• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone Ares 2

Well maybe they're sparing us from a possible nightmare... Or after all the discord between countries and certain semiconductors, Xi said no way they get another radio from them.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I’m not to impressed all it has is hi and low power switch… rather have variable power…
Variable is nice on a real radio especialy one with 100w or more but on this a hi low should be sufficient. You can always alter components to adjust the high low if it does not have pots for that!

Clearly it is designed tolook like a CB but also have a lot more channels than a CB. If you want it to look like a CB make it then this is good. If you want it to look like a modern export or 10m radio make it look like that then.

The last thing we need is a HUGE chassis and a cluttered to death control head/face plate like the craptastic Stryker 955 with so many controls a grown mans hand cann ot easily work the radio while driving!

Reactions: jdchet
I am betting that CObra or Uniden will have them remove the band switch and associated parts and take it down to a single final and make it a Cobra 148GTL or Uniden Grant XL.

I hope they do not make this radio a full size 1970's chassis. I do not drive a pedo van or a 1980's Suburban. It would be nice if it could mount in a modern 4 door sedan not a Buick Estate Wagon!

If Ranger would have gotten off their rear end 10+ year ago and made an RCI2950 in a Din Package or at the very least 30% smaller than current one in all directions, used encoder that do not flop around out of the box, given use a receiver that does not need a tech to modify it to be less noisy they might still be relevant. Instead they gave a garbage made so cheaply as to be almost worthless while increasing the price point constantly. They kept focusing on putting cheaply made amplifiers under an already too large chassis making it unmountable in anything not a full size truck or van and demanding an electrical system not available on most stock vehicles!

Keep the RCI2950 control layout but shrink it down. Clean up the receiver. Give it punchier audio on AM and SSB. Make the audio on par with the old tube and tube hybrid Kenwoods so that they kick butt out of the box. Decrease the power and the price at the same time! Why decrease the power? Because we have too many IDIOT boxes right now that can not interface safely with 99% of the CB amps built in the last 50 years! Give the ability to fully interface with a PC like a SDR with waterfall when on a PC or Phone. Make the audio so good that the chinese will be caught witht heir pants down! So a stock radio with audio very close to what you might get with direct inject or hifi mod. True eSSB. No technician needed out of the box FANTASTIC! Make sure it can do all modes including digital with no modifications or expansion boards! DSP built in! EQ built in!

Bring it to market for $249! I worked in manufacturing for decades. I know this is doable easily! I worked for General Motors you would not believe how cheap parts are when purchased at scale! It is not that they can't do it rather they do not want to do it!

If they did this they could still sell to people driving 1980's Suburbans but now they could also sell to people driving Toyota's, Kia's, Tesla's etc.....Everyone like me with smaller amps 1, 2, and 4 pills amps could use this and people with 32 pill amps could use it as well. When turned down it could be used as a QRP rig. You could be riding your electric bike and talking ont he radio at the same time!

Imagine being able to use your cellphone as a blue tooth VOX device witht he radio for example. Imagine if the phone not only was the VOX device but also had the EQ and noise gate and downward expander etc with an app!

No Ranger has enjoyed peddling garbage at top dollar for decades now!

I tried to save an American company a decade ago. I gave them a business plan that would turn them around for free! It would not only have made them profitable but it would have guaranteed they stayed ahead for the market for some time to come! They did not listen and now they are out of business. I gave their competition the same plan for free and that foreign company now dominates the market. It took them about 2 years to start to execute my ideas but they executed my plan about 75%. I was passionate about keeping that industry in America and was willing to work for free. When they shunned me I was just as happy to see them crushed under the weight of old thinking and old business models!

The American company ended up selling their tooling for pennies on the dollar and defaulting on a lot of debt. Last I checked the industrial property is still not sold. Part of their problem was county, city and state taxes combined with ancient business model.

If they have not already been doing R&D and just sitting on the designs shame on them for milking their past designs and the market with out investing in themselves and their future market dominance!

Reactions: NZ8N and FredTx63
Looks like it will be a little while but for good reasons. This is the email I got from Scott's this morning. It's nice to see that they aren't just throwing it out there but instead want to refine it before making it available. Ranger should watch how this is done, they could learn a thing or two.

"Anytone Ares II 10 Meter Radio​
I know there's a lot of excitement for this new radio.

I currently have a pre-production model.
An extensive amount of testing was conducted. All the findings were reported back to Anytone.
Only a limited amount of pre-production models have been distributed throughout the world. Once all the feedback has been submitted, a production model should be released.
I can tell you that the receiver is excellent, just like the AT5555nii
It has the same DSP noise reduction. The SSB frequency stability is excellent. Same circuit board style as K-Po DX 5000+, CRT SS 6900v with NRC, Stryker SR955v2, CRT SS7900v Turbo, and Anytone AT5555Nii.
I have given Anytone all the feedback I can for what the American radio operator prefers. One last thing to note. The power output is on par with the K-PO Dx-5000+.
Rest assured that I will give my honest assessment when a completed production model is ready."

Looks like it will be a little while but for good reasons. This is the email I got from Scott's this morning. It's nice to see that they aren't just throwing it out there but instead want to refine it before making it available. Ranger should watch how this is done, they could learn a thing or two.

"Anytone Ares II 10 Meter Radio​
I know there's a lot of excitement for this new radio.

I currently have a pre-production model.
An extensive amount of testing was conducted. All the findings were reported back to Anytone.
Only a limited amount of pre-production models have been distributed throughout the world. Once all the feedback has been submitted, a production model should be released.
I can tell you that the receiver is excellent, just like the AT5555nii
It has the same DSP noise reduction. The SSB frequency stability is excellent. Same circuit board style as K-Po DX 5000+, CRT SS 6900v with NRC, Stryker SR955v2, CRT SS7900v Turbo, and Anytone AT5555Nii.
I have given Anytone all the feedback I can for what the American radio operator prefers. One last thing to note. The power output is on par with the K-PO Dx-5000+.
Rest assured that I will give my honest assessment when a completed production model is ready."
I got the same email, good of him to keep us informed. Maybe it will be out by spring.

Reactions: Retro CB Guy
That's not the latest version :)

Newest version has moved things around a little. Has NRC for RX and also TX (will reduce background noise). Has NPC on/off as well for audio boost - not sure if it's an actual NPC yet but basically it's kinda of a max mod type adjustment. Not much distortion with it on from what I can tell and it does boost audio. FIN is the clarifier - no coarse. It can be set to control RX, TX, or both.

It's actually quite easy to use even though it doesn't have the full menu display screen. Receive is great and transmit audio sounds good. Very much like a 5555 ii in a more traditional layout. The guys that don't like all the menu displays or small knobs are really going to like this radio plus it has the adjustable echo and roger beeps those guys like.

I've started working on the video overview. Hoping to have it ready by next weekend. Radio should hit market in April from what I'm told.

334533623_888431742208888_2906609596636995633_n.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.