• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone Ares 2

I am happy to report that this radio is the winner that we were all hoping for. The switches on the front have the things you need. Except Roger beep is in the menu, not a big deal, I don't usually use it. Out of the box, it does 45w in every mode. Even FM, be careful with that, I wonder how much heat that would generate? It has a real channel selector that doesn't skip. It has DSP noise reduction for tx and rx and they are independently adjustable without going into the menu. Anytone set the bar really high with this one.

View attachment 63982
Thanks for the report Chris
So is that the most updated version of the radio? According to Scott's there was an early version and the current with a slightly different control layout.
In the trucker world it would look great installed in a Pete, Cadillac radio for a Cadillac truck.
It's a good looking radio that's for sure.

Thanks for the report Chris
So is that the most updated version of the radio? According to Scott's there was an early version and the current with a slightly different control layout.
In the trucker world it would look great installed in a Pete, Cadillac radio for a Cadillac truck.
It's a good looking radio that's for sure.
Yes, it is the updated version. They had just decided to make the new version when I ordered it, that's why it took so long. The actual shipping took about a week, they must have put it on a plane. The markings on the box has some labels with Chinese writing, so I am sure that it was a direct shipment. I am also getting one from Amazon, I will compare the two to see if there is any difference between the ones made for the American market. It looks like a Cobra 148 at first glance, and I am sure that was purely intentional. The adjustable DSP and real channel selector gives it one up on the Stryker 955. As soon as we can get into the engineering menu, I bet it will be a 955 killer. That's why they are so tight with this secret, I am sure.

I asked my contact at Anytone if he could tell me how to get into the engineering menu. He assured me that they set the data in good condition, and do not offer service menu as before......
Well if it's a winner already then we shall just let her cruise!

I'm still waiting on the q6 pro to make its entrance.

I just got mine recently, paid $170+tax to get the radioddity version during a 15% off sale on their website, free shipping and programming cable included!

Seems really nice. I haven't had much time to play with it yet. The DSP is pretty impressive though.

I'm hoping someone will find the schematic and post where on the board to tap the IF for an external frequency counter, I think that would be a worthwhile mini mod because I don't totally love the "holding two mic buttons and trying to mentally read off three fast flashing sets of numbers" approach to checking the current frequency. Other than that its a really cool radio so far.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
The audio on the Ares 2 sounds great, but I think I hear a little something. Maybe others can confirm, I think the TX has a slight reverb sound. With the echo and TX noise reduction off, I hear a slight reverb in my monitor radio. Nothing bad, probably cant hear it on the other end, just wondering if anyone else has noticed it?

The audio on the Ares 2 sounds great, but I think I hear a little something. Maybe others can confirm, I think the TX has a slight reverb sound. With the echo and TX noise reduction off, I hear a slight reverb in my monitor radio. Nothing bad, probably cant hear it on the other end, just wondering if anyone else has noticed it?
From what I can tell that is just the monitor function and not the TX audio. I did the on-air audio TX test in my video and that reverb sound isn't there on the receiving radio. I do notice it with the monitor function on though, but doesn't bother me.

Yes they do! The N2 sounds the same too. It is the digitally processed audio. I call it DigiWigi. All audio is processed in firmware. DSP artifact but I like it!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.