• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Analysis on the Sirio Performer 5000 antenna

fourstringburn

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member K5KNM
Feb 11, 2007
NEW MEXICO
After reading rave reviews on this antenna, I thought I would try it for myself and do some field testing and post the results. The antenna whip is new and uncut to show this antenna's range out of the box.

I purchased the trucker series of the Sirio Performer 5000 antennas. This one uses what appears to be the same resonator coil used on the NMO type mounts or mag mount coils and the same long whip. The difference is this antenna comes with an 8 inch 3/8 threaded mast to mount to a typical CB mirror mount stud.

First glance is that this antenna seems to be well constructed and has a rubber cap on top where the whip extends from the coil which should help keep water from entering inside the coil housing. This rubber cap slides up the whip which can be used as a handy guideline if you need to trim the whip length to fine tune the antenna.

The whip is a bit too tall to get a near perfect match on CB frequencies with the 8 inch mast, this probably explains why users of the magnet mount version find the antenna good to go straight out of the box. The whip is tapered and gets real thin toward the end of it's length so this is where you can easily trim from since it is stainless steel and harder to cut at the thickest point down below. There is no corona ball on the tip.

Below you will see pics from my-testing done with a RIG Expert AA54 Antenna analyzer. This is the best way to see truly where your antenna is at and what it can do. Using just a SWR meter doesn't tell the whole story since finding the resonant point is more of a shot in the dark that way.

Note that these readings are done in the field on a Semi truck with a good mirror mount bracket and good D.C.grounding and bonding scheme. Your results could vary.

Here is the first reading from the analyzer with the antenna whip lengthened all the way out. I used the analyzer's SWR scan graph to find the resonant point. As you can see, at 26.320 MHz the ohms (Z) and the resistance (R) are nearly equal giving a very low reactance value (X) resulting in a ideal low SWR at 1.03

This is what you want to see and this represents the resonant point of antenna. This can be achieved if the antenna is designed well along with your antenna mounting and proper D.C.grounding. I believe mine is just fine!

IMG_20150316_140956[1].jpg

As you change frequencies on your radio either direction, you are no longer at that resonant point regardless of what your SWR meter says, but you are still within the usable range of your antennas bandwidth.

Here is a pic showing the actual bandwidth of the antenna and you can see the resonant frequency point within the graph. This is the frequency I pulled up to get the specifics regarding that frequency in the above pic.

IMG_20150316_141035[1].jpg

As you can see, with the antenna analyzer set to scan a SWR graph at 2000 KHz bandwidth, that's +/- 1000 KHz shown, you can now see the usable safe operating range of this antenna. The top numbers of the graph didn't come out too well but you can see the frequency which is 26.320 MHz and it is the frequency where the arrow on the bottom of the graph shows the lowest point of the graph scan. I probably should have shifted the cursor arrow a little more and could have got slightly better results but the general idea here is still presented.

You can see this antenna tuned at this point can run a radio safely under a 2.0 SWR at just under 1000 KHz from the resonant point of 26.320 KHz. So at this maximum whip length setting, the antenna will work a radio safely form 25.420 to 27.220 MHz and should keep this antenna below a 1.9:1 SWR.

Here is a pic of the antenna analyzer with the antenna whip fully retracted. You can see compared to the first reading that there isn't much range in the whip length to adjust but just enough for fine tuning and then some. About 250KHz for around 2 inches of adjustment in the coil.

IMG_20150316_140510[1].jpg

As you can see now this reading is about as perfect as you can hope for. The Z and R value are equal and the X value is below 0 and the SWR is still ideal near flat.

It has been posted that this antenna could be used on 12 meters and I replied then that I doubt it, you can see that it would be out of range for 12 meters without lengthening the antenna another foot or so. Using a tuner would work and still have an reasonably good ERP(effective radiating power), but a tuner is still used only to make the radio happy because it doesn't really tune an antenna, it just matches the radio to a mismatched antenna.

Below is a pic showing the lowest frequency scanned where the stock whip will tune to showing a SWR at 2.1 and it is short of of the 12 meter band. Notice the Z isn't near 50 ohms and the R is even lower and a X value over 20. Hardly ideal and the lower a radio is tuned on this antenna, the worse it will get.

