• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna analyzer?

22racer

Jan 9, 2013
Desert, AZ
I would like to look into an analyzer because just like everybody else I want to get most out of my setup. And SWR meter only tells part of the story. The AA-600 RigExpert is the only one listed in the "Product Reviews" forum. As of right now I am unlicenced only use 11meter. But when I get the time I would like to expand on that later. RigExpert has a cheaper model that covers 0.1 - 30 Mhz. Any other opinions on this brand? MFJ? Comet? I would rather buy quality equipment once, than buy cheap stuff twice... But still not buy way more than what I actually can use/need.

Right now I am battling Common mode currents . At least I think so. I am thinkin a healthy dose of bonding and an analyzer might help remedy some of this.

I would like to look into an analyzer because just like everybody else I want to get most out of my setup. And SWR meter only tells part of the story. The AA-600 RigExpert is the only one listed in the "Product Reviews" forum. As of right now I am unlicenced only use 11meter. But when I get the time I would like to expand on that later. RigExpert has a cheaper model that covers 0.1 - 30 Mhz. Any other opinions on this brand? MFJ? Comet? I would rather buy quality equipment once, than buy cheap stuff twice... But still not buy way more than what I actually can use/need.

Right now I am battling Common mode currents . At least I think so. I am thinkin a healthy dose of bonding and an analyzer might help remedy some of this.
I bought the AA-30 this week. Highly rated on eham.com. Only takes two AA batteries and is compact. MFJ is heavier, bigger, and takes 10 plus AA batteries. $220 on Amazon.

I like the look of the rig expert and the functions as well. Great devices. Having an antenna analyzer is about a must if you plan on playing radio much IMO. Good deal and you will be bappy you got it!!

MFJ 259C, works great for me. www.mfjenterprises.com

MFJ 259's are antiquated!!!

They were great for the time but there are better products out here now. Yes they work, but are quirky to use and eat up batteries.

They are quirky because the tune knob is so touch sensitive that it is hard to lock on a specific frequency and jumps around all over the place even with the slightest touch..

They use 10 AA batteries and drains them fairly quick. These units do have a built in battery charger but it is super slow and you would be better off using an external battery charger.

The 259's are also limited in functions compared to the Rig expert series. Rig experts can do all the functions as the 259' but much more like scanning the antennas bandwidth, R and X,values, even RX values and they can show up to 5 SWR readings at once for multi-band antennas (AA-54 models and up).

I see MFJ recently added a new line of analyzers to compete with the Rig experts that can do many of these functions also.

I have the Rig expert AA-54 which uses only 2 AA batteries and outlasts the 259 by many hours easily. The AA- 54 models in comparison to the AA-30 has the 5 multiple SWR readings and frequency memory storing for fast recall which I like and includes 6 meter analyzing. I now regret not going with the AA-170 which adds 2 meters but maybe some day soon.

As for the AA-600 that the OP mentioned, I can't justify the extra expense over the AA-170 since in a lot of cases, 2 meter and 440 MHz antennas are usually dual band antennas like most mobiles and J-poles for example. Having said that, if 2 meters is showing a good reading, then you should be good to go on 440 on dual band antennas.

Note pic 1 below is one example of what you can do with these Rig expert analyzers.
Here is a scanning example of checking your antennas bandwidth.

In this pic the frequency of the antenna was scanned and shows the lowest SWR at 6.598 KHz at the bottom cursor arrow showing just under 1.2. You can now see the bandwidth of the antenna at a user selectable bandwidth setting which shows here at plus or minus 500 KHz will be an SWR at 3.1.
So here you can see a good usable range of the antenna with a SWR of under 2.1 will be about 200 KHz on either side of the lowest point scanned.

You can move the cursor arrow either direction in this mode to get the exact frequency points to read the SWR value in this scanned region. At anytime you can then press the "ALL" button on the analyzer and get the specifics on what you just scanned and it will look like pic 2.

pic1
swrg-01.gif

pic 2
all-01.gif

Try to do all that with the 259's !

As a side note, when I saw what these Rig experts can do, I immediately bought one and sold my MFJ-259b on eBay. Since at the time there was a good demand for those, I had a bidding war and sold it for around $20 less than what I paid for it.

Last edited:
There was a comparison review online I read a while back, but I cant find it now. It compared the "lower end" or "entry level" type analyzers. Rigexpert aa30, mfj 259b, palstar zm30, sark 100, and the feature tech aw07 were among the analyzers compared. It led me to believe the rigexpert to be the better of the ones reviewed.
I'm planning on getting an analyzer soon also, and ill probably get the aa30. New, they are cheaper than the mfj's, and, from everything Ive read, seem to be superior in quality and functions. Jmo
Wish I could find that darn review(n)

Here are the reviews from the Eham.net showing a perfect 5/5...

can I laugh now,..... do you really believe most of the E-Ham reviews?
that site has a long history of editing and/or deleting posts that are not favorable to their sponsors

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...aDSO8xmIrLGCEUSmEUlH2w&bvm=bv.112064104,d.cGc

in fact,.... "certain" companies have been known to openly offer rewards to people that post "favorable" reviews on E-Ham of their products.

