• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any suggestions??

K

kamikaze255

I am wishing to get a ham ticket and I'm trying to decide what sort of tranciever and/or amplifier to purchase. I am looking for any opinions or ideas from you experienced operators. I have some criteria that I must try to stick to though. 1) I need something fairly affordable and very dependable. 2) I have only enough room and money for 1 radio (must sell my 2990 dx when i purchase new radio) and I have some very good friends that are die hard citizens band so i need a radio modifiable to 11m. Im not sure what bands i can talk on with the lowest class license so I need some advice on what bands i will most likely use with the lowest class license( i'm thinking I will have to work for a LLLLLLLLOOOOONGGGGGGGGGG time to pass the Morse test. other than that I have no real preferences as to features, or course the more i can get for the dollar is better. But im not sure if the extra filters, dsp, etc, etc. are actually neccesities. Looking forward to any replies. Happy Holiday's CDX255

As and afterthought: most of the radios I have been looking at are classified as 100 watts or so output on ssb and 40 watts output on AM. is this 40 watts PEP or 40 watts deadkey??

Kamikaze.JPG

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p067.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=kamikaze255>kamikaze255</A> at: 12/14/04 8:58 pm

WELLLLLLLLLL

I agree with DOC get the license THEN get a radio, I had the 706MKIIG and it is a great radio but the FT857or 897D are good choices as well

2 words for code

CODE QUICK

you will learn it FAST IF YOU USE IT CORRECTLY once downloaded on the PC get on the forum and we cantalk you through it dont waste your time with the tapes or CD download it and use it on your computer LIFE WILL BE FUN

www.cq2k.com/

offroadlogo2.gif
</p>

CodeQuick or NuMorse Pro (that's what I used). I understand wanting to get the radio first...for some people that acts like a catalyst. You have this nice shiny radio, but you can't use it so it's a motivator.

Any of the above mentioned radios are great rigs. If you think it will be a while until you upgrade past Technician class, then I would keep the RCI 2990 for 11m, and buy a less expensive mobile 2m/440 radio for use in the house. Something like an Icom 2720 would be great. Most mobiles have detachable faces, so you can stash the body somewhere else. Also, one neat thing about the Icom 2720 is that it has the ability to crossband repeat. That means you can get an inexpensive (used even) 440 mhz handheld and set the 2720 up as a small home "repeater". That would let you roam around your house or property (or farther) using your handheld but with the RX and TX of your base antenna and bigger power radio.

Moleculo

</p>

dxChat
Help Users