• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone Recognize This Radio? GECOL GV-2000

Taxi Driver

Mar 2, 2014
Oregon Monsoon Central
I'm resurrecting my antique 11m radio.

I don't know much about it.
The tag says it's a GECOL GV-2000. I bought it used in the mid 1990's
A search on the internet turned up no specific info about this radio.
There's a GV-2000 parts radio for sale in Thailand. That's the only specific reference to this model.

I'm curious about the SWR adjustment in the back. Does it actually work?
I've bought a Sirio mag mount and 4000 antenna for it.
It was working when I removed it from my car at the time.
It was tuned to run with an amp.
I'm hoping up fires right up and picks up where it left off. After a proper SWR check.

Pic of the front
6tpjqs.jpg

back
20hq05k.jpg

insides. Excuse the lighting. In real life the board looks fine to me.
1z5lvn8.jpg

label blown-up
wcmsko.jpg

Hopefully someone out there knows something about this old radio.

Thanks in advance

Early 1980s vintage, not much info for this transceiver, but.... Gecol was moderately popular in Europe and may have been under different names. Look alikes were made for Radio Shack (Realistic) and GE (General Electric) but not SSB. I would say it was an ODM from a generic radio factory aka custom order.
About the TC9106BP (Toshiba) PLL, FCC rules brought this chip out to prevent out of band operation by use of a built in ROM, read only memory. :headbang What is strange is that it was meant mainly for AM radios so SSB is really an oddball. To have upper and lower sideband, this radio injects an offset frequency to bring USB and LSB about. Since the PLL uses T/R switching at 455 kHz, the use of SSB needs two different mixers to make this work. This can be seen by the two crystals and AM/SSB IF mixing cans. The TC9106 is able to drive the LED channel read out.
This PLL chip can be converted for more frequencies by the use of a injector mod, the old Expo 'S' kit might work. Otherwise the transceiver is locked on the normal 40 channels.

73 mechanic

Early 1980s vintage, not much info for this transceiver, but.... Gecol was moderately popular in Europe and may have been under different names. Look alikes were made for Radio Shack (Realistic) and GE (General Electric) but not SSB. I would say it was an ODM from a generic radio factory aka custom order.
About the TC9106BP (Toshiba) PLL, FCC rules brought this chip out to prevent out of band operation by use of a built in ROM, read only memory. :headbang What is strange is that it was meant mainly for AM radios so SSB is really an oddball. To have upper and lower sideband, this radio injects an offset frequency to bring USB and LSB about. Since the PLL uses T/R switching at 455 kHz, the use of SSB needs two different mixers to make this work. This can be seen by the two crystals and AM/SSB IF mixing cans. The TC9106 is able to drive the LED channel read out.
This PLL chip can be converted for more frequencies by the use of a injector mod, the old Expo 'S' kit might work. Otherwise the transceiver is locked on the normal 40 channels.

73 mechanic

I understood some of response. I'll have to research the rest. :confused:
I have no plans to screwdriver this radio. I want to get it running and use it in lieu of a proper export radio.

Thank You

If you just want the standard 40 channels AM/USB/LSB it will be fine, no need for an Export.

Jeff

I met a Expert license holder in my cab. He'll help me with my current setup on the condition I get a Tech license.
So I'm studying for a Tech license. 10 meter voice is my goal and I think I need a General license to get there.
And a new radio.

Hopefully someone out there knows something about this old radio

Instantly recognizable to anyone in Oz that had CB in the late 80s.
Sold in huge numbers down here as a "super puma" radio.

There was 2 versions, the grey one as below or a silver faced one like the picture you showed, lettering on both was the same.

I'm curious about the SWR adjustment in the back

From the manual: it adjusts the AWI (antenna warning indicator) light just above the channel numbers, you set the pot so the light just comes on at swr 2:1, so if your swr goes over 2 the awi light comes on if you break your antenna or someone steals it, the adjustment does not change the swr as far as I can tell.

Pic:

Attachments

• Puma.JPG
    Puma.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 76

There was 2 versions, the grey one as below or a silver faced one like the picture you showed, lettering on both was the same.

From the manual: it adjusts the AWI (antenna warning indicator) light just above the channel numbers, you set the pot so the light just comes on at swr 2:1, so if your swr goes over 2 the awi light comes on if you break your antenna or someone steals it, the adjustment does not change the swr as far as I can tell.

Pic:

Thanks for the info.

Got it up and running. With the new antenna it pulls in skip as good as it did way back when.

73 mechanic
I need a service schematic for this radio. My radio has developed pll problems after years of service. My radio is the Pearce Simpson Super Puma version with sidebands

Nice looking little radio. Wish they still made something this small that has AM and SSB built in. You'd think that with the SMT technology and how small things are becoming that something like this modernized a bit would do well as far as sales goes as its a compact radio that has SSB. Make something like the uniden 980 like this. Less BS and more simplicity!! With all the room in a 980, a smaller chassis like this would have been nice. Just dreaming I suppose!! At any rate, nice looking little older radio. How well does it hold on freq?? As in does it drift a lot? Just curious. At any rate, glad you got it up and running and hopefully RV will get a schematic from some one. Good luck and enjoy the radio Taxi Driver.

Yes-that is a Pearce and Simpson Super- Puma and Also sold as a Super Tomcat 2, with different knobs on it.
Exactly the same inside and out because i have a Super Puma right here myself and have been trying to fix it.
That's what bought me to this page, when i googled the PLL chip.
Likewise- I have been unable to find much, if any data on this radio as far as schematic diagrams go.
I'm wondering why the two crystal sockets are there, but shorted out by pins instead?
Perhaps, the PLL chip does the job they were provisioned for on the board.

Last edited:
561768489.jpg "crystal sockets" are actually the bias jumpers for checking bias for driver and final (ala "mirror board" in a similar radio
the tc9106 pll does not use the t/r pin when used in a ssb radio ..this chassis is single conversion I.F so no 455khz offset required @mechanic is incorrect in his assumption ..this pll was used in many ssb transceivers 90% were single conversion I.F
the diagram tuneup data for a prease simpson super tomcat / puma and "great" ssb) (forget model number)" will be 95% close to this radio

yes swr setting was for awi led

i see the radio has all the usual alc/amc pots jerkulated to the max....lol

Pic:

Pic:
I just picked up a Gecol today

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated