• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

avanti av-190 saturn

EBAY is selling a Saturn AV 190 if anyone is intrusted in buying one!
I just went to look again, thought I should grab it, POOF! Gone! Vanished into thin air, like it never happened... not even in completed listings.
I looked at it the day you posted, should have grabbed it then.
One reason I'm using ebay less & less is weird crap like this. It was there, now not even showing in completed or sold listings?
Weird.

I just went to look again, thought I should grab it, POOF! Gone! Vanished into thin air, like it never happened... not even in completed listings.
I looked at it the day you posted, should have grabbed it then.
One reason I'm using ebay less & less is weird crap like this. It was there, now not even showing in completed or sold listings?
Weird.
Sorry to here that ! If I see it again I'll PM you. Hopefully you get it next time. I'm always browsing EBay. I just moved to a new home and looking to set up mine. I have to change the hardware to stainless steel. I saw in one of the post here that there's a modification for the Saturn but the person never responded back to me. I forgot the name of the person. He was a big collector of Avanti.

Last edited:
It may be the same MC that use to hang out here...fussin' and discussin' antennas.

I think he lives out near the Mojave Desert. He also use to be part of the old Sigma 4 discussions...from a time long gone by and put to bed by a good article from Henry HPSD noted below.

http://cb-antennas.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Sigma-IV-1.01-Jan-2015.pdf
Mr Marconi I think your right. I have to look back at the posts again , I think his name was bob85 from England had bought that anttena new and MC said there's a mod for the Saturn. I sould PM him and find out. I'm still trying to figure out how to use this forum since the format changed. Thanks for the info for the vector. I have one that I bought 28 years ago. One of the legs on the cone radiator broke. It's a 7/8ths wave Anttena.I have to find a website that would sell the metric aluminum tubing to replace.

Sandman I understand Bob85 has a Saturn, but I don't think he has ever reported building and testing the antenna. I don't even think the idea of it being effectively horizontally polarized has been real world tested and reported

IMO this antenna seems to be an enigma in the anecdotal history of CB antennas.

MC always seemed to have a news wrinkle on CB antenna of days gone by and how to make them work better than the original design permitted. The last word I had from MC was on Mauldroppers.

Last edited:
still have the saturn,
its not an antenna that you can assemble and errect when you have a spare couple of hours,
its a strange design, 3 full wave loops folded & grounded at both ends & grounded half way along the 1/2wave perimeter wires by the spreader arms,

looks like its effectively 3 bent 1/2waves with a feed system similar to a j-pole at each end of the 1/2waves

i imagine all the measurements have to be close in the three horizontal sections for it to work as intended.

Well Bob I hope I find you doing well. Are you still getting plenty of good old Apple Pie you like so well.(y)

Bob, I figure building the Saturn don't look to happen real slow either, in fact I don't think it has ever happened either way. :LOL::LOL: I figure if anybody could build a Saturn working like it should...and then tell us all how it worked...it would be you though.

Whatever happened to the idea of you and Henry building a Big Mack together with a more sturdy design to holdup in the conditions over there...and still produce a real collinear vertical with real gain low to the horizon?(y)

Last edited:
I don't have much interest in putting the saturn up eddie, it won't equal the modified sigma4 as a vertical its just a 5/8wave with more groundplane than other 5/8,

i would have to cut down half of two apple trees to make space for the saturns 9 radials with perimeter wires, = ugly trees and less apple & blackberry pie,

im moving location soon, i will have plenty of space & a crank up tower but no time for tower errecting or building antennas, don't know what i will put up,

Henry built a co-linear cb antenna, picture is on his website, we have had several discussions about the Highlander co-linear,
he has not published any details afaik, you can see its not a BIG-MAC crazy BIG HAIR or DUORO clone, its unique amond CB antennas,

we never talked about the wind survival of his prototype,
just about any antenna can be built to handle bad weather if cost and weight are not important.

I don't have much interest in putting the saturn up eddie, it won't equal the modified sigma4 as a vertical its just a 5/8wave with more groundplane than other 5/8,

i would have to cut down half of two apple trees to make space for the saturns 9 radials with perimeter wires, = ugly trees and less apple & blackberry pie,

im moving location soon, i will have plenty of space & a crank up tower but no time for tower errecting or building antennas, don't know what i will put up,

Henry built a co-linear cb antenna, picture is on his website, we have had several discussions about the Highlander co-linear,
he has not published any details afaik, you can see its not a BIG-MAC crazy BIG HAIR or DUORO clone, its unique amond CB antennas,

we never talked about the wind survival of his prototype,
just about any antenna can be built to handle bad weather if cost and weight are not important.
Good day to you bob 85 ! I know the sigma 4 is a better Anttena since it's a 3/4 wave. I know that the Saturn is a 5/8 wave just like the sigma 2. It mite be overkill but at the time when it was in production Avanti claim it a unibeam for the peak sunspot cycle . Do u think it was overkill and nobody bought the Anttena back in the day? I've been looking for a sigma 4 for many years to buy but haven't seen it for sale , new or used. Bob did you talk to MC about modding the anttena?

sanman,
I think the saturn most likely did not sell well because of the price & complexity,

its made from .058" wall 6061-t6 drawn tube and there's lots of it plus balun rods spacer clamps camlocks wires etc, imho too complex & heavy for what it claims to do,

at 3x the cost of a sigma4 and 5-30 x the cost of popular cb antennas of the era its no surprise to me that they are rare,

common was a £7- £10 1/2wave,
sigma4 cost £74 & far from a common antenna,
BIG-MAC cost around £110, 1/2 the cost of a saturn, very rare,

I only ever spoke to one other station using a BIG-MAC, never anybody using a saturn or anybody local that knows what a saturn is,

I have not spoken to MC about improving the saturn.

sanman,
I think the saturn most likely did not sell well because of the price & complexity,

its made from .058" wall 6061-t6 drawn tube and there's lots of it plus balun rods spacer clamps camlocks wires etc, imho too complex & heavy for what it claims to do,

at 3x the cost of a sigma4 and 5-30 x the cost of popular cb antennas of the era its no surprise to me that they are rare,

common was a £7- £10 1/2wave,
sigma4 cost £74 & far from a common antenna,
BIG-MAC cost around £110, 1/2 the cost of a saturn, very rare,

I only ever spoke to one other station using a BIG-MAC, never anybody using a saturn or anybody local that knows what a saturn is,

I have not spoken to MC about improving the saturn.
Bob thanks for replying back with the info. It is a challenging anttena. Eventually I mite put it up , or put up the law 150 salute. I've been looking for a long time for a original sigma 4 but no luck. The Larry 150 has a broken radiator on the cone assembly. I have high winds , hopefully it will handle it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.