• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone at-5555n II (version 2)

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you.
I read your vox question up above and I'd never messed with it so had to go look for myself. I didn't mess with it too long but I couldn't get mine to key up with my voice. I'll dig out the stock mic and see if that makes a difference, but what will really answer us both is looking at the book. We're not doing something right. I must confess, I spent little time reading the manual so will definitely do that now.

What is it with me not reading a manual.....
Thanks for the welcome, the VOX post wasn’t me though (-;)

Maybe just me, but it looks like the 5555 is not available on Amazon at the moment. Guess they are sold out again.

I did check out the manual in regards to vox operation but it doesn't say how to use vox, it does say what the two menu numbers associated to vox operation do. Menus 16 and 17. I've owned many rigs with vox, this is not my first vox rodeo. I've never had issues using vox on any other radio before. Not sure whats going on with the Q5n2's vox, but so far it's beat me on how it works. Posting here was my last resort.
999,BC,Canada

It keys with no voice. I tried adjusting both menu settings, but nothing seems to work
Your audio is switched in the MIC. Like Shadetree said, it has to bypass the switch for VOX to work regardless of the radio settings. The Lincoln II+ stock mic is wired correctly for VOX. Chances are the Q5 NII stock mic isn't. My Q6 and 9900 stock mics are not.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Your audio is switched in the MIC. Like Shadetree said, it has to bypass the switch for VOX to work regardless of the radio settings. The Lincoln II+ stock mic is wired correctly for VOX. Chances are the Q5 NII stock mic isn't. My Q6 and 9900 stock mics are not.
Read above

What seems strange is why the Squelch has anything to do with VOX. To me, the two aren't related.
Just a guess, they don't want the open channel static to trip the VOX. Which would be more of an FM problem than anything else.

It would make the radio into a kind of oscillator, static comes in on the speaker, exceeds the VOX threshold level for mic input, keys the radio. Radio keys, static from speaker stops, dropping mic audio below the VOX threshold, radio unkeys. Cycle repeats.

I don't have one so I am talking out of my a$$. Steve mentioned that menu items 16 and 17 were VOX related. Apparently 16 enables/disables it and - just a guess - 17 sets the threshold? maybe a delay setting? If it is a threshold setting, turn up the threshold.

The part I don't understand is if you are smart enough to use VOX properly, then you should be smart enough to know how to use the squelch. IMHO, you shouldn't be "forced" to use it for VOX to work.

Reactions: Pez
The part I don't understand is if you are smart enough to use VOX properly, then you should be smart enough to know how to use the squelch. IMHO, you shouldn't be "forced" to use it for VOX to work.
I agree - for example, if using headphones / headset - this is not an issue. I will talk to Qixiang about this. You never know what might happen in a future firmware release. :)

(This would also allow for digital modes to be used, with VOX as the PTT trigger)

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
FYI for the posters on this thread and especially for Pez.

This is part of a conversation I had with Scott of Scott's Radios regarding the Q5 NII. I was asking him about the NB on SSB behavior that 2 of our posters here had. Scott's replies are in Italics.

"My only concern is that 2 of our forum members, one has a 5555 NII v1 radio and the other a SS7900V, noticed an issue with the NB on SSB. When it is turned on, it causes "an adjacent channel/frequency rejection" issue.

I have not noticed this with the NB function on. I have noticed some slight noise when the RX NR is set to level 5. This is also common on other HF style radios that are using DSP Noise Reduction. (When turned up towards the max setting.) I'm very happy with the radio and find it's one of the best so far of 2022.

I was curious to know if you had run across this in v1 radios as well? Even more curious if the v2 radios have this problem or were the 2 forum members just unlucky with their radios?

Whether it's the version 1 5555nii or version 2 5555nii, I find the NB function to not cause any interference on SSB. The NR function does bring in some slight noise on both version when turned to the max setting of 5. I don't run at that level and have never let it ruin the experience when using the radio.

P.S. As a President Electronics dealer maybe you can pass a request back to them. I know ASC is a "selling point" for their radios but maybe in v4 or a firmware update for v3, they can add the ability to "enable/disable" it in a menu, like they do for VOX (another of their selling points). A lot of folks I know really like the latest Lincoln but dislike the ASC "feature".

