• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone heard of HAARP?

M

Metal Head

I heard of it a few years back by listening to the Art Bell show Coast to Coast on A.M. radio at night. I belive I've heard HAARP on my 11 meter radio a few times. It's like a very loud buzz that changes pitch and tone up and downn, with a VERY strong signal. The military swears it doesn't affect our radio signals but that's been a matter of debate on the show. Has anyone else ever heard it?

http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/haarp/
http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/haarp/tourar.html

With almost 4 million watts slamming into the ionosphere how can they say it won't affect radio coms? Oh I forgot.It is run by the military so it must be true if they say so.That is one VERY controversial program.It is said to be able to affect weather patterns by heating the upper air levels and even affect human mental abilities.I have heard a repetative buzzing noise many times that gets louder when I point the beam to the north-northwest from here on the east coast.It was not normal auroura sounds either.I am quite familiar with those as I work a lot of 6m auroura DX.

f

HAARP is working on ONE BILLION. That's right, I said - ONE BILLION WATTS... Weather modification, or I like to call it -weather warfare. :shock:
Do a search on Google 'HAARP', lots of great info.

LoneWolf TN

i thought they recently confirmed what they are trying to do is manipulate the ionosphere...I thought i even heard that they can shut down communications and open them up... maybe i have my facts and myths mixed up.

strange story, remember the night Saddam Hussein was captured? Well the same night I heard a station claiming to be a Navy ship (USS George Washington maybe?) operating in the Adriatic Sea on 27.385 LSB. I listened to this station from about 3:00 AM-5:00AM EST. I heard another CBer tell them that Saddam Hussein was captured.

is it related or not? who knows? it's strange to hear DX that late at night at my location on 11 meter.

Yes HAARP is an experimental weather "program" I have heard the interference on the 40 meter band before, last year around this time. I havent heard it recently I wonder if they changed freqs. Very earie sounding!!

MMMMMMM....3 BILLION watts....
homer.gif

Uh, Homer it's time to blow your nose. Once your nostrils are cleared, the letter "M" will no longer sound like a "B".

That's MILLION Watts, not Billion.

Just to start, they choose a frequency that will be most effectively absorbed at the time it's in use. Absorbed, NOT reflected. It aims nearly straight up. Not gonna get much "skip" from that angle, except straight back down. It says they can 'steer' the array up to 30 degrees off of vertical. Even at that angle, the 'skip' distance from Alaska isn't too terribly far.

The layer of the atmosphere that mostly absorbs those Megawatts is roughly 300 meters thick. The "spot" illuminated by the antenna is roughly 30 kilometers in diameter. So the VOLUME that they are heating up is 30,000 times 3.14 times 300, or twenty-eight million, 260 thousand cubic meters. 28,260,000 cubic meters is soaking up 3 Megawatts, which we can conveniently round off to 1 Watt for each ten cubic meters of upper atmosphere. Since one cubic meter is one million cubic centimeters, that one Watt is spread across ten million cubic centimeters. Trust me, the sunlight at those altitudes is a LOT more than one-tenth of a microwatt per cubic centimeter. Not sure of the exact number, but they mention that the VARIATION in solar UV absorbed up there is less that the HAARP energy, once it is spread across its whole target volume.

One tenth of a microwatt per cubic centimeter. Don't know the math right off, but think about illuminating a 30,000-seat football stadium with a 2-cell flashlight. Not sure how high above it you would have to go, maybe a thousand feet or so. Of course, if you hover just a thousand feet up above it with your flashlight, and do it on a clear, moonless night, the starlight falling on the stadium from behind you will be brighter. You get the idea, right?

Your cell phone's field strength across your skull is a WHOLE LOT more than one-tenth of a microwatt per cubic centimeter, holding it to your ear.

Kinda like air travel. You're a thousand-plus times more likely to die in a car going to or from the airport, than in an air crash. But since deaths from air travel are rare and spectacular, this fact gets lost in the hype. Don't worry about insurance for the flight, get some for the trip in the car.

Or, you could check out the countermeasures available, like
The Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie

The math behind this isn't so different from the math that allows evolution to make sense. How many generations of "selective breeding" take place in a million years? Large numbers are what the universe is constructed from. They're just hard to get your arms (mind) around.

Well, who knows? Maybe the PhD who wrote their web-site description is wrong, and he's off by a factor of a thousand-to-one? Maybe.

Even so, if it is a thousand times more power than I used for the "rough" calculation, that would make it one-tenth of a milliwatt per cubic centimeter. Now we're getting CLOSE to the intensity of your cell phone. At a about one yards' distance, more or less. Pretty scary, sure enough.

I sure don't have arms long enough to hold a cell phone that far away and still use it. Would'nt want to be exposed to anything much bigger than the HAARP's field intensity. Not unless your CB is strictly barefoot. A big box, like one that burns your lips on the mike, exposes you to 100,000 times or so more RF than the HAARP field intensity, EVEN IF you believe the "billion" number.

Pretty scary, alright.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.