• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amp recommendations/ box builders

cakeman

Oct 23, 2008
I am going to be purchasing and amp soo. Will be for mobile use.
I had my mind set on a Texas Star DX500 but after reading the last few months I might want something else.
I want an amp that is well biilt. I talk ssb and am. What would yall recommend for me. Production amp or small time builder? I have read alot lately that the texas stars are over rated and just wanted to check before I spend money. Thanks for your help.

The only person that I really trust these days is a forum member here. I am pretty sure he can build whatever you like. His member name is Crusher.
He knows what he is doing. Just a matter of sending a PM his way about what you want.
Have not heard a whole lot about BM technologies amp, but from the little bit of work Crusher has done for me and the rep he has on this and some other forums as well, I would not be one bit worried about what he built for me if I were to have an amp built. But that is JMO.
Not knocking BM technologies one bit, especially if I think the person that build them is who I think it is. Leave BBI alone AT ALL COSTS! Again, this is JMO. Maybe he has magically transforms into a real amp builder by now but I highly doubt it. Even with all the fancy equipment, it doesn't mean shit if you don't understand the fundamentals. Again, JMO. More dollars than sense LOL!!
But hey it's not a bad thing as it keeps a lot of amp repairmen busy!!
Besides its not easy to get a class AB bias thermally tracking amp that will be clean and work like it is supposed to.
So again be prepared to break out the wallet for a better quality amp. Worth the extra money!! JMHO's.
Hope this helps and good luck with whatever amp you get.
Also get one without a driver, like a 1x4 or similar. Get a straight 4 transistor or what you wish for power out using a clean radio and loaf the amp along instead of driving the snot out of it to see your watt meter dance. Trust me, you'll be much happier you didn't. And use a clean radio and also make sure your antenna system is the best it can be!! Again, JMHO's, but I would venture to say that most would agree with me. At any rate, again, hope all this helps and enjoy whatever you get.
73 and God Bless.

X2 on BM Tech. If you want a good SSB amp he was building AB biased transistor amps at one point and probably still is. The bias circuit was regulated with thermal tracking. Texas Star amps are crap but some people are used to that and think they are decent amps.

Be aware that an ever shrinking supply of original 2sc2879 Toshiba brand RF power transistors has caused prices of them to skyrocket. In almost 100% of the new builds, Non-Toshiba transistor substitutes are being utilized in these amps for obvious cost saving reasons... unless you specify to the amp builder that it be produced with the Toshibas. This will raise the build cost significantly, but will give you a much more reliable device in the long run IMO.

I have several old school X-Force Toshiba 2sc2879 amps that are very forgiving and keep working strong to this day (y)

Another other option is to search for an older used, non-warranted amp with the Toshibas in there already. I've had pretty good luck finding them on Craig's list, CB radio get-togethers (coffee breaks/ keydowns) and Ham Radio fests over the years. Sometimes they show up on CB and Ham radio forums like this one. I do not trust eBay that much.

Well that depends on what you really want and how much reliable rms power you feel you need to have.

I would recommend you get an amp from Telstar Electronics. I am not not only the president but I am a client too! LOL I am just a customer. Seriously though I own some of their products including an amp and I love their products.

Keep in mind his has SWR protection, reverse polarity protection, thermal protection and true AB bias that is compensated constantly with temp. so it stays in class AB constantly. Check out the PDF for each amp. Also keep in mind his power rating are done at 14.2 volts not somethign crazy like 18-21 volts. He is not dead keying 40 watt's swinging to 120 to drive these.

I do not generally consider so called "custom" builders because they can not or will not give me true AB biasing, thermal and SWR protection. I also would not buy from anyone using fake or generic no name transistors that do not have published white paper's and OEM accountability. These unit cost too much and you often have too long of a wait time to mess around with no-name Chinese clone parts.

I am not going to lie I wish he had a 4 transistor amp instead of just 1 and 2 transistor amps but it is what it is. I am not aware of anyone else though with the mix of features and low harmonics at 5th and 3rd order. These things are clean and efficient and they are using all name brand components. They are not for everybody. These are more like what you would expect to see in amateur community and not what you would expect to see in the CB world especially the single transistor tuned input model!

