• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone AT-5555N II (version 2). AM modulation swing and or SSB safe power output adjustment

cfsimm2004

Mar 5, 2011
I have seen over the years many radios can be "peaked" and done in a non harmful way that would not be considered "golden screwdriver" method. Most radios it is good to adjust the AM carrier for lower dead key and swing when modulated. Is this adjustable safely? Also are there any adjustments someone has found to peak the output for SSB that would not be harmful to the radio. I am adding a external temperature controlled fan/stand for the radio to always make sure it remains cool. I also want to take some pictures of the inside of "My" radio because it looks different from pictures I have seen posted on the net. I did the easy mod for "CB Band", pull out white jumper wire and move pin jumper from 1-2 to 2-3. Very easy and that's when I noticed mine looks different inside.

I have seen over the years many radios can be "peaked" and done in a non harmful way that would not be considered "golden screwdriver" method. Most radios it is good to adjust the AM carrier for lower dead key and swing when modulated. Is this adjustable safely? Also are there any adjustments someone has found to peak the output for SSB that would not be harmful to the radio. I am adding a external temperature controlled fan/stand for the radio to always make sure it remains cool. I also want to take some pictures of the inside of "My" radio because it looks different from pictures I have seen posted on the net. I did the easy mod for "CB Band", pull out white jumper wire and move pin jumper from 1-2 to 2-3. Very easy and that's when I noticed mine looks different inside.
Hmmmm what's different? Please do share.

I have the 7900v with CRT warranty seals on the side and not brave enough to peel them off yet. The curiosity kills me.

The board in these new versions are similar to the V2 Stryker 955. They are adjusted through a menu. No internal adjustment points. I would be real careful about messing with this unless you have the knowledge and the equipment.

JD
as i posted a bit back and captain killowatt agreed,if ya gonna screw with menu settings first and i MEAN FIRST THING COPY EVERY VALUE AND ITS MEANING .if you screw up dont ask us but reset the values because NO 2 RADIOS USE SAME VALUES even 1 build number apart. extra work but easy to do from the getgo

The board in these new versions are similar to the V2 Stryker 955. They are adjusted through a menu. No internal adjustment points. I would be real careful about messing with this unless you have the knowledge and the equipment.

JD
Also I think it is crazy that the manual does not give any detail on the menu items and their adjustments or operation. MENU #17 is RX noise reduction and MENU#18 is TX noise reductions. There are a few more, #16 I think is a type of microphone noise gate. Well I use the MENU# 17 and it works great for reducing background noise. Any information some can share would be helpful to a lot of us.

Reactions: Rwb

Many answers can be found here.

Reactions: broker67 and Rwb
Just an update on the 7900V turbo. Finally got around to putting it on the air today. One thing to say is the radio is leaps and bounds ahead of the 5555N(first gen) and that radio is alreadya good one too. Big audio, outstanding receiver and loaded out with tons of features. The noise reduction is trippy but really enhances ssb. It'll take some getting used to that part of it. Qixiang hit a home run with this dude! Now I'll run it next to the beloved quad 6 to try and determine if 6666 gets dethroned!

First transmission on ssb yielded 624 Chicago with a big o'l qso. Very pleased!

Just an update. Lots of flowers to the 7900v or 5555N2 as this has turned out to be a phenomenal radio.

Trying different mics since owning the one that has paired really well with this rig is the Astatic D104M6 hand mic. Lots of compliments on audio and have even swapped mics to get feedback and all have confirm the Astatic to sound great. Now this is a slightly modified mic only in that I took a new mic and swapped in a new old stock board. I've never personally liked the 104m6 but with this particular radio it really shines. Just though I'd report since there are a few owners of this radio.

Glad to have one of these and looking forward to really putting this dude to use throughout this solar cycle.

Just an update. Lots of flowers to the 7900v or 5555N2 as this has turned out to be a phenomenal radio.

Trying different mics since owning the one that has paired really well with this rig is the Astatic D104M6 hand mic. Lots of compliments on audio and have even swapped mics to get feedback and all have confirm the Astatic to sound great. Now this is a slightly modified mic only in that I took a new mic and swapped in a new old stock board. I've never personally liked the 104m6 but with this particular radio it really shines. Just though I'd report since there are a few owners of this radio.

Glad to have one of these and looking forward to really putting this dude to use throughout this solar cycle.
Thanks for the update, Eldorado828
I've been on lsb the past few days, using only the Q5Nii and I've been getting the same results. This is definitely a nice surprise! It's been awesome on local talk and this is the first chance I've had to stretch It's legs on sideband. So yeah, I'm a happy customer!!

Great stuff. I'm loving my SS7900V, and I have a new AT5555Nii (update with 5kHz steps) arriving tomorrow. These rigs are amazing! I think I'm addicted hihi

I just happen to have a D104M6B here - I will give it a shot on mine!
Are you set to Electret or Dynamic in the radio menu? And, what Mic Gain setting are you at in the radio menu, and what position on the D104 mic gain knob?

Attachments

• 20220927_214422.jpg
    20220927_214422.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Great stuff. I'm loving my SS7900V, and I have a new AT5555Nii (update with 5kHz steps) arriving tomorrow. These rigs are amazing! I think I'm addicted hihi

I just happen to have a D104M6B here - I will give it a shot on mine!
Are you set to Electret or Dynamic in the radio menu? And, what Mic Gain setting are you at in the radio menu, and what position on the D104 mic gain knob?
Set to dynamic, mic gain all the way up with mic at about 7. It sounds really good imo.

I had high hopes for the sl41 but it sounded really nasally on the receive radio. Still not sure what to think of the Sl41 mic.

I may try the 575m6 some more, maybe I didn't take enough time to shine.

There's a whole thread on this radio and it's variants. Sure seems redundant to start a whole new thread when a little effort in using the site search will yield several answers.
Maybe someone would just appreciate you just posting the answer instead of boning about a long lost thread and good luck sorting thru all the BS to find it again.

Reactions: HANK69 and Rwb
Maybe someone would just appreciate you just posting the answer instead of boning about a long lost thread and good luck sorting thru all the BS to find it again.
yaay i agree

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?