• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ammo Can Portable Radio

Shadetree Mechanic

Delaware Base Station 808
Oct 23, 2017
The First State (Delaware)
I am putting together a few ammo can radios and thought I would share. Standard 50 cal cans are fairly short, and most radios are longer than I realized until I tried to get something to fit. The tall 50 is a little bigger, but still small as far as radios go.

I was able to squeak a Lincoln 2+ and a Midland 115 in, along with an 8ah lithium battery and 10A power supply in the tall 50.

Here is my inspiration for this project, I wish I could make something as nice.

IMG_20221114_163943436_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221114_164130037_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221114_164146990_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221114_164301985_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221114_164330508_HDR.jpg

Awesome, be prepared to start a new business venture for STAC or Shadetree Talking Ammo Cans. Great work my friend. I like the genuine 1985 Pontiac Grand AM cigarette Lighter. I would drive to Delaware to buy one.
Thanks for the idea, S. T. A. C.! Might be part of my retirement activities.

The lighter socket is for charging the battery, and to power 12v accessories if needed. Then I thought "A way to make fire is always good to have." Even though I quit smoking over 20 years ago, my wife might get some use out of it for her smokes.

I am putting together a few ammo can radios and thought I would share. Standard 50 cal cans are fairly short, and most radios are longer than I realized until I tried to get something to fit. The tall 50 is a little bigger, but still small as far as radios go.

I was able to squeak a Lincoln 2+ and a Midland 115 in, along with an 8ah lithium battery and 10A power supply in the tall 50.

Here is my inspiration for this project, I wish I could make something as nice.

View attachment 61296View attachment 61297View attachment 61298View attachment 61299View attachment 61300
This is just TOO Cool. :cool:
What a great idea!!

And last but not least, President Bill 2 with a Midland GMRS 115 in a small can. Might not be able to fit both a power supply and a battery. We will see.
How is the noise out of that power supply? I've tried a couple (more than a couple) of them but just took out my Rx. I tried to assemble some filtering but got lazy.
Supplier recommendations?

How is the noise out of that power supply? I've tried a couple (more than a couple) of them but just took out my Rx. I tried to assemble some filtering but got lazy.
Supplier recommendations?
You are correct about the noise. With the antenna unplugged, it makes a difference. Unfortunately, the noise floor at this location is normally S5 to S7 and the power supply is relatively quiet. I believe a local business by the highway is doing it. One time they must have turned off their junk and the noise floor went to zero. I had to check my antenna to make sure it didn't fall over.

I have a few Mega Watt power supplies in the shack, and they are nice and quiet. Unfortunately, they don't make a 10A. The smallest they have is 30A .

I am definitely open to suggestions for a small clean supply.

Chris

What a great Idea, I would like to do that with my lincoln 2 with rt1 finals and my mfj mobile tuner.
If you do, make sure to get the "tall" 50 caliber can. This is what I used.
Rothco Mil Spec Ammo Cans.50 Caliber Tall https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IIVA8U4/?tag=worradfor-20

I will see if I can get some pictures of the bracket for the Lincoln. Because of the bump in the center of the floor of the can, the radio needs to sit in the top adjustment slot in the bracket. Instead of two knobs on each side, I used one Allen head bolt per side.

Reactions: Brother DXer
Yeah I like that idea the radios and accessories in a ammo can. Got a big porker run coming up were 50 or more jeeps and other 4x4 vehicles all run a off road porker run contest, and big raffle and BBQ after all the hoo raw.

I set up CB, VHF, and UHF antennas and radios at the camp site so should anyone get lost or stuck I can call in the head dude and get them fixed up. They run a sweep with a couple of jeeps thru the hole area after the run to verify no one is lost, stuck, or broken down. This year we will even have the right maps.

A six foot table with all the radio gear, amps, watt meters, speakers, power supply, and a automobile battery gets crowded. If you put down your coffee cup on the he radio table you may not be able to find it. So thats a safety concern.

Jay in the Grate Mojave Desert

Attachments

• IMG_0456 (1).JPG
    IMG_0456 (1).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 99

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated