• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bad,fowl, vulgar Language on the CB

okiebob

Dec 24, 2010
San Diego
I guess I'm just getting old and square as we use to say when we were young.
But I have been surprised since I've returned to CB at how bad the language has got on the old CB.
Back when I was 21 years old and on the CB (1971)
we never used a cuss word on the radio that was a big No No ( Uncle Charlie will get you). I guess the rule was not to use any language you wouldn't use in front of your mother.
I was even surprised to hear a few guys on Ham with real gutter mouths.
Well I haven't let it drag me down to there level, I have managed to keep my standard a little higher.
But it does make me wonder if the theory of the Dumbing down of American youth is true, since they seem to have so few word to express themselves with.

Reactions: 2 people

I guess I don't comprehend the concept of "fowl language". It's just words, what makes them so bad other than you've been taught not to use them?

It seems more like a cult like belief that "we can't use those words, bad people use those words". Now if you walked up to someone and punched them in the face then that is a concrete action and certainly wouldn't be acceptable. Words are just words.

Try hanging out in public locations and just give a listen, the world is a changing so teach your own and pity the rest.

Foul language is the opinions of others and as we know everyone has one and no one cares about it sad to say.

I guess I'm just getting old and square as we use to say when we were young.
But I have been surprised since I've returned to CB at how bad the language has got on the old CB.
Back when I was 21 years old and on the CB (1971)
we never used a cuss word on the radio that was a big No No ( Uncle Charlie will get you). I guess the rule was not to use any language you wouldn't use in front of your mother.
I was even surprised to hear a few guys on Ham with real gutter mouths.
Well I haven't let it drag me down to there level, I have managed to keep my standard a little higher.
But it does make me wonder if the theory of the Dumbing down of American youth is true, since they seem to have so few word to express themselves with.

Look at all the garbage on TV. FCC does not imply the laws anymore on anything except maybe 10 meter, 6 meter. Oh well the Society of the everyday people has drastically changed.

Don't give up on CB just yet. That behavior is isolated to certain individual or maybe certain groups on just some channels. Were you listening to truckers on channel 19 or where. If you're seeking to use CB from your home then spin the dial. You'll find some "good regular" people talking somewhere. Join their group. If it was on the trucker channel in your area....yeah that does tend to be the wild wild west in most places....so stay off 19 and try the other channels. Try the sidebands on 37,38,39. You should hear better conversations there.

Good luck and don't give up
interview.gif

If you have SSB on your radio, try going SSB, usually there is a difference in the "crowd" on SSB as to AM.

Just my opinon...:whistle:

T23

Reactions: 1 person
A lot has changed indeed. Not for the better either. They are not "just words". Yes, the general population uses these 4 letter words a lot. But do we have to then accept that as being just fine. In the past a man would not use the "F" word around any females. Now you hear teenage girls using it a lot.

I to remember back in the late 60's and early 70's when you didn't swear at all on CB. Even the truckers didn't do it. In my area, back then, if someone tried talking without using their call letters they would be talking to them selves. Then the CB craze hit and it was all down hill from there. Yesterday on 38LSB there was a guy farting and burping. No talking just making noise. I also hear those dreaded 4 letter words on 38LSB. I refuse to talk to those people. Just my little thing.

Ham bands? I have heard the same thing there. Two meters was one that really had a bad case of 4 letter word usage. The way I look at the Ham bands is why would I want to be a Ham operator when it "CAN" be as bad as CB! BTW, this was back in the 80's and I was using a boat anchor called Hammerlund.

Terry

A lot has changed indeed. Not for the better either. They are not "just words".

Ok and how exactly are they not "just words"?

No different than someone sticking their middle finger up at you, it's all in how you wish to interpret what they are saying/doing.

What do you mean interpret!? If someone says " I want a number five with everything", How would you "interpret" that!? Thats what language is for so other persons have a common understanding and meaning for words and actions.

T23

I guess I don't comprehend the concept of "fowl language". It's just words, what makes them so bad other than you've been taught not to use them?

It seems more like a cult like belief that "we can't use those words, bad people use those words". Now if you walked up to someone and punched them in the face then that is a concrete action and certainly wouldn't be acceptable. Words are just words.
couldn't agree more.

What do you mean interpret!? If someone says " I want a number five with everything", How would you "interpret" that!? Thats what language is for so other persons have a common understanding and meaning for words and actions.

T23

Does a "number five with everything" at the Burger Hut get you the same thing that it does at your local Chinese food place?

No, but I don't know anyone who would expect to find a peice of burnt soy and foodstuffs compressed into a pattie on a bun at a Chinese food establishment...:w00t:

T23

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.