1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Anyone Else Experiencing This?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Open Forum' started by Handy Andy, Sep 14, 2020.

1. binrat

binrat WDX Club Coordinator
    Staff Member

Last 2 SOTA activations I have done was in smoke from the south of the border. Not as bad as previous years. I hope and pray for rain in those areas.

357magnum and G GOLLY WAlly like this.

2. The Howler

The Howler Member

And that is how the earth has always rolled.
    Let’s see Yellowstone blowing it’s top In the near future and we will really see weather change fast.

3. r carl

r carl Well-Known Member

The OP said,,,,,,,, Just making an observation or a "Journal entry" - for legacy.

4. Beetle

Beetle Sr. Member

Seeing the sun filtered reminded me of the solar eclipse of about 3 years ago.
    The sun as seen from Earth has an apparent diameter almost the same as the moon, which is why we occasionally see these eclipses.

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  5. TM86

TM86 Sr. Member

Finally officially moved to the AZ mountains in late May. Was looking at the possibility of evacuation due to wildfire in late Jun/early July. Our neighbors had previously survived the Paradise fire, they were looking a little nervous. We were extremely fortunate in that the fire crews were able to contain the fire a bit to the south of town. 5th largest wildfire in state history, because someone's car caught fire on the side of the road.

What's happening right now in California is horrible. But the people out deliberately lighting fires? As far as I'm concerned they're monsters in human skin.

6. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member and 6m addict

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. BJ radionut

[​IMG]
    Smoke from wildfires in Northwest affects western states
    Author Bill
    Bill Gabbert Posted on August 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

Data collected by the European Union's Copernicus Atmosphere Monitoring Service found smoke from the fires had traveled 8,000 kilometers through the atmosphere to Britain and other parts of northern Europe.

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  8. bob85

bob85 Supporting Member

People that start those fires deliberately should be burned in public like guy fawks,
    i will bring the gas & a box of matches.

9. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

Not to spoil the party, but this is an update for the "Journal"

Great News! - found Blue skies today!

Cold Canadian air came rushing in to clear out the haze and smoke - although the Fires are still ongoing, the typical northern climes' blue skies have returned and with a tinge of Fall and if not mistaken, a scent of "snow" - extremely dry artic air mixing in with it.

Here's some of the "raw data" pics from those days of "haze"...

From 9-14-2020 8:30 AM
    upload_2020-9-17_18-36-15.png

9-16-202 approximately 8:10 AM
    upload_2020-9-17_18-39-2.png

Last one, the Sun is not in the picture, but it's the same region of the sky as the first two,
    9-17-202 done about 5:35PM
    upload_2020-9-17_18-41-2.png

So thankfully the Haze was only temporary, but I'm sure it will return.

Thanks to all whom helped.

10. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

That simply means miscellaneous topics. It does not mean anything and everything goes. Even in a world of "free speech" internet forums have the RIGHT to censor and delete. Nuff said on this.

11. snow bird

snow bird Well-Known Member

What a Read .>God Help us All!< Time to Think Hin for what We Have.

12. BJ radionut

Sorry Slowmover...CB would be the last band I would use.

Safety of Life and Property
    First and foremost, in a situation involving the immediate safety of life and/or the immediate protection of property, and where no normal means of communication are available, the rules permit amateurs to use any means to send essential information [97.403]. This rule is straightforward and needs little interpretation. If someone's life or property is immediately threatened and no telephone is available, the last thing you want to do is waste precious time worrying about government regulations. But, be prepared in the aftermath of an incident to justify your action in a possible FCC or local law enforcement inquiry. If other means of communication such as an emergency call box telephone or public communication system are available, they should be used first, before "anything goes."

Stations in Distress
    Another FCC rule states that "an amateur station in distress [is not prohibited from using] any means at its disposal to attract attention, make known its condition and location, and obtain assistance" [97.405(a)]. Also, it states that an amateur station may use any means of radio communication at its disposal to assist another station in distress.

With many VHF/UHF options which are certainly easier/smaller equipment/antennas and power requirements to operate or even mobile/portable HF for that matter(greater distance) that would certainly be a better option or choice than CB...IMHO
    All the Best
    Gary/W9FNB

Slowmover and Captain Kilowatt like this.
  13. ForestRunner98

ForestRunner98 917 SoCal

Although I am not a HAM(yet) I do have a cheapie Baofeng for such emergencies.

BJ radionut likes this.
  14. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

Have to agree with BJ. CB would be the last radio service I would depend on for safety of life. Too much noise when DX is in. Too low power and far too many undisciplined operators on there. Having listened to many emergencies on the amateur bands a good shack in a box type radio would be my choice without any thought.

15. snow bird

snow bird Well-Known Member

And I thought He was Talking To Me About Praying for All Of US ?

dave457 likes this.