1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

ANYONE SERIOUS ABOUT GAINING KNOWLEDGE?

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by Sonar, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Sonar

Sonar Well-Known Member

I'm sure many members are familiar with Peter and his TRX bench YouTube channel.
    But for those of you who aren't, and are truly interested in learning from a true technician, this might be exactly who you're looking for.
    I myself watch the videos just to pick up little tidbits, but I'm not serious about delving that deeply into the technical aspects of how the equipment we use works, and can be repaired.
    Peter has a way of explaining things very precisely, while making it understandable even for somebody with my extremely Limited knowledge
    So for those of you who are really interested, and already have a good grasp on the technical side of our Hobby you might enjoy Peters very educational clips.
    Some of them can run 2 hours, but are easy to watch nevertheless. TRX Benche on YouTube. 73

#1 Sonar, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017

2. giboni

giboni Break Break..Does anyone have any Grey Pupant ?

Hey I have one of those Dee 5000 LCR meters !

3. Radio Tech

Radio Tech Radio Operator

Sonar likes this.
  4. kaos513

kaos513 Well-Known Member

peter is a great guy i followed all his videos from day 1 , he knows his stuff

Sonar likes this.
  5. LeapFrog

LeapFrog Sr. Member

#5 LeapFrog, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  6. Sonar

Sonar Well-Known Member

Thanks for adding his channel. I've never added anyone's YouTube channel and had a problem doing so when I tried Eddie his.. Thanks again. 73

7. kaos513

kaos513 Well-Known Member

I followed peter from day one he even improved his english as his videos went on

rabbiporkchop and Sonar like this.
  8. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Well-Known Member

Have you seen this yet? W2AEW is probably my favorite out of the guys you mentioned.

LeapFrog likes this.
  9. Martian

Martian Active Member

I saw what you did there. :rolleyes:

LeapFrog likes this.
  10. Low_Boy

Low_Boy Well-Known Member

The guy is great I also like his reviews.

11. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

Now you know how older Arcade games like SEGA works...

Remember Battlezone? X-Y with luminance (brightness of the ray trace)

They used X-Y and RGB with luminance for the old Star Wars "Trench" game.

And tells me I did the right thing holding onto and rebuilding an older Analog scope...

12. Martian

Martian Active Member

I used to use an old CRT scope as a monitor for grins for a long time.
    Battlezone.... yes, in my arcade days.
    I still have a members only jacket, too :)

DSOs have the ability to record a waveform and display it later. That's something an old CRT scope (unless it's one of the old CRT based DSOs) does not have.
    You can also extract that data and analyse it later.
    That's fairly important if you want to analyse the minutiae of a signal.
    There are things you can see on a DSO (depending on memory depth) that you can't on a old scope. Triggering and advanced measurement as well.
    Beware those using a video by a prominent engineer to advance a sales pitch, which is quite sad and desperate.

Fiddling with XY mode can be a lot of fun.
    I still do it.

Sonar likes this.
  13. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

Yes!

There's a lot of good videos' out there - and oh how I used to catch h*ll for trying to describe what now can be seen in a quick 2 minutes - a pic may be worth a 1000 words, but the vids can speak VOLUMES about a topic...

PoDuck and rabbiporkchop like this.
  14. MicroWave

MicroWave Survivalist

Yes, he is outstandingly good, but unfortunately not as consistent in repairs as Carlson. Carlson is a perfectionist, he would immediately correct a bad or unfavourable arrangement of components. W2AEW, on the other hand, always keeps the effort as low as possible and hardly deviates from the original concept. Incidentally, that's the only thing that bothers me about him a bit. TRX Bench is also a remarkable channel where much is explained. However, I miss a certain degree of honesty here, if a brand new device already deviates too far from the official specifications with its factory settings, then one should also openly describe this as error-prone. To play it down and to present it as only suboptimal I don't consider appropriate. :unsure:

LeapFrog likes this.
  15. PoDuck

PoDuck Active Member

I remember him explaining baluns, but throughout his first video he kept calling them "balloon". I had to laugh.

Sonar likes this.