• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another unannounced one from ranger

Just curious as to how you tre-797 owners are liking the little rig. I've yet to put any use on mine as life has been busy. Other than initially testing it for proper operation, it still sits in the box next to the bench.

Reactions: Slowmover
Well, mine got delivered on friday. Put it thru it's paces this morning. Meh, its ok i suppose. First off, it has a cheaper feel to it. Hard to explain. It feels more plastic and cheaper than a 959, 148, 29 etc. Doesn't have that heft to it. Its put together solid, no play in the knobs/pots, controls are solid feeling, no solder blobs, cold joints or mess ups on the circuit board on the one i got. Output power was set up correctly for the most part, on am, 3/4w on low and 4w on high. I dropped it to 1/2w on low. Am modulation was set at around 80% with a 1k tone. I bumped that up to 100% of course. SSB power was dead on at 12w. Now the bad, the frequency alignment was not good at all! Total ballpark alignment. AM was off just a bit, LSB was high just a hair and USB was waaaay off. About 48hz low, yikes! I think they might have skipped the USB part of the alignment lol. Soooo i gave it a full alignment for the heck of it and it talks and hears good now. Talking to myself for like 3min on the dummy load presented no substantial frequency drift. Need to have a full ssb qso to determine the true outcome on that front. The white meter and light is REALLY white. In videos i saw it didn't look that bad, looked to have a good balance. Nope, this thing is white and bright. I will always have a heart for that old school soft yellowish glow of meters and dials so its an unfair biased opinion on my part. But For me, its just too white. in my opinion the radio is fine for the low price and the build quality / alignment reflects that. Is it gonna be my everyday talker? No unfortunately, its going on the shelf and will probably be sold if i come across someone in need of a radio some day. Thats my review on it....

I’ve never been impressed by any galaxy/RCI product. There are far better sideband rigs for sure. For loud AM maybe they’re ok, but that’s not what I’m into.

Reactions: Slowmover

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated