• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ANYONE SERIOUS ABOUT GAINING KNOWLEDGE?

I used to use an old CRT scope as a monitor for grins for a long time.
Battlezone.... yes, in my arcade days.
I still have a members only jacket, too :)

DSOs have the ability to record a waveform and display it later. That's something an old CRT scope (unless it's one of the old CRT based DSOs) does not have.
You can also extract that data and analyse it later.
That's fairly important if you want to analyse the minutiae of a signal.
There are things you can see on a DSO (depending on memory depth) that you can't on a old scope. Triggering and advanced measurement as well.
Beware those using a video by a prominent engineer to advance a sales pitch, which is quite sad and desperate.

Fiddling with XY mode can be a lot of fun.
I still do it.
Sorry for going off subject, but I couldn't help the Members Only reference.
Back when I was in my mid-to-late twenties (late 80s and early 90s) I was spending lots of time around Goodfellas that actually worked for for Al Capone when they were kids.
It was unacceptable to dress like I would've wanted too while hanging out with these fellas. I was into bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains excetera excetera excetera, and would have preferred to dress as I would've liked to.
Unfortunately it was unacceptable to do so while hanging out with what we referred to as the mustache Pete's. A mustache Pete was and still is used to refer to a old time mafioso. Although most of those guys are long gone the frase is still used (rarely.)
We spent so much time around them we'd inevitably go clothes shopping with them. We couldn't help but pick up the style of the mustache Pete's. Unfortunately for me and many of my friends Members Only was almost a clothing prerequisite. Heres the proof. Members only jacket, and shirt. Lol.... P.s. having to wear members only at such a young age has left me traumatized. At the ripe old age of 54 I now wear Ralph Lauren skinny jeans/ sweats, Enemy of the State, mafioso, and some throwback Hilfiger t-shirts. I own and wear nothing but Timberlands (not the kind one where's while doing construction work.) That's the type of clothing I should have worn then.
(Then)
20180714_204807.jpg
(Now)
FB_IMG_1533137336786.jpg

I remember him explaining baluns, but throughout his first video he kept calling them "balloon". I had to laugh.
His bad English, which bothered me from the beginning, can easily lead to questioning his professional skills. Besides, I think his explanations are far too lengthy in most cases!

@Sonar
It does not really matter, both styles are extremely tasteless! :LOL:

Last edited:
Having been on the internet since the 80s, I have gotten pretty used to people's difficulties with speaking English, and I don't tend to equate those difficulties with other aspects of their knowledge. I do occasionally run across an amusing mispronunciation that makes me chuckle though. Pronouncing "balun" as "balloon" is one. One that I find pretty common though is pronouncing the "o" in "focus" as if it were a "u". It doesn't matter how many times I hear that one, I still laugh.

His bad English, which bothered me from the beginning, can easily lead to questioning his professional skills. Besides, I think his explanations are far too lengthy in most cases!

@Sonar
It does not really matter, both styles are extremely tasteless! :LOL:
Such hostility. I think I understand.
I found it very odd that you associate poor English with someone's ability to repair or inability to repair in this case ham radio equipment.
Does Peter speak perfect English? The answer is obviously no. I can't for the life of me figure out how his poor English equates to lack of knowledge in his field of expertise.
Your comment about both my past and present clothing styles on top of your conclusion that Peter's abilities are in question based on his poor English leads me to believe that you are a very angry individual.
Life is a wonderful gift, and to go through it Angry at everything affiliated with it leads me to believe that you have issues.
I based that conclusion Upon the strident tone, and negative opinions based on someone's poor English, and questionable clothing choices. Your replies, and convoluted opinion, and conclusions leads me to believe that you are self-loathing. You may possibly have some type of mental illness or fall into one or possibly all 3 of the following disorders. Narcissistic, self-loathing, antisocial personality disorder.
How does it feel to be judged by what I gleaned from your two short replies?
The fact that you find my past and current choice in clothing attire doesn't bother me at all.
What does bother me is the fact that you would actually judge someone like Peter because of his poor English.
I myself have absolutely no problem understanding Peters English.
Maybe the problem isn't his English but you're in ability to decipher it.
In my opinion Peters English is not only easily understandable, but I often find his knowledge of a language that is not of his own (English) easier to understand then some who have been born and raised in America. Good luck.

Such hostility. I think I understand.
I found it very odd that you associate poor English with someone's ability to repair or inability to repair in this case ham radio equipment.
Man you sound like an insulted widower who was stolen the last shirt! Learn to live with different opinions before you criticize others for their views. The disappointment of all this is literally written on your face. I could have also written that you look in your clothes like the very last tramp. I don't see the slightest reason to justify my comment, least of all to you! :p

Another good advice, buy something decent to wear and get a life! :D

Seriously?

We are questioning one guys self expression and the other guys expertise because he doesn't speak English as a first language?

Neither do some of my colleagues but they have batchelors or masters degrees.
Never thought to question their education because their English is not as good as mine.

Wow.

Reactions: Sonar and Riverman
Youts.jpg

Reactions: Riverman and Sonar
Seriously?

We are questioning one guys self expression and the other guys expertise because he doesn't speak English as a first language?

Never thought to question their education because their English is not as good as mine.

Wow.

1533936949253~2.jpg

Seriously?

Wow.
I always need to remind myself that those who speak broken English usually speak two languages. Unfortunately I only speak one with a little guttural slang plus a few swear words I never forgot in high school Spanish class. I only blame myself, Rosetta Stone is out of the question at my age.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.