1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Advice...

Discussion in 'Announcements & Open Forum' started by Louisiana Mudd, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Louisiana Mudd

Louisiana Mudd X Marine Researcher - AUV / ASV Pilot

Within the next week or two I will be testing through General. I am open to suggestions in regards to equipment specifically what antennas I should look at so I erect the tower complete the first time.

Also what radios should I look at? I don't mind spending the money on radios so once again I will be good for a while.

Kindest regards,
    Mudd

G GOLLY WAlly and Slowmover like this.

2. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

The first thing is to figure out what bands you are interested in. I use a doublet antenna, home brew ladder line and homebrew balanced tuner. That's not nearly as difficult as it may sound but will take some effort. It will cover all of the HF bands.

The popular choice these days is the end fed half wave. I don't recommend that unless it's a last resort. There are more HF antenna options than you can shake a stick at. How high your tower is and how long of a dipole can fit on your property is another factor.

There are also vertical antennas but you'll beed radials to get good performance. You can buy one or make one. If you use a dipole it can be fed against some radials. Then you'll have vertical and horizontal.

If you're wanting a new rig the Yaesu ftdx3000 is a nice one. The Icom 7300 is very popular and has a lot of features for the money. With the price of older rigs I would buy a new one unless you are looking for something to work on. Buy an Anan 7000 and never look back. :)

If you're going to work 160, 75 and 40 I would plan on buying an amplifier later. Some purists don't have an amp and don't think anyone else should either but your mileage may vary. Good luck on the test.

3. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

For first 100-120 DXCC on phone wires and 100W are enough. Next step is Yagi and it's enough for 200-240 DXCC and 100W.
    Than amplifier and more/better Yagis will improve.
    Biggest improvement is going to CW, no doubt.
    Mike

Louisiana Mudd likes this.
  4. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

160 and 80 meter yagis are fine business if you can swing it....literally.

Tokin, Robb and 2NC995 like this.
  5. 2NC995

2NC995 DAN

lol.

6. Louisiana Mudd

Thank you my friend!

7. Blackcat630

Blackcat630 Sr. Member

Do plenty of research and decide what interests you and more importantly how much $ you want to spend. Good luck on the testing!

8. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

To get started I never recommend a radio because what I like might be completely wrong for you, I will however say again build yourself a fan dipole and add wires for the bands you want and use a tuner for the rest. I will say don't overlook used gear, I have never bought new and I am perfectly happy.

9. Louisiana Mudd

Thanks a bunch BC

10. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Elmer

ICOM IC-7610, ACOM 2100 Amplifier and Palstar HF Auto Tuner.

Louisiana Mudd likes this.
  11. binrat

binrat WDX Club Coordinator
    Staff Member

My advice is a simple basic HF rig as 1st. Ft891, ic718, ts480sat.

12. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

Buy once, cry once.

13. Louisiana Mudd

Thanks my friend

14. Louisiana Mudd

Haha That's usually how it works.

15. Jaydean

Jaydean New Member

Acom 1000 amplifier for sure. I have used quite a few amps but the Acom is a real gem.