• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone Ares 2

I just put an RFX95 on my Ares 2, loud and clean.

IMG_20230720_211419313_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe Ranger will jump on the band wagon and have them make a Ranger radio for them? Seems like the obvious next step, unless Ranger has something up there sleeve? Or maybe they will slap a 400w amp on the bottom of this one and call it done.
I have only been saying this for maybe 20 years now. RCI needs to Shrink the RCI2950 down to the size of a Cobra 25-29 size but leave the front design alone. DSP for RX/TX audio, EQ built in RX/TX, user selectable audio band width, compression, selectable notch filter, hi cut, add 6m and give it a patch and software to allow it to be controlled with even more features from laptop interface. Make sure it can do all digital modes when patched into a laptop. Waterfall output etc....Bring it to market for $250 to $300 and run the rift-raf out of the market place.

They would have to get it right though the first time round. No craptastic encoders good tactile feel. No noisy harsh front end. Allow people to do asymmetric modulation, eSSB and hifi audio from software with no modifications needed. Maybe have a break out hub.

It would sell like hot cakes on Sunday! Every amatuer would love to hate it but would own one and at least 1/2 of hardcore CB types would own it as well. Give it a fantastic electret mic wired for powered ICOM mic's for global ease in mic compatibility.

Do not go stupid on power levels like a Stryker 955 so people can use all of their old amps from 1970's on up. Give it a built in antenna tuner that works automatically the mosfet finals you save will be your own! Make sure it folds back power as swr climbs and make sure it can not be damaged from reverse polarity operation!

Do not give it any adjustment pots.

Keep warranty returns down by discouraging golden screwdriver attempts with everything being software driven and fixed value component swaps for adjustment.

This is my quick dirty version I have gone into detail what I would like to see in the past.

Back when I drove a Toyota 4Runner and then latter on a Dodge Dakota Quad Cab I had an amp strapped to the back of my 2950. Today I would never put one on the back of a radio unless I had a huge space under the dash or on the top of the dash. Too darn hard to find a place deep enough to mount a radio that has any extra growths on the back side! This assumes you want to be able to operate it easily while actual driving the vehicle in a safe manner!

I just put an RFX95 on my Ares 2, loud and clean.

View attachment 64896
Does anyone know how to do the NPC mod to this? Maybe it's the same as the 955 v2? I need to be able to adjust the carrier independently of the peak.

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
There's a member @Tim Chambers that was pretty good with doing that mod to the newest radios, maybe he'll chime in.
Yes, Tim is pretty good at figuring this stuff out, and @sp5it is too. Normally I would just look at the prints for a radio that has a mod for it and then look at the prints for the radio I am working on and figure it out that way. I dont think anyone has seen a schematic for any of the Anytones with the short board yet, and I am not that good at figuring out what is what just by looking at the board.

Well I'm generally impatient waited on the q6 pro and am now looking at the Radioddity Qt40. Right now I can get one for 173 shipped so it's hard to pass it up.

So my question is, has anyone ran an amplifier with this radio? If so, does it play well with an amp? I know some have had issues running an amp with the q5n2 (same chassis). I know this is less powa then the q5n2 and would like to run the 503hd with it but that's if it does well with an amp.

Well I'm generally impatient waited on the q6 pro and am now looking at the Radioddity Qt40. Right now I can get one for 173 shipped so it's hard to pass it up.

So my question is, has anyone ran an amplifier with this radio? If so, does it play well with an amp? I know some have had issues running an amp with the q5n2 (same chassis). I know this is less powa then the q5n2 and would like to run the 503hd with it but that's if it does well with an amp.
The only issue I have seen is with the RFX pinching the carrier. It was fine with SSB. I tried my kl203 and it did great on AM and SSB. I am sure the 503 would do good as well. The only thing is, if you lower the carrier, it lowers the peak. Always a 4:1 ratio, peak to carrier. So if your amp needed a 3w carrier input, the peak input would be 12w etc.

Reactions: Eldorado828
Has anyone seen an Ares 2 for sale anywhere lately? Very strange I had one along with a nightmare story with Amazon. Problem with sideband output on the one I received. Sent it back for replacement. The replacement came in a generic brown box with only a mic and power chord that had a broken fuse block. It was obviously garbage someone had returned. After all that I requested a refund which I got. But the product disappeared on Amazon and not just listed as out of stock but page not found. Just did a quick search and did not find one for sale anywhere. QT40 is available on Amazon. Exactly the same radio. I actually really liked the radio. Still don’t know exactly why the first one all of a sudden would only do max 10w on side band while other modes were fine. Didn’t make sense to me. Someone told me there could have been a nut loose behind the microphone.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen an Ares 2 for sale anywhere lately? Very strange I had one along with a nightmare story with Amazon. Problem with sideband output on the one I received. Sent it back for replacement. The replacement came in a generic brown box with only a mic and power chord that had a broken fuse block. It was obviously garbage someone had returned. After all that I requested a refund which I got. But the product disappeared on Amazon and not just listed as out of stock but page not found. Just did a quick search and did not find one for sale anywhere. QT40 is available on Amazon. Exactly the same radio. I actually really liked the radio. Still don’t know exactly why the first one all of a sudden would only do max 10w on side band while other modes were fine. Didn’t make sense to me. Someone told me there could have been a nut loose behind the microphone.
I still see the listing, maybe the seller blocked you somehow? The QT40 appears to be the same thing, the company is in the US and probably has better customer support? Be sure to write a review on Amazon about the dud radio and the junk they sent.

Reactions: Eldorado828
I still see the listing, maybe the seller blocked you somehow? The QT40 appears to be the same thing, the company is in the US and probably has better customer support? Be sure to write a review on Amazon about the dud radio and the junk they sent.
I see it now. Lol they didn’t block me. I had done a few Amazon searches for the ares since it happened and only came up with the QT40. I guess I didn’t scroll far enough. Still hadn’t decided whether to write a review or not!!! I saw your review though!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2677.png
    IMG_2677.png
    308.1 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.