And although the amp has a bad reputation it worked fine for me and I got nothing but great reports.
I've been using sweep tube amplifiers for as long as I could remember. To my knowledge most of the sweep tube Palomar, D&A ect ect are ab.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say running my sonar at 2 dk and 17 is already over modulated? But still sounds good. Are you talking about what it looks like on a scope? If so that is not important to me. I don't own a scope. And run my rig with an amplifier. Always. I always run my transceivers and amps with a 1:4. Current output driving the 350z with the sonar shows 125 dk and 460-500 pep (on both my autek wm1's.) I Get excelenent audio reports. Always.
If I'm splattering anyone iveI never been told so.
I would've thought you gatthered I'm not running an ideal station by my op and questions contained in it.
I do my best with what ImI working with. If someone's over modulated yet sounds good to the other stations he's holding a qso with what's the issue? If you're running 11/2- 2 watts dk 17 pep you're already over modulated. It probably sounds fine on the air but let's call a spade a spade. Is that something similar to if a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it does it make a sound? I'm not getting your point and hope you'll clarify your statement. Thanks.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.