• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another unannounced one from ranger

Defects I have found so far:
  1. Stock SRA-198 microphone attenuates modulation significantly
  2. out-of-the-box SSB power far below 12w
  3. 3mm external speaker connector does not return to open after 3mm speaker connection is removed. No audio until connector is then re-inserted part way, then removed.

Defects I have found so far:
  1. Stock SRA-198 microphone attenuates modulation significantly
  2. out-of-the-box SSB power far below 12w
  3. 3mm external speaker connector does not return to open after 3mm speaker connection is removed. No audio until connector is then re-inserted part way, then removed.
I've had a couple ranger made radios with the speaker jack issue you describe. You can clean those contacts and find flux being the issue. The sra-198 is known for that, you have to almost eat the mic when talking into it. For that reason I prefer either the 636L or Telex rk56 over the 198. I think you'll find the bad factory tune to be another commonality among the rangers.

A little work and they're great talkers in my own opinion, have used many ranger made radios for years. Unfortunately that's just what we get anymore.

not exactly. I had to remove the side screws from the face plate first to allow the face plate to swivel up and then down when prying outward on the knobs, otherwise there was no clearance like there is on the galaxy radios to get a purchase on them.

the rubber jar opener is a great idea too. I used something like that technique after I had a put a knob back and forgot the nylon washer. :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated