• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ANYONE SERIOUS ABOUT GAINING KNOWLEDGE?

I'd rather show the work involved, then the end user can find someone willing to do it, then they have to settle on a payment schedule to repair it - and they'll deal with each other until the agreement is broken or the stuff gets' sold...
Kinda like an extended warranty - only with your radio equipment.

Snake and some others follow that principle - you buy it from me, I'm now your best friend...

Actually the lot of people that you should not deal with like Snake, Fine Tune and friends operate on a "you sent it to someone else/ let someone else look at it so your banished" principle.
Then you have to beg them which stokes their narcissism because they think you need them now. This is used in conjunction with an artificial scarcity model. The same one used by Nintendo and other electronics manufacturers to stoke interest based on how hard it is to get. The harder it is to get the more people want it.

Same with knowledge. They make it hard to get or wrap it up in misinformation then add slogans to complete the whole package. It's not much different than a 2am infomercial.

9E2D6C2F-4720-4514-901C-AD937ED07F79.jpeg
Actually the lot of people that you should not deal with like Snake, Fine Tune and friends operate on a "you sent it to someone else/ let someone else look at it so your banished" principle.
Then you have to beg them which stokes their narcissism because they think you need them now. This is used in conjunction with an artificial scarcity model. The same one used by Nintendo and other electronics manufacturers to stoke interest based on how hard it is to get. The harder it is to get the more people want it.

Same with knowledge. They make it hard to get or wrap it up in misinformation then add slogans to complete the whole package. It's not much different than a 2am infomercial.

I read that and I swear to god, I was rollin’!!!! Sounds like some cartoon or a circus act, maybe a group that entertains at kids parties. I finally watched one of his videos once I found out who y’all were talking about. I don’t know enough to make an opinion but I’ll say he reminds me of Tommy Chong.

Reactions: Martian
Oh, The "Fine Tune" videos are entertaining.
He will have videos with a title of XYZ subject and won't mention the subject either at all, or for 30 seconds in a 10-15 minute video.

That's not knowledge. It's an infomercial.

Reactions: LeapFrog
Nice Equipment?

Because it's hardly used...

The Pair of Pliers, Hemostats and the Dike cutters are his go-to tools...in nearly every shot of his vids...

I don't know if any of that 30+ year old stuff is "nice"
It's old and unsupported. Does it work for a CB? sure.

Remember, this is the guy that is claiming to operate under standards set forth by NIST which means ISO certifications and accreditation galore.

A guy in a motorhome is running at NIST standards?

Let's look at these standards courtesy of the EEVblog:

No, in his DREAMS is he operating under NIST standards. Or the standard of ANY NMI.
He is a hack in a trailer. Nothing more.

Well it is. Especially compared to some of those other fly-by-nights.

That's a fair point. But he doesn't even use it properly.

In one of his videos he is showing the frequency counter on old HP CDMA test set that he uses. It was rolling around on an AM modulated signal.
DUH!
Then he was adjusting the modulation pot in the radio to "get it on frequency"

WTF?
Really?

So much for knowing your gear and having ISO certifications.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I’m not defending the guy, I don’t know jack about him. I can’t disagree with what’s being said about him though. But in my opinion his equipment is nice compared to what so have used in some of these videos I’ve seen. At least his workspace is clean and definitely not like some people we’ve seen before.

I can’t say he’s a hack, I’ve not seen him do anything to call him a hack. All I saw was him telling me to pay attention and shit talk whoever’s radio he had in front of him, the “tech” that worked on it. I don’t recall seeing him really “fix” anything. Maybe I missed something, I’ll go back and look again.

NIST?

Not if the audio sounds like that, it's what makes it "better" than NIST!

Because if clipping a limiter does that to make the audio sound like that, it ain't NIST!

Then he was adjusting the modulation pot in the radio to "get it on frequency"

Yea, point taken. I have the same test set though so I can’t knock that part, haha.

What I like the most about him and the rest when using a scope is how they don’t show the box cars, they’ll just talk and say how it looks good. Or it’s rolling and jumping and you can’t tell wtf you’re looking at. Here, let me tell you how bad the other guy was but wait, I won’t show you anything but it was bad and now it’s good and see that there, see how good it is now.

I’m not defending the guy, I don’t know jack about him. I can’t disagree with what’s being said about him though. But in my opinion his equipment is nice compared to what so have used in some of these videos I’ve seen. At least his workspace is clean and definitely not like some people we’ve seen before.
Clean workspaces are good. No disagreement.
What I think your mentioning is Joker Man. And yes, the two are on opposite sides of the spectrum. Joker Man is ignorance on fire. Fine Tune is ignorance turned into marketing material.

I can’t say he’s a hack, I’ve not seen him do anything to call him a hack.

Keep watching. I cited a situation above where he doesn't understand how his own gear works. He loves to fiddle with the ref level on his VSA and flame others when they do it.
He has a coaxial dynamics or Bird RF sampler but in videos claims that they should not be used and to avoid techs that use them.
So, yes, he is a hack trying to mislead people. Do as I say not as I do.
Even when that is actually the correct way to sample a signal that is too great for the instrument.
But you calibrate that sampler with a known signal level and adjust your VSA ref/attenuator levels accordingly. Ever see him do it?
He cant. He lacks the gear to do this calibration on his "calibrated bench" and this is not something you send to a cal lab to do for you. It has to be done on site as part of the prep work to do your measurements.

Edit: fix my typos.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.