• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BBI amps, anyone heard of them?

thanks for info on W8JI selling 572b friend has old dentron needs tubes
tom is just next state over so wont take long for shipping.

***ATTENTION***
Slight Hijack in progress. This repeater is local to me (40-50 miles) and has very good coverage. The "Trustee" is on it most every day. Nice Guy too!!

Barnesville, GA

W8JI
Repeater ID: 13-67
Favorite Repeater

Downlink: 147.22500
Uplink: 147.82500
Offset: +0.6 MHz
County: Lamar
Call: W8JI
Use: OPEN
Op Status:
onair.png
On-Air
Coverage:
30 mi radius.
Sponsor: W8JI -- CHARLES T. RAUCH, JR. -- TRUSTEE
Features: E-power. Normally operates with NO Uplink Tone, but will enable 123.0 or 131.8 Hz Uplink Tone depending upon propagation conditions.
FM: Yes; analog capable.
Analog Bandwidth: 25.0 kHz
Nets: Thursdays 9:15 pm Nightly 8:30 PM local time.
Web links: W8JI -- CHARLES T. RAUCH, JR. -- TRUSTEE
Coordination: SERA
Last update: 2020-10-26

Now returning to your normal thread.

David

I would prob. like the guy in real life and have fun drinking beer and maybe BBQ'ing with but I dislike his clientele and the fact that he support the reckless abuse of rf power. His clients and business model is why the 2SC2879 is priced out of sight now. His lot burn through transistors like steam engine burns through coal!

I am sure his business model is FANTASTIC for him and keeps his family in good shape so I can not fault him there.

When I was in H.S. 2SC2879's were $12 a pop in college they were about $24 a pop towards the end of my first 5 years. As those dried up they moved on to other's driving the price of those up too. So I come pretty close to hating his lot but not him personally. I hold him and his lot in the same light as people that hunt animals to extinction or close to it forcing all kinds of restriction on people that just need to hunt to eat and live.

Hobbyist are driven out of the market by rednecks with more money than brains and reckless ignorant builders like Joker Electronics for instance! Sure you have seen his stuff looks like Christopher Reeves or Stephen Hawking assembled it with a plumbers soldering iron back when they used a bucket of hot coals and plumber solder.

On the merits of his designs I can not say since I have never owned one, used one or known anyone local to me that owns one or runs one. Having watched his video's his workmanship in the designs he builds seems to be sold. He strikes me as someone that put's forth his best work and has standards in his field.

I have never heard anyone that is not his competition say anything bad about him professionally which is saying a lot since "builder's" and the lot they pander too are about as katty/catty and back stabbing and scheming as your typical middle school/Jr. high school girl!!!!

If he has a problem it would be that he takes everything personally as an attack if it is not glowing of sun shine and daisy's and if you try to educate him or correct some belief he has with facts in anything even not electronic he acts like you just shoved a corn cob up his rear!

I would not be afraid to do business with them though not if you like the style of amp he builds! I am normally a good judge of character and I do not think he is in this to cheat anyone.

Last edited:
I would prob. like the guy in real life and have fun drinking beer and maybe BBQ'ing with but I dislike his clientele and the fact that he support the reckless abuse of rf power. His clients and business model is why the 2SC2879 is priced out of sight now. His lot burn through transistors like steam engine burns through coal!

I am sure his business model is FANTASTIC for him and keeps his family in good shape so I can not fault him there.

When I was in H.S. 2SC2879's were $12 a pop in college they were about $24 a pop towards the end of my first 5 years. As those dried up they moved on to other's driving the price of those up too. So I come pretty close to hating his lot but not him personally. I hold him and his lot in the same light as people that hunt animals to extinction or close to it forcing all kinds of restriction on people that just need to hunt to eat and live.

Hobbyist are driven out of the market by rednecks with more money than brains and reckless ignorant builders like Joker Electronics for instance! Sure you have seen his stuff looks like Christopher Reeves or Stephen Hawking assembled it with a plumbers soldering iron back when they used a bucket of hot coals and plumber solder.

On the merits of his designs I can not say since I have never owned one, used one or known anyone local to me that owns one or runs one. Having watched his video's his workmanship in the designs he builds seems to be sold. He strikes me as someone that put's forth his best work and has standards in his field.

I have never heard anyone that is not his competition say anything bad about him professionally which is saying a lot since "builder's" and the lot they pander too are about as katty/catty and back stabbing and scheming as your typical middle school/Jr. high school girl!!!!

If he has a problem it would be that he takes everything personally as an attack if it is not glowing of sun shine and daisy's and if you try to educate him or correct some belief he has with facts in anything even not electronic he acts like you just shoved a corn cob up his rear!

I would not be afraid to do business with them though not if you like the style of amp he builds! I am normally a good judge of character and I do not think he is in this to cheat anyone.
Do you mean back when you could build a brand new home for less than $30 or when gas was less than 30 cents a gallon or cigarettes were 25 cents a pack or you could buy a brand new VW Bug for $1850.00 Hamburgers with a drink & fries for $1 or when a Phone in the home cost $8 a month or when your electric bill was $20 a month? Well there a lot of reasons why TOSHIBA 2sc2879's went up in price but there is a lot more to it than people wanting more of them I use to watch my uncle fix all kinds of equipment and charge less than you can buy a couple of packs of cigarettes for today hell my wife pays more for a couple of cups coffee than he charged to fix a lot of equipment. BBI or his customers have little to do with the cost of Transistors that are no longer produced and that 429 BOSS I bought back in 1969 for $6 Grand now sells sometimes for nearly half a million in pristine condition but it's because they only made about 1500 of them another words if the 2SC2879's were being manufactured in quantities that met the demand as in "THERE ALWAYS EASY TO FIND IN STOCK" like they were back in the 80's they would still be very reasonable but not only are they not being manufactured at that rate they no longer exist which makes them worth $150 or even $200 what makes them worth that is the people willing to pay that for me I would not give that for them unless my actual life depended on having them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?