• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amplifier HELP!

Buzzard78945

Feb 8, 2020
upload_2020-2-21_22-26-56.png
upload_2020-2-21_22-27-28.png

upload_2020-2-21_22-28-0.png

upload_2020-2-21_22-28-32.png

These 4 amps for sale very cheap in my area... let me know any information and prices y’all have... thanks a million!

Attachments

• upload_2020-2-21_22-26-26.png
    upload_2020-2-21_22-26-26.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • upload_2020-2-21_22-26-39.png
    upload_2020-2-21_22-26-39.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Reactions: 357magnum

Don't pay more than scrap-metal value unless you can hook each one up to a radio, a power supply and a wattmeter you trust.

If you can't try it out, Murphy's Law says it's already blown out and needs expensive RF power transistors, and maybe other repairs besides.

The odds are not in your favor. This kind of amplifier is built with no internal protection whatever from excessive drive power or from high SWR.

Could be that they all work just fine.

Could be.

My experience suggests that the odds are against you.

Don't pay more than scrap-metal value unless you can hook each one up to a radio, a power supply and a wattmeter you trust.

If you can't try it out, Murphy's Law says it's already blown out and needs expensive RF power transistors, and maybe other repairs besides.

The odds are not in your favor. This kind of amplifier is built with no internal protection whatever from excessive drive power or from high SWR.

Could be that they all work just fine.

Could be.

My experience suggests that the odds are against you.

I understand that completely I have several radios what have different outputs ( low keys, and others with 4 watt key with some swing, 20watt swing) I have a dummy load mfj and a dosy watt meter... yes I know it ain’t a bird meter but best I have. I’m planning on keying up each amp the seller is allowing and supervising if they put out some decent juice I may pick them up... I’m running them in my truck @ about 14.3v that’s what my truck averages... running power for amps tomorrow morning any idea on amperage to fuse protect circuits at? Ga wire size? Min 10awg? Any information on what these amps require input?

Buzz , First welcome to the forum ! Do like Nomad said ! :) IMO they all look like they been keyed a few times ! Check , Check & re-check ! jmo , 73 & God Bless , Leo

Buzz , First welcome to the forum ! Do like Nomad said ! :) IMO they all look like they been keyed a few times ! Check , Check & re-check ! jmo , 73 & God Bless , Leo

Will do thanks I was also thinking of hooking up an inductive amp meter to the input of the amps and seeing how many amps they draw!

Texas Star is the one I'd keep, other ones I'd resell. I personally wouldn't have a need for any of them.

Here's some random numbers - if they were in working condition, what I might pay if I really wanted them and what I might sell on eBay. You'd need to clean them up though, they look like junk right now and they may function like junk too.

Fatboy if it's a 4 pill $175 if it's a 8 pill $225 - eBay price would be $275/$375

Midnight Special $150 - eBay price $250

Texas Star $175 - eBay price $275

Palomar - I wouldn't bother.

Ideally based on their condition I'd low-ball and pick up all 4 for $350 :) but only if they were in good working condition.

Last thing you want is a wacky amp. That;s why the Texas Star would be the only one I'd really be interested in.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
ya he is asking for $350 for the fat boy and I really don’t have a good way to test it (1000watt amp)

I would guarantee it’s not an 8 at that price, most likely a 1x4. I’m not into class c, or internal drivers, but if it has working Toshibas in it it’s probably worth more than that to a lot of folks.

Pretty substantial current requirements to test an amp like that. 90+ amps if used in typical class C fashion.

I tend to agree with others suggestion you check out the Texas Star. Might get lucky and find it works and has Toshibas in it - a huge bonus.

I would guarantee it’s not an 8 at that price, most likely a 1x4. I’m not into class c, or internal drivers, but if it has working Toshibas in it it’s probably worth more than that to a lot of folks.

Pretty substantial current requirements to test an amp like that. 90+ amps if used in typical class C fashion.

I tend to agree with others suggestion you check out the Texas Star. Might get lucky and find it works and has Toshibas in it - a huge bonus.

I have 50 amp maxi fuse with 6ga cables rigged up to check the 700 watt 350watt should be enough for those but like I said i don’t think I can test the 1000watt fat boy

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated