• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another Euro radio

mechanic

Mar 4, 2009
North coast of the USA.... Da UP!

Attachments

• alan8001_front3_mittel_details.jpg
    alan8001_front3_mittel_details.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 26
  • alan8001_plat_mittel.jpg
    alan8001_plat_mittel.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 101
  • alan8001_kanal.jpg
    alan8001_kanal.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 25

8001S

I found that radio online and did a bit of investigating. I also found a radio supplier in Singapore that stocks it.

Nice looking radio.. Especially with the channel display and freq readout, would make a good export radio if its PEP could be turned up to about 25 watts.

However after looking at some European radio forums, I would advise buyer beware. Talk of the newer versions being unstable etc etc.

I'm not sure if the European Midland/Alan & the European Presidents are the same companies as those of old.

My next rig will probably be a 2970.

Cheers

not to bring up a possibly dead thread, but I recently bought a lot of 5 radios and 1 amp from a guy in the PHX area. Included was one of these Midland Alan 8001 radios.

I am more than happy to take photos for you if you would like. Also I will get you a reading of pep watts.

The radio works great, transmits well. The receive is a little quiet but that could be modded. The freq counter has a few LED's burnt out or dead. If you would like pictures, just let me know

928 - The Cisco Kid - Montana

(First Post btw)

not to bring up a possibly dead thread, but I recently bought a lot of 5 radios and 1 amp from a guy in the PHX area. Included was one of these Midland Alan 8001 radios.

I am more than happy to take photos for you if you would like. Also I will get you a reading of pep watts.

The radio works great, transmits well. The receive is a little quiet but that could be modded. The freq counter has a few LED's burnt out or dead. If you would like pictures, just let me know

928 - The Cisco Kid - Montana

(First Post btw)

Welcome Cisco Kid!!

Now that is a great find! Someone must have found it at a truck stop or maybe a trip out of country?
Sure thing! post some pics! And a thread never really dies, just gets a bit moldy ! :LOL:

mechanic

Midland 8001 iplus was a much better radio,receive was good on it,but stabillity was poor,counter drifted all over the place.basically an ept3600 copy,no doubt from korea.i believe earlier ones may have been atcual ept 360014b boards.i had one i kept for a day from new and sent it back to shop (only radio i returned quicker was the cobra 200 gtl dx pos edition,it lasted 10 minutes out of the box,was repackaged and posted that day) and replaced it with a kenwood ts50,and never regretted it.the rubbery knobs are horrendous.i wouldn't recommend buying one as i hear the 8001s euro is much worse.

I found that radio online and did a bit of investigating. I also found a radio supplier in Singapore that stocks it.

Nice looking radio.. Especially with the channel display and freq readout, would make a good export radio if its PEP could be turned up to about 25 watts.

However after looking at some European radio forums, I would advise buyer beware. Talk of the newer versions being unstable etc etc.

I'm not sure if the European Midland/Alan & the European Presidents are the same companies as those of old.

My next rig will probably be a 2970.

Cheers

i doubt midland alan are the same company as they once were,but still use maxon korea to build all their shit radios.

president france was originally known as csi france,they have exclusive rights in europe (except in germany where they are branded as stabo) to uniden in shenzhen (china) building their radios for them,up untill rohs came about in europe they were making high quality radios like president lincoln,president jackson,president grant classic etc,but since rohs the new president jackson 2 has had many problems,although they may have ironed them out by now,but the prices are well out of order.some of the am/fm models have been good though.mitsubishi discontinuing the 2sc range of 27 mhz transistors and motorola discontinuing the mrf line hasn't helped either,both of which were the mainstay of the high quality president european radios.mosfets suck :thumbdown::headbang:headbang

their main competitors are crt france who sell ranger made superstar radios,but they have had quality control issues of late too.rohs seems to have caused many problems in europe now that components containing lead are illegal,including solder.

i had a play with the new midland a while back, i never liked the original but the new version is imho even worse, shitty soldering is not listed in the specifications of the rohs compliant radios but it should be,

rohs has caused havoc with everybody, even the big 3 have issues, yaesu's with hundreds of tiny blobs of solder from the bath all over the board, 857's/897's with bad soldering on the finals and a stupid copper heat spreader that makes replacing finals or resoldering the bad joints almost impossible for anybody without the proper heatplate to remove/replace the spreader, icoms with bad soldering on the finals ect:thumbdown:, its surprising what people who repaire them see that the loving owner is blissfully unaware of, at least you can easilly repair most icoms with real solder,

bend over and take your lead free like a man:cry:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1