• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Astatic D-104 lollipop mic questions

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
Keep wanting a classic D-104 lollipop mic with a Tug-9 base with second switch for true desktop type use vs squeeze activation.

Was wondering the differences or compatibility with the old crystal Dynamic style element or newer Electret element when used on 2 different type rigs and if I would want powered or non powered?

First rig is a Ranger 296DX (aka 148) with 4 pin
Second rig would be a Galaxy 86v with 4 pin

I'm thinking non-powered would work with both if needed as they both have mic gain and may squeal if I go with powered version.

I run a basic Astatic 636L at moment which is basic dynamic and told I sound good on air and it sounds more like me with my voice tone and peaks.

Can anyone gently explain the differences.

Will a powered one with battery just work without a battery as well??

Reactions: 802GMG

From my understanding, the powered mics were originally intended for impedance matching. The crystal element has a high impedance and worked well with the tube rigs. Unfortunately the impedance required by transistorized radios is a low impedance and would cause the crystal element to sound tinny and shrill. The impedance matching offered by the powered mics can restore the fullness to the sound and help it sound more natural. The powered mic can be set to the perfect level needed as it can be turned down to zero output at the bottom of the adjustment. Loose Cannon does a FET mod to the amplified mics that reportedly makes them sound even better with a fuller range of sound.

The amplified version will not work without the batt. You would have to bypass the amp board. Not worth doing unless you have an old tube rig to use it with.

Just remember how old these re elements are. It's getting really hard to find a good one. The worse they are the more tinny and scratchy they sound. IMO they aren't worth more than 30 to 40 bucks for a really nice looking one. The local music store sells good mics at realistic prices.

Reactions: 357magnum
I use one on a Galaxy 88HL and a Galaxy 939, both have mic gain knobs. Just set the mic gain around the 3/4 point, turn the D104 gain up just before it squeals. Then just use your mic gain on the radio to control it from there.

FYI, I just used Deoxit on the Reed switches in mine, and that improved them a lot. Spray them, then fold a 1" wide strip of notebook paper in half and drag it across the contacts while holding them closed. Wipes the dirt right off. No more scritchy scratch sounds as you talk.

CB , As been said on here before , not all mic's sound " Great " on all radios . Sometimes the cheapest mic might work for you ? I use an Astatic 636 on my old Cobra 140 GTL mobile , it works but doesn't sound as good as my old Turner + 2 ? I had the conversion done to my Astatic Silver Eagle , it took all the " Tinnynest " out & have gotten nothing but compliments on my audio since , just had it done 2 weeks ago .:)

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
CB , As been said on here before , not all mic's sound " Great " on all radios . Sometimes the cheapest mic might work for you ? I use an Astatic 636 on my old Cobra 140 GTL mobile , it works but doesn't sound as good as my old Turner + 2 ? I had the conversion done to my Astatic Silver Eagle , it took all the " Tinnynest " out & have gotten nothing but compliments on my audio since , just had it done 2 weeks ago .:)

who did you have do the conversion??

I have my eye on one of the powered ones and was thinking running with my Ranger 296 which has Mic gain or the Galaxy 86v I just got. Which as has Mic gain.

CB , I had a local on Ch 21 do mine . Problem is I was told I can't take the head off any longer . IDK if that's the way all the conversions work ?o_O

CB, I'm using a D104/MC320 with the "poor mans EQ" circuit and I'm quite pleased with it. It does take a 9 volt battery.

Reactions: 357magnum

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.