• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

APRS, SSB or repeater or both

KD8LWX

Aug 17, 2009
Is APRS using SSB, repeaters, or both?

I assume both.
I would think it would need repeaters to connect to the internet and be put into the DB.
I would think my other contacts would be SSB (HAM to HAM).
Right?

Or to put it a different way.
If I am out of repeater range, I will not be viewable on APRS.fi, but a friend with an APRS setup in SSB range would be able to locate me.
Right?

P to R to P

Goes through a data repeater also known as digipeater. May use a network of connections called Nodes.

AS I understand it, the packets could travel either/or. APRS transmitters should create an ad hoc network with whatever stations are monitoring it. It's the internet gateway that lets the packets make their way to the various web sites though. So, I would say the answer is both.

APRS is a form of packet. It can be done using SSB, FM, or even AM mode. It can be done on any band where you can legally use packet.
Depending on the band, repeater usage is common (digipeaters) and necessary. One of the parameters to set up APRS is the number of times your signal can be repeated, and that can affect how far you will be 'seen'.
There are 'nodes' or receiving stations that put what they 'see' on the internet. If you are near enough to one of those nodes, or if your signal is repeated to one of those nodes, you get included on that internet thingy. Not close to one or repeater through one? Sorry Charlie, you ain't included.
There are two ways to be seen on APRS. One is by direct reception through a radio. The other is by connecting to the internet, and not really even needing a radio at all. What's the biggest difference? Over the air, using a radio, is closer to real time than just by doing things over the internet. Naturally there is always some 'lag' because of the time required for processing a signal (milliseconds). The internet thingy is also 'lagging' because of traffic volume, connection speed, etc, which can amount to a matter of hours (if you're lucky, days if you're not, not an exaggeration).
There are quite q few possible uses for APRS, you are limited only by your imagination and abilities.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.