• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ah the good old days

good ol' days indeed. i remember the isles of components in RadioShack. went to buy a RadioShack SWR meter to tune my K40. the manager Richard asked me what i needed for. i told him to tune my K40 on my car. he said, take it home, tune it, and bring it back. :O

years later my mother bought a cell phone at RadioShack. they sold her a battery package. new battery a year for 2 years. when she went to get a new battery, they told her "we don't offer that anymore". :mad: knew right then RadioShack was done for. RIP

My first CB antenna was that $9.95 1/4 wave GP in the ad above. Paired it up with a 23 channel Megatone mobile radio (won in a church raffle) on a $14.95 2 amp R/S power supply.

Damn, I'm getting old!!

David

My favorite Radio Shack story.... and it is true.... it happened to me.
At the time I worked at the Johnson Space Center here in Houston.

I had been looking at a project that called for a quad op amp and I saw in the RS Catalog that they carried the exact one I needed. So... out on a lunch trip one day I stopped by the Clear Lake store.

Walked in... and I knew right where to go.... so I just cut through the place. As I passed the sales counter... the friendly guy faced me and smiled... and said

"can I help you find something?".

I said, "I just need to look at your linear integrated circuits"

His face went blank first... then angry...... as he growled back to me....

"WE DON'T SELL LINEARS HERE!".

I didn't say anything else to him. Just kept walking.

In the w-a-y past: purchased a 6.3 volt filament transformer from RS. When I got home measured voltage with trusty Triplett VOM. Measured 8+ volts. Returned to store and knowlegable clerk advised it would measure 6.3 volts under load. DUHH!!!

thee .64 is what i have now,, of course some one in its past burned up the circuit board loading coil but i made a new one that will probably do 1k now,,,, any one watch young sheldon? he seems struck on going to radio shack for parts and computers.....
is that for Europe only? :p never heard of a .64 wave before.

Reactions: Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.