I'm not saying that the analyzer in question isn't a quality product, but come on,... E-Ham????????????

Last edited:

I'm not saying that the analyzer in question isn't a quality product, but come on,... E-Ham????????????

Would Amazon.com be better for you?

There is nothing wrong with reading reviews from Eham. Sure there are biased reviews especially against MFJ products but those are clear enough. Other than that they are mostly opinions from users and we can only hope they are honest in their opinion of any products reviewed. That goes for any reviews everywhere!

You can say my posts here has a slant to it by I can attest to it from personal experiences and some of the reviews on EHam on this very subject of Rig expert analyzers compared to MFJ 259's are similar and I noted that as well.

They were great for the time but there are better products out here now. Yes they work, but are quirky to use and eat up batteries.

They are quirky because the tune knob is so touch sensitive that it is hard to lock on a specific frequency and jumps around all over the place even with the slightest touch..

They use 10 AA batteries and drains them fairly quick. These units do have a built in battery charger but it is super slow and you would be better off using an external battery charger.

The 259's are also limited in functions compared to the Rig expert series. Rig experts can do all the functions as the 259' but much more like scanning the antennas bandwidth, R and X,values, even RX values and they can show up to 5 SWR readings at once for multi-band antennas (AA-54 models and up).

I see MFJ recently added a new line of analyzers to compete with the Rig experts that can do many of these functions also.

I have the Rig expert AA-54 which uses only 2 AA batteries and outlasts the 259 by many hours easily. The AA- 54 models in comparison to the AA-30 has the 5 multiple SWR readings and frequency memory storing for fast recall which I like and includes 6 meter analyzing. I now regret not going with the AA-170 which adds 2 meters but maybe some day soon.

As for the AA-600 that the OP mentioned, I can't justify the extra expense over the AA-170 since in a lot of cases, 2 meter and 440 MHz antennas are usually dual band antennas like most mobiles and J-poles for example. Having said that, if 2 meters is showing a good reading, then you should be good to go on 440 on dual band antennas.

Note pic 1 below is one example of what you can do with these Rig expert analyzers.

In this pic the frequency of the antenna was scanned and shows the lowest SWR at 6.598 KHz at the bottom cursor arrow showing just under 1.2. You can now see the bandwidth of the antenna at a user selectable bandwidth setting which shows here at plus or minus 500 KHz will be an SWR at 3.1.
So here you can see a good usable range of the antenna with a SWR of under 2.1 will be about 200 KHz on either side of the lowest point scanned.

You can move the cursor arrow either direction in this mode to get the exact frequency points to read the SWR value in this scanned region. At anytime you can then press the "ALL" button on the analyzer and get the specifics on what you just scanned and it will look like pic 2.

pic1
swrg-01.gif

pic 2
all-01.gif

As a side note, when I saw what these Rig experts can do, I immediately bought one and sold my MFJ-259b on eBay. Since at the time there was a good demand for those, I had a bidding war and sold it for around $20 less than what I paid for it.
Yes your right, i do love my 259c, i just got a MFJ 226, and am liking it more and more but for someone new i think its good to start with 259 and work your way up.....just moi

that site has a long history of editing and/or deleting posts that are not favorable to their sponsors

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi2rba1nq_KAhVD62MKHZmXCGsQFghQMAg&url=http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/eham-deletes-honest-reviews.99057/&usg=AFQjCNFHiODUaDSO8xmIrLGCEUSmEUlH2w&bvm=bv.112064104,d.cGc

in fact,.... "certain" companies have been known to openly offer rewards to people that post "favorable" reviews on E-Ham of their products.

I will NEVER buy anything from eham, I only buy from the manufacturer

pic1
swrg-01.gif

pic 2
all-01.gif

When i want to check my antennas bandwidth I set my MFJ 259C to my main frequency and then turn the knob and go up or down, yes it is a bit touchy but it does the job. I think all should learn at or near the bottom so one can see how things work. jmt

When i want to check my antennas bandwidth I set my MFJ 259C to my main frequency and then turn the knob and go up or down, yes it is a bit touchy but it does the job. I think all should learn at or near the bottom so one can see how things work. jmt

You just confirmed what I said about the MFJ being touchy. It's actually ridiculous to use a test instrument that is.The Rig expert frequency is directly entered and can be change by moving the cursor on certain screens or by the up/down arrows and always stays locked on frequency.

The point I made about the Rig expert is that you actually get a visual graph of the whole band and what your antenna can do without having to turn a quirky tuning knob.

Also the Rig expert also goes a step further and has a USB computer connection and software to print complex information like Smith's charts and other information.

When you compare the visual graphs with scanning and all the other features against the MFJ 259 there is no comparison.

Look at the user selectable different screens which are lighted for easier viewing and look at the information you get with the Rig expert.

Below you see some scanned screens showing just SWR by itself,SWR bandwidth, Full analyzed info on your antenna, Quick multiple SWR readings for multi-band antennas, R and X scanning, and the easy to use menu screen where you preset the analyzer for what you are working with.

swrsingle.gif
swrg-01.gif
all-01.gif
multi54-01.gif
rxg-01.gif
main30-1.gif

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.