• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone Else Experiencing This?

That sure wouldn't be good for the cdl driver or anyone holding a job that drug screens!!

The company I work for does random hair tests, I'd be in trouble...

Exemption, I’d bet.

Still, I’d be running point-to-point paper logs (with daily prevailing winds shown). Wouldn’t hurt to mark up a paper map with known fire locations.

And buy MORE Visine

After that, all involved — men & women — will be needing a fresh set of teeth I get any crap today or in ten years over It.

(Then I’m changing my name to Tommy Chong).

Reactions: Eldorado828
Seeing the sun filtered reminded me of the solar eclipse of about 3 years ago.
The sun as seen from Earth has an apparent diameter almost the same as the moon, which is why we occasionally see these eclipses.

I took a really crappy picture that day.

20170821_123517.jpg

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
"That sure wouldn't be good for the cdl driver or anyone holding a job that drug screens!!

The company I work for does random hair tests, I'd be in trouble..."

I doubt it,
they would also be breathing it in, more likely they would send you out for chocolate & doughnuts before the shops were empty.

First two days I've seen clouds and blue sky in a month ...

You ok up there?

upload_2020-9-21_8-7-14.png

Our local AFD is showing the "ash cloud"
returning...soon.​

I guess I need to issue a little clarification.

I've lived in southern climes and as before - their woods, forests and plains are always under some form of "High Fire Danger" alerts as well as "Smoke Alert - Reduced Visibility Ahead" - you see these signs all the time in and around the North FL, Southern AL, and GA areas due to their ever present fire danger from their forests. You'd rather see them folded up and "click ii or ticket" showing instead, But those are great days to wish for, a good day is to be able to arrive home without the worry of potential evacuation notice blinking away on your answering machine due to the neighbor's having to "bug out" until the firefighters can tame and control the blaze on their side of the "hills".

So this is nothing new, but only of note, because this is occurring as the ash clouds are so distantly so far "west" and it's not unlike a major Volcanic eruption, (Pinatubo, Mt. St. Helens) where the Ash cloud circles the globe and takes years to dissipate. So I'm not trying to cause a panic, I'm trying to raise a level of concern for the others that are busy with fall seasonal work they have to perform. These events can turn into major cooling concerns as well as frost (See above) as well as forcing early harvests. The dust from these events can form the nuclei for snow as well as heavy rains - but only after they dissipate and separate to allow water vapor to gat a chance to form droplets around their grains,

The solar forcing and heating of the climate "shaded" by these regional clouds can cool their temperatures during the day, and affects how quickly the radiational cooling that occurs at night which affects Dewponds and the relative humidity present during the night and day.

So the major concern is these events can cause certain seasons to accelerate, that occur in rapid progression and appear to be cut short as the next season advances (Read this as Winters' Onset) - so I'm posting this as an observation. Because, we have become complacent in thinking that climate change is to the Warm side of things, yes, that can be a short term benefit, but long term effects are also noted in history - and events like these occurring now usually show up as major cooling events for longer periods of time afterwards,

Last edited:
Just a update on the fire near us.
The Creek Fire has now charred more than 350,000 acres with 70% containment. Full containment is not expected until the middle of November.

The devastating fire has destroyed 853 structures and damaged another 64. The ignition source of the Creek Fire is still under investigation.

There remains a crew of nearly 1000 men and women fighting the fire, including 15 engines, 19 hand crews, 9 dozers, 6 helicopters, and 35 water tenders. 26 firefighters have suffered minor injuries.

The firefighters have made significant progress this week with the favorable weather conditions.

The northeast portion of the fire around Vermillion Cliffs north of Lake Thomas A. Edison and the Middle Fork of the San Joaquin River continues to be the most active.
We still are seeing ash on the vehicles every morning.

Jeff

Thanks for this update.

Although our skies here in the upper Midwest are Azure - this doesn't mean it's over - not by a long shot.

The long term effects we will yet await to experience.

To change the focus from Fires to other events - the Pacific has been extremely quiet - except for just recently..

Typhoons Goni Haishen Rolly - these names are not part of the Atlantic hurricane season - they are part of the Pacific region. And are some of the strongest on record for just this season.

Our Atlantic season of hurricanes, which came and still ongoing but we used so many names for the Atlantic side, they have to use default Greek Alphabet to continue the names for all the "Hurricane" events in the Atlantic Basin.

The tying of this together is simply to know that the weather extremes we are experiencing marks 2020 year as a very busy and costly one and not one we can truly claim as "Man-made Climate change"

As far as the rest of the year goes, it's still too soon to tell...As yet Winter season is still building and the Polar Vortex is yet to be fully established - but is forming as the Autumnal season progresses in to Winter.

So from Fire to Ice - this has been a markedly banner year for testing the strength of man against the elements.

May your homes be blessed, and spared....

Coming up to Summer down here in Oz.
I'm just glad I don't live in Sydney City....
From our main news site down here..

A sunny weekend in Sydney. Temperatures will be very manageable, peaking at around 25C both days. However, Monday will see a spike to 332 in the city but in the western Suburbs get ready to sweat with the mercury hitting 40C in Penrith.

332 ? Darn Climate change, might as well move to cooler climate like Venus.

Update.
As of Christmas Eve
with a positive shift in weather conditions, the Creek Fire that burned nearly 400,000 acres around Big Creek, Huntington Lake, Shaver Lake, and Mammoth Pool was declared 100% contained on Christmas Eve by fire officials with the Sierra National Forest.
There are still hot spots, but with it now fully contained maybe we can put this one behind us.

Jeff

It's been a rough year, thanks for keeping us updated.

This seems to have fallen out of the headlines, now even the Winter Solstice Eruption of Kilauea Volcano has been drowned out by Nashville's' "RV" experience.

This is coming on the heels of many Homeless encampments being torn down nationwide for prevention of the Homestead disease that Covid tends to take the form of.

So all of this interrelates back to many signs of stress the nations' been taking on as of late.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?