• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Are the upper bands worth looking at?

Tallman

KW4YJ Honorary Member Silent Key
May 1, 2013
Louisville, KY
I was advising a future Amateur about getting their general because of all of the other bands you get to use and I realized that I have not even listened to 1.25, 33cm, or 23cm. Is there anything up there?
Would it be worth while to get radio that could access these bands?

By a SDRplay and hook it up to even a mobile 2m/440 antenna and you can see and hear all the way up to 2 GHz when interfaced to your pc.

SDRplay sells for around $120

It also makes a nice panadapter for the rest of your radios since you'll find the upper bands uninstersting except the police band.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Me and a couple friends have tried to keep 220mhz (simplex & repeaters) alive in our area. We have a few repeaters but they are really quiet. As for 33cm, a club 25 mi south of me just put up a machine and they are trying to drum up activity. I haven't jumped on board that yet.... As for 23cm ?? Couple guys around here do ssb on contest weekends but that's it. No 1.2 ghz repeaters in my (south central IL) area to my knowledge..

Thanks guys for all of the information. That's what I'm looking for.
The SDRplay sounds interesting. I think I'll hunt one up.

Thanks guys for all of the information. That's what I'm looking for.
The SDRplay sounds interesting. I think I'll hunt one up.
Consider the SDRPlay RSP2 model for about $160

This one has more antenna options for 2 radio/antenna inputs and a Hi-Z wire antenna via 3 antenna ports. Like their other models, this too receives at 1 Khz all the way up to 2 GHz.

I have my TS-590 IF out signal going into antenna port 1 for low band up to to HF and I use an ELAD splitter box for my Icom-7000 to carry receive signals from my 2m/440 1/2 wave vertical going into the SDRPlay antenna port 2. I have no IF out on my Icom.

I can switch radios in the SDR software to have a full pan adapter monitoring for HF with my Kenwood and VHF/UHF and beyond with my Icom. If you have modern radios with CAT control or equivalent, them you have mouse click capability on the waterfall so your radio and SDR will follow each other.

Of course you can always just simply plug an antenna into it and just listen and see it all on the waterfall with a USB cable on your P/C without using your radios.

SDRUno and SDR console are the better software to run and they are both free!

Last edited:
I am considering purchasing a transceiver instead of just a receiver. Probably cost more than I would want spend though. The wife is retiring after 31 years of Gov't service amd money might be tight for a while.

I think the
I am considering purchasing a transceiver instead of just a receiver. Probably cost more than I would want spend though. The wife is retiring after 31 years of Gov't service amd money might be tight for a while.
I think Icom has a model or two that do 1.2 ghz as an option. Seems like the Kenwood TS-2000 did, too. You.might find one o the used market?

Love my RSP1, btw!
Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.