• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna choices and opinions.

PENFIELD.
Too cool,been in Vegas for 5 yrs. Hoa community. No antenna. So I sloped 17 ft(11m) of 12 gage and center fed with 6inch coil of 5 turns a foot under my pvc center connection.About 8ft3inches per side of wire , Have + side 14 ft. up at peak of house about 28 inches away from actual house , the - end pointing WEST and wire end is 28 inches off ground. 45° 50° maybe I don't know the exact angle. Floating free in space, I get skip from mostly Florida, tenn. Ga. Got Hawaii yesterday and Bahamas few days ago. But mainly make contacts in SOUTH EAST direction with my sloper setup like that. I can't really move the it left or right to much! Andy2 cb set at 1.75 watts only. and kl 203p amp. Best part is I still get over half my town coverage for ground use...about 15 miles from my base to mobiles and 30 miles to other Bases. Pretty cool stuff.

Too cool,been in Vegas for 5 yrs. Hoa community. No antenna. So I sloped 17 ft(11m) of 12 gage and center fed with 6inch coil of 5 turns a foot under my pvc center connection.About 8ft3inches per side of wire , Have + side 14 ft. up at peak of house about 28 inches away from actual house , the - end pointing WEST and wire end is 28 inches off ground. 45° 50° maybe I don't know the exact angle. Floating free in space, I get skip from mostly Florida, tenn. Ga. Got Hawaii yesterday and Bahamas few days ago. But mainly make contacts in SOUTH EAST direction with my sloper setup like that. I can't really move the it left or right to much! Andy2 cb set at 1.75 watts only. and kl 203p amp. Best part is I still get over half my town coverage for ground use...about 15 miles from my base to mobiles and 30 miles to other Bases. Pretty cool stuff.

Since we rent where we live I'm not allowed to put up an antenna which bums the s^*t out of me. I sure wish I could. Even an A99 would be fine if I could talk them into it. Although I'd much rather have a true Aluminum 5/8 ground plane.
I may have to move just to find a place where I can have a 30 - 40 ft pole/tower and antenna.
All I can do now is shoot skip and chat from my mobile which, I do have quite a bit of luck with that when the conditions are good.

Reactions: Eldorado828
Since we rent where we live I'm not allowed to put up an antenna which bums the s^*t out of me. I sure wish I could. Even an A99 would be fine if I could talk them into it. Although I'd much rather have a true Aluminum 5/8 ground plane.
I may have to move just to find a place where I can have a 30 - 40 ft pole/tower and antenna.
All I can do now is shoot skip and chat from my mobile which, I do have quite a bit of luck with that when the conditions are good.
You should considered a dipole due to it's stealth. Believe it or not, I've talked to many around the country that reported transmitting on a dipole. I myself have both an aluminum vertical and an attic dipole and when necessary the dipole can work and has.

Just saying, it could get you by temporarily.

This is the one that's been in my attic for quite a few years but could be stashed just about anywhere.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Eldorado828 is speaking everything the way it is. Think of it like hunting whitetail deer, and all you have to hunt with is an old Sears 12 bolt action shotgun with one of those ugly Select-A-Choke on the end of the barrel that your grandpa gave you for your 12th birthday. You killed a lot of squirrel and pheasant hunting with grandpa. That old bolt action 12 gauge with slugs it good out to about 75 yards, If you can see it you can down the deer with a broadside shot through the lungs. Not ideal for open field, but be more than capable in the woods. Everyone will tell you that you need a 308, 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 7mm Remington Mag for whitetail deer. Everyone will have an opinion. 12 gauge shotguns and the man hunting all seasons with one long gun have put lots of meat on the table. Many contacts had been made with the dipole in the attic.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.