• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna Height Question

So, when you give the antenna height of your antenna, do you give it from the base of the antenna (input) or the tippy top?

Also, what matters on a vertical, the tippy top or the whole shebang? From what I understand (I'm just a Tech) the antenna tippy top is important to have clear of obstruction - of course having it all clear of obstruction is the best.

I measure to the base (feed point) and also to the "tip" as some ask. Mine is 20' to the base and 37' or so to the tip. A99

my obstacle here was my house and surrounding houses (I'm in a set of old row homes).

23864AB3-332E-4949-8745-9412892447AC.jpeg

Reactions: TheRATT and binrat
I always state the feedpoint height and since all my antennas are horizontal except for one VHF/UHF vertical that would also be the antenna height. As for verticals since most of them have maximum radiation from the bottom simply having the very top in the clear while the bottom is obstructed is of zero advantage.

My GM Feedpoint is very close to 36 feet. I didn't plan it that way. It just ended up being that. I've used that same pole and there have been 3 verticals before it, since it was erected in 1971. The first was a RS 5/8". It stayed up there, still with original crappy Rat Shack RG-58, until I took it down about 15 years ago.

Reactions: TheRATT
Feed point. The tip is usually doing very little to contribute towards any transmitted or received signals. The "I've only got my antenna up at 5fft but the tip is at 34ft so the top is clearing the roof and it must get out" posts make me cringe a little.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.