IMG_20150316_141206[1].jpg

I would say that this is a well designed antenna and should perform exceptionally good if tuned properly. It has the bandwidth comparable to a 1/4 wave whip but without being as tall. However, this antenna's overall height ( just over 6.10 ft before tuning) is taller than most mobile antennas out there and could pose a problem on some semi trucks whacking bridges and trees. At least the whip is thin and light weight and very flexible so for NMO or mag mounts, it should be just fine.

As advertised, this antenna is spec'd for 11 thru 10 meters. It can easily cover those bands well.
The advertised bandwidth is about 500 KHz or so more than what I tested for, but their tests were maybe more accurate and were probably done in the best antenna setup or lab to get those results.

With the bandwidth I got from my tests, I would say for 10 meter and CB use, the antenna could be tuned for a resonant point 27.800 Mhz and the bandwidth frequencies should cover both effectively at a safe zone of +/- 800 MHz below a 1.9 SWR .

For the CB users who operate on the freeband frequencies too, tune the antenna to the resonant point at 27.000 MHz and that will give a similar safe zone range. You should always consider tuning your antenna to the resonant point where you operate most, then the bandwidth of good antenna should cover the rest of the band.

Again, the true way to find that resonant point is to use a antenna analyzer. They are great investments if you do a lot of antenna work. If you don't know of someone who has one, some good CB shops should have one to check your antenna for you.

In conclusion, I would and do recommend this antenna. The bandwidth is better than the Hustler RM series and shouldn't have the water ingress problems that can occur with the vinyl shrink wrapping around the coil on Hustler antennas.

It is light weight and has a small profile compared to those large aluminum coil mobile antennas which look cool but don't necessarily work any better. It does have a height issue but a lot of that is what makes it a good antenna by using less inductance from coil loading to emulate a 1/4 wave whip.

I will be experimenting more with this antenna by using longer masts form 22 inches up to 36 inches to bring the antenna up more in line of a center load and that might decrease the overall length some after re-tuning.

I hope this post give some insight to this and other antennas on what to look for and how too properly test them rather than on air tests which are usually subjective.

Last edited:

After reading rave reviews on this antenna, I thought I would try it for myself and do some field testing and post the results. The antenna whip is new and uncut to show this antenna's range out of the box.

I purchased the trucker series of the Sirio Performer 5000 antennas. This one uses what appears to be the same resonator coil used on the NMO type mounts or mag mount coils and the same long whip. The difference is this antenna comes with an 8 inch 3/8 threaded mast to mount to a typical CB mirror mount stud.

First glance is that this antenna seems to be well constructed and has a rubber cap on top where the whip extends from the coil which should help keep water from entering inside the coil housing. This rubber cap slides up the whip which can be used as a handy guideline if you need to trim the whip length to fine tune the antenna.

The whip is a bit too tall to get a near perfect match on CB frequencies with the 8 inch mast, this probably explains why users of the magnet mount version find the antenna good to go straight out of the box. The whip is tapered and gets real thin toward the end of it's length so this is where you can easily trim from since it is stainless steel and harder to cut at the thickest point down below. There is no corona ball on the tip.

Below you will see pics from my-testing done with a RIG Expert AA54 Antenna analyzer. This is the best way to see truly where your antenna is at and what it can do. Using just a SWR meter doesn't tell the whole story since finding the resonant point is more of a shot in the dark that way.

Note that these readings are done in the field on a Semi truck with a good mirror mount bracket and good D.C.grounding and bonding scheme. Your results could vary.

Here is the first reading from the analyzer with the antenna whip lengthened all the way out. I used the analyzer's SWR scan graph to find the resonant point. As you can see, at 26.320 MHz the ohms (Z) and the resistance (R) are nearly equal giving a very low reactance value (X) resulting in a ideal low SWR at 1.03

This is what you want to see and this represents the resonant point of antenna. This can be achieved if the antenna is designed well along with your antenna mounting and proper D.C.grounding. I believe mine is just fine!

View attachment 15413

As you change frequencies on your radio either direction, you are no longer at that resonant point regardless of what your SWR meter says, but you are still within the usable range of your antennas bandwidth.

Here is a pic showing the actual bandwidth of the antenna and you can see the resonant frequency point within the graph. This is the frequency I pulled up to get the specifics regarding that frequency in the above pic.

