• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Baofeng UV-5r VHF/UHF HT Review

I had absolutely no issues with the Wouxun software. Programming was flawless and without issue for me.

I think we'll see an improvement fairly soon with the Baofeng software. I also expect to see CHIRP software coming as well.

http://chirp.danplanet.com/issues/84

http://www.brickolore.com/2012/04/baofeng-uv-5r-chirp-support.html?m=1

www.uv-5r.com/

Last edited:
Finally got mine

My UV-5R showed up on Saturday the 7th, after some delay due to what sounds like supply issues. Nice little radio--much sturdier than I expected. Programming manually was a little odd, but I got it worked out. I haven't tried the programming software yet (the disc that came with the radio was blank, but I can download it). Receive seems to match my VX-3R pretty well, which is saying something (my VX-3 is a better receiver than my VX-8). I haven't made any contacts yet... plan to try that later tonight if I have time.

Hi
I also recived the Baofeng radio last week. The build quality is good, also the battery life. I had some problems to programm it with my computer but thanks to this forum I solved it. But i Have another problem. I have stored one repeater freq. It has one freq. for recive and another to transmit. I have set correct sub tones and freq. Now the problem: how can i change offset from 00.000 to 00.600 (menu 26) i have tried everything with no sucess. Have anybody an idea how to solve this.

how can i change offset from 00.000 to 00.600 (menu 26) i have tried everything with no sucess. Have anybody an idea how to solve this.

You cannot change the offset on a frequency that is already programmed (in 'channel mode'). You should have programmed the offset when you programmed it.

So; hook up you radio back to the computer, and then start the radio's software program. Have it read the radio; then edit that readout. Once you have put in the correct TX freq in; then write that back to the radio.
Done.

Made several programming mistakes the first time too.
Fixed it all in the edit!

Last edited:
I wonder how hard it is to prgm 450 & 435 into those radios ?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

HI!
Thanks for fast reply. In the software that is on CD comming with the radio(Baofeng software) there is no settings for offset freq for channel mode. Can I use some other programm

You cannot change the offset on a frequency that is already programmed (in 'channel mode'). You should have programmed the offset when you programmed it.

So; hook up you radio back to the computer, and then start the radio's software program. Have it read the radio; then edit that readout. Once you have put in the correct TX freq in; then write that back to the radio.
Done.

Made several programming mistakes the first time too.
Fixed it all in the edit!

HI!
Thanks for fast reply. In the software that is on CD comming with the radio(Baofeng software) there is no settings for offset freq for channel mode.

Sure there are. There is a column in the software for both the RX frequency and another for TX frequency. What else do you need for offset? That is all you need to have.

First, thanks for the forum!

I can confirm that the Kenwood PG-4P cable works and yes, I did have to shove it in pretty hard to get it to work.

And for inquiring minds here is a pic of of the innards. I have a few more closer, higher rez views if anyone is interested.
tiphat.gif

Attachments

• DSCN2543 (Custom) (2).JPG
    DSCN2543 (Custom) (2).JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 339
First, thanks for the forum!

I can confirm that the Kenwood PG-4P cable works and yes, I did have to shove it in pretty hard to get it to work.

And for inquiring minds here is a pic of of the innards. I have a few more closer, higher rez views if anyone is interested.
tiphat.gif

Hi kazak. What are the two wires on top right corner soldered to the board ?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

I agree that the UV-5R is simple to get in to, but there is a little problem when you put it back together again.
The rubber-buttons (call/ptt/mon) easily fall out of place when you put the circuitboard back in the casing.
A tip is to take a piece of glossy paper (printer photopaper for example) and place it between the buttons and circuitboard when assembling the radio.
After the board is in it´s place, carfully remove the paper, and the buttons stay seated correctly.

PS. Sorry for my bad english, but I´ll hope you all understand what I mean. :)

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.