• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna Help

As the late Honorable George H.W. Bush might have said, I need a kinder, gentler way to mount an antenna on my F150. And with the vehicle being made of aluminum a magnetic mount (of which I have several) is not an option.

I'm working on a crazy idea: mounting a 102" whip to the trailer towing hitch and making some tuning adjustments from there. It presents a few challenges.

It is a work in progress.

Extremely directional to the front and really not a good option..what about using a piece of aluminum or metal to make a small D shape and mount it through the bed rail centered behind rear window with a 5” whip antenna should clear the cab enough to get a decent SWR . You could use the 102” here also but the flex WILL hit your third brake light ....ask me how I know! I have this on my 2017 Ram 1500 but found my bed was rubber mounted and thus has poor ground. I am currently using a triple mag mount.

Reactions: 357magnum
Extremely directional to the front and really not a good option..what about using a piece of aluminum or metal to make a small D shape and mount it through the bed rail centered behind rear window with a 5” whip antenna should clear the cab enough to get a decent SWR . You could use the 102” here also but the flex WILL hit your third brake light ....ask me how I know! I have this on my 2017 Ram 1500 but found my bed was rubber mounted and thus has poor ground. I am currently using a triple mag mount.

There's a cure for the whip recoiling and hitting the back of the cab. I had the same setup on a my 98 .Sierria, I used a tennis ball on the antenna. Problem solved. (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.