I want to add that a lot of custom builders have had to stop doing repairs because they can not keep up with production demands due to all the repairs. I have never seen so many bipolar mobile and base amplifier's failing left right and center in my life! Instead of units lasting a year or more between failures a lot of these units seem to be failing with in months. A lot of them are making a circuit interns of being sent to different shops each time for repairs because they can not make them hold up and they are trying to find someone that can fix them "right". I think the archaic designs combined with low quality parts and unrealistic power outputs has created a "perfect storm"!!

If you can operate them as intended and are not chasing watt's and over driving them I think you would like Telstars amps. If you can not operate that way you are prob. better off with something from your typical CB amp builder.

I was going to try BBi or Tech-Nine and I was going to order an amp that had 2X-3x more rms output than I intended to ever use in (AB) bias and with SSB delay. I was going to get Toshiba, MACOM or Motorola transistors. I was planing to get a 4 transistor amp then under drive it with my old school President Lincoln or a modern RCI 2950DX.

In the past I used a 2xMRF455 amp and had it set to swing to about 65 watts on AM and PEP 100 on SSB and I talked all over the world with that DX'ing and easily talked in the 30-80 mile range on AM to other mobiles and base stations daily. For 8 years I talked on it that way and never had a single part fail in the amp. I had a crystal filter and power regulator fail in the RCI2950 I used with it. I could have gotten that output from a single MRF455 especially back when I built it since you could get inanely high beta transistors back then from Motorola. Occasionally I would turn the unit up but not very often.I had assembled that amp from a kit and had modified it as I learned more and more. One of thing I did early one was pressurize the cabinet like you do on a tube amp. I also regulated the fan so it was not dropping off with load. I had temp. control initially to turn it on and off but went to continuous instead. I had a filter on the air intake that kept the fan blades and the inside of the amp nice and clean. When I started to repair and build tube amps I did the same thing. I run them ridiculously under driven and keep them very cool! The same extends to the radio. Well I have never pressurized a radio cabinet or filtered it but you get the idea. I am a electronic hack at best. I can follow a schematic and mild troubleshooting but I do not understand it well like some guys on this site. Often I have to be reminded of the obvious and ask for help. Even when I know the answer I often am asking the wrong question!

99% of people order too little amp and then they drive it near it's limit 90% of the time with cheap poorly terminated coax. They fail to take into account that most amps are rated at PEP and are over rated or optimistically rated at that. They then dump a dirty signal from a radio poorly aligned or worse modified poorly. This creates a lot of heat in the amp and power reading that do little to nothing for you. They stuff them some place with little to no airflow. Not exactly a recipe for long life and clean signal. On Cb mobile or base they almost never use a balun or ugly choke depending on the situation. Even something as simple a ferrite beads are almost never used.

With smart ordering and attention to details you can easily get an amp even a poorly designed archaic one to last a long long time with clean output and lots of durability.

If you go the custom builder route you can have them put a 4 transistor amp on a heat sink and in a case designed for an 8-12 transistor amp. this gives room for future upgrades and it gives you more space for air flow and it gives you a lot more heat sink than you will need if you never upgrade. In a mobile amp you can never have too much heat sink!!!

Due to my aviation and military background I love durability and long service life. I would rather have too much durability and stability in my electronics if weight is not an issue than not enough. Since I do not carry my radio or amplifier on my back my car does I love lots of heat sink!

I hope I have not insulted you and I know I over simplified things but it pays to think far ahead and to have more amp than you need or plan to need with lots of headroom for future growth. The above is my opinion and other's will have vastly different take on this based on their experience.

Reactions: walterjn
Holy batman a life story to tell us what we know. And how do you know what BMT or Crusher are capable of doing and not.
I know what they can do. Build you an am just like your Telsatat one. VSWR not swr by the way, but yes they can build a TRUE class AB amp with thermal tracking. Read back to the beginning few posts. Don't just assume shit!! These guys could work for Telstar im sure, they are amp builders, not BS artists. Now this only relates to the 2 people's names I have mentioned. Yes there are some shoddy amp builders out there. But Crusher is all about clean and mean. And same wih BM Tech. Truly you seem as though you have some anger issues. Maybe a big fat joint would help. Or a couple of Xanax? But be easy bro. Saying things without first researching them makes you look more foolish then most. So I would take this time to contemplate what you say next, as these posts are just way off base. Don't knock someone you don't know. Hell they might be better than any technician at Telstar. But you'll never know without looking at some of their work and how highly they are respected by some damn good guys that do know their shit. So again, I say to you don't just assume things and place everyone that builds an amp that's isn't a commercial company just can't do it right. That is just way far from the actual truth of the matter. At any rate. Good day.

