• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amp recommendations/ box builders

So you are calling us cowards for not liking BBi's web of lies? Now that's funny...
call your self that. I called no one any thing of the such. All I have to say is if you don't like what some ones has to say go to them and say it to there face, don't hide behind your key board. If you got a problem with that I will make myself available to you by my address.

There are a great number of folks that don't like Luke's attitude, yes sometimes we all are not liked by someone for an attitude that is perceived by others as pompous, and a dozen other descriptors I have heard over the years but facts are facts, and if lights, and skulls sell then that is Luke's good fortune. I would say if you have a problem with Luke that you should call him and bring it up with him, or better yet I can walk you to his front door if you can't find it, that is Luke's home address on all the videos, and web site....... Luke is not hiding from anyone. My long past father told me "If you can't deal with a person to there face, then you need to stop what your doing for you are a coward who does not stand on your own two legs but stand on someone else's words". And at this point I must back down.This place is for fun, and education. This is not the B.S., and talk "S" about other folks behind there back site....I hope. Now I'm going to go look at my BBI fixed X-force box that x force could not fix as it came F'ed up from x force, two times sent back, two times junk....It works now, thank you to BBI.

There is nothing to "deal with" between myself and Mr BBi. Why would I go to his house or call him to tell him I'm not impressed with his amplifiers. I'm not going to be sending him any work so I will not waste his time or harass him. Tell me what that would accomplish. I've never met Luke so I can't say that I have a problem with him on a personal level. I have many friends that are full of shit so I might even like the guy. I will say he takes pride in the appearance of his work. If you look at the inside of the later BBi amps he does very clean work. The RF theory he makes up and puts on You Tube makes it hard to take him seriously. The only people he impresses are those who don't know any better.

I remember him putting large braid through a ferrite core to ground the bases of transistors because it looked more manly than the Teflon wire that everyone else used. It did look robust but makes a crummy choke. The little micro fans on each transistor of some poor guy's amplifier, the little mirror boards that keep the input and output transformers from "talking." I am a fan of these amp builders. I was trying to find the pics I've saved over the years. Not just of BBi amps but all the guys that got started when those free amp plans got passed around the forums. I will share if I find that flash drive.

He put himself and his work on the internet for everyone to see. When you do that you better expect some criticism. Some of it is just people being rude but a humble person can take a lot of it constructively and make real improvements. I thought you might be Luke after you advertised the LDMOS amplifiers he is now building....after they have been out for years and other people perfected the design. If you really aren't Luke and have to send your equipment out for repair I'm glad you found a tech you are satisfied with. When you look at all the guys building amplifiers with obsolete transistors that will soon be unobtanium, he certainly isn't the worst.

And no...I will not meet you at the flagpole at 3:00.

Great info. Thanks for all of the replies. Does anybody have contact info for BM Tech.. I have read some good things about them on some other sites but can't find contact info. I will also check out the others listed here. I appreciate the good advive here.

There is nothing to "deal with" between myself and Mr BBi. Why would I go to his house or call him to tell him I'm not impressed with his amplifiers. I'm not going to be sending him any work so I will not waste his time or harass him. Tell me what that would accomplish. I've never met Luke so I can't say that I have a problem with him on a personal level. I have many friends that are full of shit so I might even like the guy. I will say he takes pride in the appearance of his work. If you look at the inside of the later BBi amps he does very clean work. The RF theory he makes up and puts on You Tube makes it hard to take him seriously. The only people he impresses are those who don't know any better.

I remember him putting large braid through a ferrite core to ground the bases of transistors because it looked more manly than the Teflon wire that everyone else used. It did look robust but makes a crummy choke. The little micro fans on each transistor of some poor guy's amplifier, the little mirror boards that keep the input and output transformers from "talking." I am a fan of these amp builders. I was trying to find the pics I've saved over the years. Not just of BBi amps but all the guys that got started when those free amp plans got passed around the forums. I will share if I find that flash drive.

He put himself and his work on the internet for everyone to see. When you do that you better expect some criticism. Some of it is just people being rude but a humble person can take a lot of it constructively and make real improvements. I thought you might be Luke after you advertised the LDMOS amplifiers he is now building....after they have been out for years and other people perfected the design. If you really aren't Luke and have to send your equipment out for repair I'm glad you found a tech you are satisfied with. When you look at all the guys building amplifiers with obsolete transistors that will soon be unobtanium, he certainly isn't the worst.

And no...I will not meet you at the flagpole at 3:00.
stepping back...And I do think your right.....The tech. is from days gone by. I don't understand why more folks don't use the LDMOS amps, yes they have been around forever.....My point is there still here, and the Toshiba's have died, now we have DEI junk, and PP, that in my pocking around seams to be "DEI" as well.....We may never know.

Reactions: LeapFrog
The LDMOS is harder to work with. The average CB amp builder is used to a bipolar transistor that can be used without a bias circuit, is very forgiving to being over driven and will work pretty good in a poorly designed amplifier. Most of the Facebook builders would go broke trying to design a LDMOS amp and only have a bucket of bad transistors to show for for it. I only know of one guy not using a premade board.

There aren't any ham amps that I'm aware of using the LDMOS that is worth copying for CB. Guys want a multiple kw amp they can drive with a 4 watt radio. It is possible with these devices but with the 15db gain restriction you won't find a commercial ham amplifier to fit the bill.

I am going to be purchasing and amp soo. Will be for mobile use.
I had my mind set on a Texas Star DX500 but after reading the last few months I might want something else.
I want an amp that is well biilt. I talk ssb and am. What would yall recommend for me. Production amp or small time builder? I have read alot lately that the texas stars are over rated and just wanted to check before I spend money. Thanks for your help.

Im in the same boat, what did you finally decide on ?

review please

Reactions: groundwire
543, like you said. The average " Builder " doesn't understand biasing let alone thermal tracking. You need to track it. Otherwise as it heats up, device will start pulling some amps even while in standby. It's really not a hard design. But most are used to the Toshiba that so many have taken granted over the years.

There are a great number of folks that don't like Luke's attitude, yes sometimes we all are not liked by someone for an attitude that is perceived by others as pompous, and a dozen other descriptors I have heard over the years but facts are facts, and if lights, and skulls sell then that is Luke's good fortune. I would say if you have a problem with Luke that you should call him and bring it up with him, or better yet I can walk you to his front door if you can't find it, that is Luke's home address on all the videos, and web site....... Luke is not hiding from anyone. My long past father told me "If you can't deal with a person to there face, then you need to stop what your doing for you are a coward who does not stand on your own two legs but stand on someone else's words". And at this point I must back down.This place is for fun, and education. This is not the B.S., and talk "S" about other folks behind there back site....I hope. Now I'm going to go look at my BBI fixed X-force box that x force could not fix as it came F'ed up from x force, two times sent back, two times junk....It works now, thank you to BBI.
Finally someone who knows BBI's work...seem's to be alot of negitive bs out there....there isn't not one of you amp builders out there that didn't have someone teach you your trade....if you say different your a damned lie....samy same for radio tech's none of us were born knowing shit...it had to be taught... jm2c

Finally someone who knows BBI's work...seem's to be alot of negitive bs out there....there isn't not one of you amp builders out there that didn't have someone teach you your trade....if you say different your a damned lie....samy same for radio tech's none of us were born knowing shit...it had to be taught... jm2c

If I didn't understand how an amplifier works his big words and made up theories would sound more impressive. You don't understand what he's talking about and are being baffled by his bullshit.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.