Unfortunately, companies like President Electronics seem to not take into consideration any input or advice I would have for them. From day 1, I have asked for something else from President that has SSB.
They are slightly out of touch with what the consumer (Radios operators like you and me) want. Pretty much anything President in Europe designs, we will end up seeing here in the USA (stripped down) with an FCC ID.
For the ASC feature. I never use it. I find using the normal squelch is much better. Furthermore, I really never use the squelch on any radio. Likewise, I like hearing the static. Pleasant sound to my ears."

FWIW

FYI for the posters on this thread and especially for Pez.

This is part of a conversation I had with Scott of Scott's Radios regarding the Q5 NII. I was asking him about the NB on SSB behavior that 2 of our posters here had. Scott's replies are in Italics.

"My only concern is that 2 of our forum members, one has a 5555 NII v1 radio and the other a SS7900V, noticed an issue with the NB on SSB. When it is turned on, it causes "an adjacent channel/frequency rejection" issue.

I have not noticed this with the NB function on. I have noticed some slight noise when the RX NR is set to level 5. This is also common on other HF style radios that are using DSP Noise Reduction. (When turned up towards the max setting.) I'm very happy with the radio and find it's one of the best so far of 2022.

I was curious to know if you had run across this in v1 radios as well? Even more curious if the v2 radios have this problem or were the 2 forum members just unlucky with their radios?

Whether it's the version 1 5555nii or version 2 5555nii, I find the NB function to not cause any interference on SSB. The NR function does bring in some slight noise on both version when turned to the max setting of 5. I don't run at that level and have never let it ruin the experience when using the radio.

P.S. As a President Electronics dealer maybe you can pass a request back to them. I know ASC is a "selling point" for their radios but maybe in v4 or a firmware update for v3, they can add the ability to "enable/disable" it in a menu, like they do for VOX (another of their selling points). A lot of folks I know really like the latest Lincoln but dislike the ASC "feature".

Unfortunately, companies like President Electronics seem to not take into consideration any input or advice I would have for them. From day 1, I have asked for something else from President that has SSB.
They are slightly out of touch with what the consumer (Radios operators like you and me) want. Pretty much anything President in Europe designs, we will end up seeing here in the USA (stripped down) with an FCC ID.
For the ASC feature. I never use it. I find using the normal squelch is much better. Furthermore, I really never use the squelch on any radio. Likewise, I like hearing the static. Pleasant sound to my ears."

FWIW

Thanks Dr_DX.

I can guarantee you that you that the NB performance "issue" (which is not really an "issue"!) exists on every single AT-5555Nii (NiiV1 and NiiV2) / SS 7900V Turbo / Stryker 955 V2. It's in the firmware, which is common to all of these radios and controls how the NB works.

Depending on the type of noise the radio is trying to blank, and how wide (how much bandwidth) that noise occupies, and how much activity there is (or isn't) on adjacent frequencies, will determine if you hear the symptoms that have been discussed, or not at all. (Some people will notice it sometimes - others never will!)

FYI, There is no difference to the NB performance in firmware between the AT-5555Nii versions. (Nii V1 and Nii V2). The fundamental differences between these NiiV1 and NiiV2 radios is only firmware - and you can update them as you wish. No change to NB.

The AT-5555N (original / old version) I don't have here to test, but if it has any NB issues they will be a totally different animal, because the PCB and firmware is all 100% new in the Nii. It's a different radio.

From my previous posts on this:

The NB "issue" isn't actually an issue. (Note, we are talking about the NB NOISE BLANKER here, not the NR NOISE REDUCTION which is a totally different setting on the AT5555N2). In general, ALL NB noise blankers cause some artefacts/distortion on strong RX signals. The level varies depending on how the NB has been implemented, and how well it actually works!
In the case of the AT5555N2, the NB works extremely well at supressing pulse noise, just like it is designed to do. Probably one of the best in any recent radio I have used.

HOWEVER: because the 5555N2 NB seems to work at the IF level, across the entire IF spectrum, the down side is that large signals on adjacent frequencies can sometimes be heard, bleeding over, at a low levels, when the NB is turned ON. This is especially the case when the NB is ON unnecessarily, when the radio has no actual pulse noise to work against, as it will then start attacking voice signals, because that's all it can really do!

The moral of the story is to use NB ONLY when it's needed, and don't use it when it's not.

Cheers,
Pez

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.