RMS power.... I do agree that PEP numbers sound better than average when you are selling watts but it isnt something to discard. Do you think the positive peaks on an oscilloscope are not important?

The truth is it is easier to manipulate your average or RMS meters. Take a super hack packed radio with a flat flat topping waveform and overdrive an amplifier (that might be mistuned) with it. There is no more headroom but the peak continues to get flatter and wider. The envelope has stopped growing but as the peaks get wider and flatter the average or RMS reading will go up while the PEP stays the same.

I'm not an amp builder but I think an amp built in metal enclosures give better rf shielding than plastic

You beat me to it. If he's too concerned about making a profit to use a real case I can't recommend him to anyone.

Well that depends on what you really want and how much reliable rms power you feel you need to have.

I would recommend you get an amp from Telstar Electronics. I am not not only the president but I am a client too! LOL I am just a customer. Seriously though I own some of their products including an amp and I love their products.

Keep in mind his has SWR protection, reverse polarity protection, thermal protection and true AB bias that is compensated constantly with temp. so it stays in class AB constantly. Check out the PDF for each amp. Also keep in mind his power rating are done at 14.2 volts not somethign crazy like 18-21 volts. He is not dead keying 40 watt's swinging to 120 to drive these.

I do not generally consider so called "custom" builders because they can not or will not give me true AB biasing, thermal and SWR protection. I also would not buy from anyone using fake or generic no name transistors that do not have published white paper's and OEM accountability. These unit cost too much and you often have too long of a wait time to mess around with no-name Chinese clone parts.

I am not going to lie I wish he had a 4 transistor amp instead of just 1 and 2 transistor amps but it is what it is. I am not aware of anyone else though with the mix of features and low harmonics at 5th and 3rd order. These things are clean and efficient and they are using all name brand components. They are not for everybody. These are more like what you would expect to see in amateur community and not what you would expect to see in the CB world especially the single transistor tuned input model!

I want to add that a lot of custom builders have had to stop doing repairs because they can not keep up with production demands due to all the repairs. I have never seen so many bipolar mobile and base amplifier's failing left right and center in my life! Instead of units lasting a year or more between failures a lot of these units seem to be failing with in months. A lot of them are making a circuit interns of being sent to different shops each time for repairs because they can not make them hold up and they are trying to find someone that can fix them "right". I think the archaic designs combined with low quality parts and unrealistic power outputs has created a "perfect storm"!!

If you can operate them as intended and are not chasing watt's and over driving them I think you would like Telstars amps. If you can not operate that way you are prob. better off with something from your typical CB amp builder.

I was going to try BBi or Tech-Nine and I was going to order an amp that had 2X-3x more rms output than I intended to ever use in (AB) bias and with SSB delay. I was going to get Toshiba, MACOM or Motorola transistors. I was planing to get a 4 transistor amp then under drive it with my old school President Lincoln or a modern RCI 2950DX.

In the past I used a 2xMRF455 amp and had it set to swing to about 65 watts on AM and PEP 100 on SSB and I talked all over the world with that DX'ing and easily talked in the 30-80 mile range on AM to other mobiles and base stations daily. For 8 years I talked on it that way and never had a single part fail in the amp. I had a crystal filter and power regulator fail in the RCI2950 I used with it. I could have gotten that output from a single MRF455 especially back when I built it since you could get inanely high beta transistors back then from Motorola. Occasionally I would turn the unit up but not very often.I had assembled that amp from a kit and had modified it as I learned more and more. One of thing I did early one was pressurize the cabinet like you do on a tube amp. I also regulated the fan so it was not dropping off with load. I had temp. control initially to turn it on and off but went to continuous instead. I had a filter on the air intake that kept the fan blades and the inside of the amp nice and clean. When I started to repair and build tube amps I did the same thing. I run them ridiculously under driven and keep them very cool! The same extends to the radio. Well I have never pressurized a radio cabinet or filtered it but you get the idea. I am a electronic hack at best. I can follow a schematic and mild troubleshooting but I do not understand it well like some guys on this site. Often I have to be reminded of the obvious and ask for help. Even when I know the answer I often am asking the wrong question!