View attachment 15412

As you can see, with the antenna analyzer set to scan a SWR graph at 2000 KHz bandwidth, that's +/- 1000 KHz shown, you can now see the usable safe operating range of this antenna. The top numbers of the graph didn't come out too well but you can see the frequency which is 26.320 MHz and it is the frequency where the arrow on the bottom of the graph shows the lowest point of the graph scan. I probably should have shifted the cursor arrow a little more and could have got slightly better results but the general idea here is still presented.

You can see this antenna tuned at this point can run a radio safely under a 2.0 SWR at just under 1000 KHz from the resonant point of 26.320 KHz. So at this maximum whip length setting, the antenna will work a radio safely form 25.420 to 27.220 MHz and should keep this antenna below a 1.9:1 SWR.

Here is a pic of the antenna analyzer with the antenna whip fully retracted. You can see compared to the first reading that there isn't much range in the whip length to adjust but just enough for fine tuning and then some. About 250KHz for around 2 inches of adjustment in the coil.

View attachment 15414

As you can see now this reading is about as perfect as you can hope for. The Z and R value are equal and the X value is below 0 and the SWR is still ideal near flat.

It has been posted that this antenna could be used on 12 meters and I replied then that I doubt it, you can see that it would be out of range for 12 meters without lengthening the antenna another foot or so. Using a tuner would work and still have an reasonably good ERP(effective radiating power), but a tuner is still used only to make the radio happy because it doesn't really tune an antenna, it just matches the radio to a mismatched antenna.

Below is a pic showing the lowest frequency scanned where the stock whip will tune to showing a SWR at 2.1 and it is short of of the 12 meter band. Notice the Z isn't near 50 ohms and the R is even lower and a X value over 20. Hardly ideal and the lower a radio is tuned on this antenna, the worse it will get.

View attachment 15415

I would say that this is a well designed antenna and should perform exceptionally good if tuned properly. It has the bandwidth comparable to a 1/4 wave whip but without being as tall. However, this antenna's overall height ( just over 6.10 ft before tuning) is taller than most mobile antennas out there and could pose a problem on some semi trucks whacking bridges and trees. At least the whip is thin and light weight and very flexible so for NMO or mag mounts, it should be just fine.

As advertised, this antenna is spec'd for 11 thru 10 meters. It can easily cover those bands well.
The advertised bandwidth is about 500 KHz or so more than what I tested for, but their tests were maybe more accurate and were probably done in the best antenna setup or lab to get those results.

With the bandwidth I got from my tests, I would say for 10 meter and CB use, the antenna could be tuned for a resonant point 27.800 Mhz and the bandwidth frequencies should cover both effectively at a safe zone of +/- 800 MHz below a 1.9 SWR .

For the CB users who operate on the freeband frequencies too, tune the antenna to the resonant point at 27.000 MHz and that will give a similar safe zone range. You should always consider tuning your antenna to the resonant point where you operate most, then the bandwidth of good antenna should cover the rest of the band.

Again, the true way to find that resonant point is to use a antenna analyzer. They are great investments if you do a lot of antenna work. If you don't know of someone who has one, some good CB shops should have one to check your antenna for you.

In conclusion, I would and do recommend this antenna. The bandwidth is better than the Hustler RM series and shouldn't have the water ingress problems that can occur with the vinyl shrink wrapping around the coil on Hustler antennas.

It is light weight and has a small profile compared to those large aluminum coil mobile antennas which look cool but don't necessarily work any better. It does have a height issue but a lot of that is what makes it a good antenna by using less inductance from coil loading to emulate a 1/4 wave whip.

I will be experimenting more with this antenna by using longer masts form 22 inches up to 36 inches to bring the antenna up more in line of a center load and that might decrease the overall length some after re-tuning.

I hope this post give some insight to this and other antennas on what to look for and how too properly test them rather than on air tests which are usually subjective.

thanks. i tune my antennas just like that. my resonant point is 275000. with the shaft i wonder if the whip tunes shorter than say the baseloaded version?id think it would ,but thats jmho

Reactions: tecnicoloco
Theoretically it should.

If you increase the length of the mast under the coil, then the whip will need to be shortened to get back to the previous resonant point. The overall length should stay about the same but I found that sometimes mobile setups isn't always exact science.

