• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone Ares 2

The audio on the Ares 2 sounds great, but I think I hear a little something. Maybe others can confirm, I think the TX has a slight reverb sound. With the echo and TX noise reduction off, I hear a slight reverb in my monitor radio. Nothing bad, probably cant hear it on the other end, just wondering if anyone else has noticed it?
This catches so many people out. These new rigs all run the RX and TX audio through various DSP stages, and as a result there is a noticeable delay on RX and TX. When you listen on a monitor radio in your shack, it almost always sounds like echo or reverb. "Did I leave the echo on?" No, you didn't! hihi

This same thing happens with all radios that do this digital processing - SDR's like the Flex and ANAN series as well. It's a thing. High gain microphone stages that work wonders on processing voice, and some DSP processing delay. It creates this exact scenario.

Go to http://www.kiwisdr.com/public/ (or similar) and find a remote SDR that can hear you. Use the built-in wav file record feature to record yourself, with the PC speakers all muted, and the volume of the ARES 2 down, (no chance of the 'mic to speaker' echo occuring.). Play this back. Your transmission will sound perfect with no echo and no reverb. :)

Last edited:
Just got mine yesterday. Beware of the weather alarm!!! Had to be what it was last night. Startled me big time. Loud is an understatement. So far so good. Got some feed back locally as I worked my way through the settings. Very cool radio.
Plenty of feed back today DX wise on SSB. Same unsolicited positive reports on the audio throughout the day. Think it’s a keeper!!! As far as I can tell the NPC function does exactly what it’s intended to do. At least with my set up ATM. Quickly getting attached to this radio.

Just got mine yesterday. Beware of the weather alarm!!! Had to be what it was last night. Startled me big time. Loud is an understatement. So far so good. Got some feed back locally as I worked my way through the settings. Very cool radio.
Plenty of feed back today DX wise on SSB. Same unsolicited positive reports on the audio throughout the day. Think it’s a keeper!!! As far as I can tell the NPC function does exactly what it’s intended to do. At least with my set up ATM. Quickly getting attached to this radio.
Yeah, the weather alert is the first thing I turned off. It got me too, I think full volume is the only option. Will probably help many drivers stay awake. Haha!

Reactions: Buffalo
Has anyone tried another mic on these? Just curious!!!
Yes, I have tried my microphone collection with this radio as I normally do with any radio that I get. For the dynamic mics, be sure to select dynamic in the menu. The Anytone stock electret mic has the best punch, but could use a tad more bass. Very similar to the President radios and their stock mic, the electret mic clarity is hard to beat.

I made some improvements to my President mic and also fixed up a mic to use on my 955. I plan to do something similar with the Anytone.

Yes, I have tried my microphone collection with this radio as I normally do with any radio that I get. For the dynamic mics, be sure to select dynamic in the menu. The Anytone stock electret mic has the best punch, but could use a tad more bass. Very similar to the President radios and their stock mic, the electret mic clarity is hard to beat.

I made some improvements to my President mic and also fixed up a mic to use on my 955. I plan to do something similar with the Anytone.

Interesting!!! A friend I talk to here locally has an Ares ll and wanted to try his d104 4 pin hand mic, but said he can’t find a wiring schematic on line. And doesn’t want to plug it up to see if the cobra wiring is the same. Personally, I really like the stock mic on my ATs. Except for the one that would change channels on its own, always at the worst time, it seemed.

I would think he could figure it out without a schematic but maybe lacks the inclination. Who knows.

Your observation on needing a little more bass coincides with onair feedback I’ve gotten on my ares compared to my Q5N2. Been told my voice sounds higher pitched on the Ares ll.

Last edited:
Interesting!!! A friend I talk to here locally has an Ares ll and wanted to try his d104 4 pin hand mic, but said he can’t find a wiring schematic on line. And doesn’t want to plug it up to see if the cobra wiring is the same. Personally, I really like the stock mic on my ATs. Except for the one that would change channels on its own, always at the worst time, it seemed.

I would think he could figure it out without a schematic but maybe lacks the inclination. Who knows.

Your observation on needing a little more bass coincides with onair feedback I’ve gotten on my ares compared to my Q5N2. Been told my voice sounds higher pitched on the Ares ll.
The Anytone 4 pin is the same as the Cobra wiring. Just be sure to select dynamic in the menu.

Reactions: Pez and Buffalo
The Anytone 4 pin is the same as the Cobra wiring. Just be sure to select dynamic in the menu.
He will be glad to hear that. Not surprised it’s the same. Goes without saying his D104s sound great on his 148 and 138 (IMO) but I might get to hear for myself what the Ares thinks of it.

I've been following this thread to learn about the beast.
So on this radio being the same main board as the 955, q5n2 and others, would it be good to disconnect pin 4 (rx) like in some of the other radios. I don't own the radio but I know is a rule of thumb on the others.

Reactions: Buffalo
I've been following this thread to learn about the beast.
So on this radio being the same main board as the 955, q5n2 and others, would it be good to disconnect pin 4 (rx) like in some of the other radios. I don't own the radio but I know is a rule of thumb on the others.
The only one I have heard that about is the old version of the Anytone 5555. In all of the videos from Scott's, he never mentions that it is a problem on the new radios. I would have to believe that if it was a problem, it would have surfaced by now, but anything is possible.

Ok, let's see what this thing is made of.

IMG_20230618_161319876_HDR.jpg

Stock element mounted directly to the board.

IMG_20230618_161332507_HDR.jpg

Factory sticker over the slots.

IMG_20230618_161427870_HDR.jpg

The pins looked really pokey, so I trimmed them down.

IMG_20230618_161626830.jpg

There we go, nice and neat with a small wire tie holding the trio together.

IMG_20230618_162600843_HDR.jpg

I scratched off the back of the traces and soldered directly to the board. I put a piece of foam rubber between the elements and the board.

IMG_20230618_164017185_HDR.jpg

Sounds great, stock with a little more bass.

Well when I came across a used D104 on Amazon for $23 I thought I’d take the chance and try it on mine. Jury is still out because I want to hear it myself while in my mobile. First extensive local radio check on SSB was positive. Gain up on radio and anywhere from half to full mic gain on mic. Reported as loud and clear. From the friend I had asked the original question for. He still hasn’t tried it on his Ares Il.

Attachments

• IMG_2426.png
    IMG_2426.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 18
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Well when I came across a used D104 on Amazon for $23 I thought I’d take the chance and try it on mine. Jury is still out because I want to hear it myself while in my mobile. First extensive local radio check on SSB was positive. Gain up on radio and anywhere from half to full mic gain on mic. Reported as loud and clear. From the friend I had asked the original question for. He still hasn’t tried it on his Ares Il.
The 104m6 sounds great on the q5n2 and 7900v but if that's a new one be prepared for the scratchy switch that will soon come. You can clean and lube it but it won't last. Best to find a good switch replacement to fix it for good.

The 104m6 sounds great on the q5n2 and 7900v but if that's a new one be prepared for the scratchy switch that will soon come. You can clean and lube it but it won't last. Best to find a good switch replacement to fix it for good.
A work around for the scratchy switch, is to connect the microphone element directly to the audio wire, bypassing the switch. The radios with the VOX feature are wired this way.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.