99% of people order too little amp and then they drive it near it's limit 90% of the time with cheap poorly terminated coax. They fail to take into account that most amps are rated at PEP and are over rated or optimistically rated at that. They then dump a dirty signal from a radio poorly aligned or worse modified poorly. This creates a lot of heat in the amp and power reading that do little to nothing for you. They stuff them some place with little to no airflow. Not exactly a recipe for long life and clean signal. On Cb mobile or base they almost never use a balun or ugly choke depending on the situation. Even something as simple a ferrite beads are almost never used.

With smart ordering and attention to details you can easily get an amp even a poorly designed archaic one to last a long long time with clean output and lots of durability.

If you go the custom builder route you can have them put a 4 transistor amp on a heat sink and in a case designed for an 8-12 transistor amp. this gives room for future upgrades and it gives you more space for air flow and it gives you a lot more heat sink than you will need if you never upgrade. In a mobile amp you can never have too much heat sink!!!

Due to my aviation and military background I love durability and long service life. I would rather have too much durability and stability in my electronics if weight is not an issue than not enough. Since I do not carry my radio or amplifier on my back my car does I love lots of heat sink!

I hope I have not insulted you and I know I over simplified things but it pays to think far ahead and to have more amp than you need or plan to need with lots of headroom for future growth. The above is my opinion and other's will have vastly different take on this based on their experience.
BBI on going on 3 1/2 years, NO problems ever, and it was true thermal tracking,and is AB all so has swr protection. The amp is a straight 10, I never drive it with more then 250w in. The amp was built to my specs. All BBI amps are put on as you would like them, you just have to tell him what you need.
My texas star Dx 500 now......rebuilt two times at no cost by Galaxy warranty, and have Toshiba's. I can not report on my new Ameritron yet (ALS-1306). I think The big point is don't over drive it, and always run at no more then 70% out put, keep it clean, cool, don't "volt it", and use your brain and no splatter box's.

Who's AB bias circuit did he copy and pretend to make better?
I could care less who He copied, who ever it was they must have done it right as it works 3+ years latter. Or may be he copied from the guy who copied it from the guy that copied it from .......... If it works it works. I wonder who at Ameritron copied the amp that is knowen by them as the ALS 1306....for it too works real good too.

I could care less who He copied, who ever it was they must have done it right as it works 3+ years latter. Or may be he copied from the guy who copied it from the guy that copied it from .......... If it works it works. I wonder who at Ameritron copied the amp that is knowen by them as the ALS 1306....for it too works real good too.

Lots of junk CB equipment has been working for many years. This is true for ham equipment too. If it looks good and makes watts most people will call it good equipment.

It is a copy of a good design but when you start upgrading components to make it look bad ass without a good understanding of the circuit the copy is just a knock off. It does have cool lights and skulls...that has to be worth something right.

There really isn't anything new being done in this hobby. We are all copying someone but don't pretend like you've reinvented the wheel.

Lots of junk CB equipment has been working for many years. This is true for ham equipment too. If it looks good and makes watts most people will call it good equipment.

It is a copy of a good design but when you start upgrading components to make it look bad ass without a good understanding of the circuit the copy is just a knock off. It does have cool lights and skulls...that has to be worth something right.

There really isn't anything new being done in this hobby. We are all copying someone but don't pretend like you've reinvented the wheel.
There are a great number of folks that don't like Luke's attitude, yes sometimes we all are not liked by someone for an attitude that is perceived by others as pompous, and a dozen other descriptors I have heard over the years but facts are facts, and if lights, and skulls sell then that is Luke's good fortune. I would say if you have a problem with Luke that you should call him and bring it up with him, or better yet I can walk you to his front door if you can't find it, that is Luke's home address on all the videos, and web site....... Luke is not hiding from anyone. My long past father told me "If you can't deal with a person to there face, then you need to stop what your doing for you are a coward who does not stand on your own two legs but stand on someone else's words". And at this point I must back down.This place is for fun, and education. This is not the B.S., and talk "S" about other folks behind there back site....I hope. Now I'm going to go look at my BBI fixed X-force box that x force could not fix as it came F'ed up from x force, two times sent back, two times junk....It works now, thank you to BBI.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.