I finally got around to getting a pic of the Sirio antenna installed on my truck. You can see I replaced the stock 8 inch shaft with a 36 inch one. It is still basically a 7 ft. antenna so height can be an issue for some. You can see I mounted it on the trucks lower mirror post to keep the antenna height below 14 ft. It is approximately 13.10 ft. high to the tip.

full.jpg

image.jpg Looks good. Bet it sits pretty straight during highway speed. Other than a bit of tip bending. Nice work! Here's what mine looks like. On top of a Nisan NV high back work van.

that antenna looks awesome on that truck. that's a nice analyzer you have also. much nicer than my MFJ 259 B
I finally got around to getting a pic of the Sirio antenna installed on my truck. You can see I replaced the stock 8 inch shaft with a 36 inch one. It is still basically a 7 ft. antenna so height can be an issue for some. You can see I mounted it on the trucks lower mirror post to keep the antenna height below 14 ft. It is approximately 13.10 ft. high to the tip.

full.jpg

I've just re-read your review. If what you say is right about the overall length then its the same length as the normal Sirio Performer 5000 and they've just moved the coil up just a bit.

Reactions: Slowmover
I've just re-read your review. If what you say is right about the overall length then its the same length as the normal Sirio Performer 5000 and they've just moved the coil up just a bit.

They are close, your is 1965 mm and the trucker series is just over 2.08 meters. I'm sure the coils are the same.

Reactions: Slowmover
They are close, your is 1965 mm and the trucker series is just over 2.08 meters. I'm sure the coils are the same.

Ah yes you're correct. I was basing it on the Sirio whip I have on my Tarheel which is 1.95m but is from a Sirio Hypower 4000 as the Performer 5000 one was a bit too thick for my liking for use with the Tarheel antenna knowing how I like to drive under low height barriers with it still fitted.

full.jpg
Fourstringburn Just a quick question about your setup.
Were did you get the 36" mast extension for the Sirio I am setting up a good system for a buddy's semi almost like yours and I'm liking your setup, How well does it perform for you?

Thanks for the compliment, I got the 36 in stainless steel mast from a former CB shop here in my home town. They were special ordered for a customer that never picked them up so I bought them. Since the shop is no longer around, I don't know where they were ordered from.

Dx engineering has lightweight heavy duty 6061 aluminum mast with 3/8 x 24 threads and both 24 in and 36 in lengths.

http://www.dxengineering.com/search...autoview=SKU&sortby=Default&sortorder=Default

These masts are female threads so you may want to pickup 2 of these.

http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-5mtcf-1

I changed to a 24 inch mast since the 36 inch mast would wobble some going down the road and the 24 inch seems to be more stable. I also changed the stock whip to a thicker one made by Wilson antennas which can be purchased on ebay and other places. This is a 66 inch stainless steel whip that will fit in the Sirio resonator coil but may need some trimming down to tune. The Sirio whip is real thin and flimsy.

My antenna works well for me and as I have stated on this thread, the antenna matches up ideally for the CB band and has good band width to cover other frequencies. The coil resonator is well designed, but as you can see I wasn't satisfied with the mast or whip so that's why I did some changing out.

Depended what truck your buddy is driving, the overall height of this antenna could cause a problem with the stock mast as well as a 24 in. or 36. mast since the overall height doesn't vary as much as I hoped.

If the antenna is mounted on the lower mirror post like shown on my install pic, you should be good.

Last edited:
Reactions: barefootindian
Nice thread, fourstringburn!

As I’ve run a fair number of searches thru this site, and a larger number across the Net, so it’s been a pleasant surprise to come across this years after I started.

Walcott Radio sells 22”, 36” & 44” SS threaded shafts in 3/8-24.

Is that a “bird perch” mount on the Volvo?

Ran into a lease operator with our company a few days back at Hattiesburg, MS running a Predator off a Freightliner in much the same fashion. General HP49 & KL203p.

Another is running a 108” on a shaft with just enough tilt to clear 13-5 at speed, but a PRO COMM adjustable mount on his Cascadia.

Reactions: fourstringburn
Bump for interest: Co phased Coax for big rig setup thread (post #18)

OP, was this set-up okay for SSB (and maybe talking Skip)?
Was thinking I’d seen a comment elsewhere to that effect (thanks).

What radio/amp wattage ballpark?

Thx

Last edited:
Reactions: fourstringburn

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.