• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

And so it begins - Cobra’s “New” Generation Surface Mount Technology

CbRadiosPRONTO

Mar 21, 2014
USA
www.cradiospronto.com
Remember when you didn’t have to think much because you’d been inside a Cobra 29 13.7 thousand times? Hashtag “GoodTimes”

Well, it’s still the same basic setup and, strangely, still no mosfet. Here’s a peak at the Cobra 29LX.

Semantics?
Mosfet conversion?
Swing kits?

It’ll be fun watching people hurry to get to the bottom of some of these topics.

Attachments

• F08D2C9C-0E59-40B0-BBB3-B3E295138447.jpeg
    F08D2C9C-0E59-40B0-BBB3-B3E295138447.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 89
  • FEE65F73-0B74-458A-B9F3-7362C923542F.jpeg
    FEE65F73-0B74-458A-B9F3-7362C923542F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 83
  • 35C2411B-E161-4EAF-A22D-ECBA82D34656.jpeg
    35C2411B-E161-4EAF-A22D-ECBA82D34656.jpeg
    699 KB · Views: 83
  • FD1320D8-AA02-421B-8F64-E5511DD72711.jpeg
    FD1320D8-AA02-421B-8F64-E5511DD72711.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 85
Reactions: Eldorado828 and L2

It's inevitable my compadres, I think we've all been holding our breath and now here it is on the Cobra models. It's just a matter of time before they're all doing it. Makes complete sense from their standpoint of making money....

At least we're still getting vr's and tuning cans that are through hole and adjustable. President has even done away with those on some of their models

It's inevitable my compadres, I think we've all been holding our breath and now here it is on the Cobra models. It's just a matter of time before they're all doing it. Makes complete sense from their standpoint of making money....

At least we're still getting vr's and tuning cans that are through hole and adjustable. President has even done away with those on some of their models
Im not electronics guy but to me this looks like just a SMDed version of the traditional 29 radio. It even seems to still have a traditional style DIP PLL chip. Maybe they moved the LX faceplate logic to the main board?

Cobra does have an application in for a new radio. 19 MINI
https://fccid.io/BBO19MINI
No public photo's until 2022.
1.PNG

Here is all their applications.
https://fccid.io/BBO
I have been watching for something with FM, probably can't submit those until the FCC officially changes the rules. But in that link you can see the photo's of the new C25. Notice it still has a real channel switch?

2.PNG

And the new C29 with its lame channel encoder
3.PNG

So its now or never if you want a new through hole Cobra. SMD is definitely coming. RANGER seems to be the last man standing for old school design.

Last edited:
Change is inevitable. Like Thanos. I can remember not wanting a car with an ECM, and removing the insides of the catalytic converters. I can remember not wanting CDs, not wanting DVDs. I can remember saying I would never get a PC with Windows 95 installed. I can remember saying I would never date a married woman, she never told me she had a husband. I can remember saying I do not ever want an export radio.

... plus you need the right tools and LOTS AND LOTS OF PRACTICE.

. . . And a powerful, expensive microscope/camera and a computer with a relatively large screen.
. . . And, Lord willing, continued good eyesight - too.

If ever there was a case saying that obsolescence was being built in and taking place, it is certainly true now!

I want to add-on to what Robb is saying.

A couple of years ago I bought an SMD soldering station and it just sat on my bench and gathered dust.

As almost everything electronic is SMD style now, I finally decided to get with the program and figure out how to work with it. I ruined a lot of circuit boards ( they were junk anyway ) before finally signing up for an SMD soldering class. Just learning how to properly adjust the temperature and air pressure on my soldering station for each type of component was worth the price of admission. The school is run one weekend a month by a group of electronic techs who work for a large electronics manufacturer here. There were 10 students in the class, and each student had a tech assigned to him so that each of us could learn at our own pace.

After the 2nd day, Andres, my tech, actually had me removing and replacing single components and multi-pin ICs with ease.

I found out later that the company the instructors work for sponsored the school, and paid the techs time and a half for running it. After the class, the company offered several of us jobs in their factory. I know for sure that three guys hired on, maybe more. I passed. I didn't retire just to go back to work again.

So ... the techs got paid their OT salary plus our tuition payments. The company got new workers with good SMD soldering skills, and guys like me learned something new.

A win-win for everyone.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated