• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BBI amps, anyone heard of them?

Another Class C Cb competition amp with no bias or filtering.

BBI 370 Peak
BBI 105 AVG

X force 390 Peak
X force 120 AVG

X force is making more power.

Without a current meter you can not tell how many amps they are drawing, but it looks from the vid that the BBI Amp is pulling the supply down more than the X force, drawing more current?

What is that extra current doing?

Not seeing it on the wattmeter.

Making more heat?

Bulldog meter.
Made by Carl, N9EFJ
Not a true peak reading wattmeter, uses a passive capacitor added to the meter to provide a peak reading.
Harmonics?
How is he telling it is making harmonics, I did not see a spectrum analyzer anywhere on that test bench to tell anyone that either of the amps are spewing anything.
Not even a scope.
What is the price difference?
Lots of questions that need answered.
I will say that the example shown has nice soldering on the board.

You decide.

Jeff

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks for your reply I had a lot of the same thoughts, and I would have liked to see more test equipment also. I couldn't find a website, thought maybe someone here would know something about them. Mostly I thought it was interesting. The way he has the fans set up and the compact size would be nice. Other than that I have no opinion on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 146
I have not tried his own design amps but do have a Messenger 500 that he added 4 more transistors to. It does 850 am and 1000 sideband and gets my numbers called back quite often. I know of a few people that run his design and are happy. He also fixes lots of transistor and tube amps for lot's of people.

I have not tried his own design amps but do have a Messenger 500 that he added 4 more transistors to. It does 850 am and 1000 sideband and gets my numbers called back quite often. I know of a few people that run his design and are happy. He also fixes lots of transistor and tube amps for lot's of people.

Will stick with my good old fl2100b and al82

Reactions: TonyV225
You can tell by the way it was carefully placed a quarter inch from falling off the shelf to make it in the picture that it's probably a dud. The 8877 can easily be converted into a paperweight. Feed the cathode without raising the filament above RF ground or over dissipate the grid and say bye bye. It's got plenty of gain to destroy itself if misused or if Eimac is having a bad decade like the 1980's when they sold thousands of defective 8877 tubes.

I would like to see a DC current meter, voltage meter and power meter all in one shot. That will be the true test of linearity and performance. A Spectrum analyzer shot out to the 5th would be nice as well.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated