1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Bed Mount, but where?

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by CyberRider, Aug 21, 2018.

1. CyberRider

CyberRider Member

Hi - I got a 94 Toyota 4x4 and I've decided that I want to mount my new 5' Firestik on the bedrail somewhere. For sake of best send/receive where on the bedrail should I mount it?

Oh, and I'm new to this WHOLE cb thing. Bought radio but haven't installed it yet. Never had a cb before at all.

2. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

Welcome to WWDX, for best send and receive it would need to be in the center of the roof. If you must do bed rail then the back corner by the tailgate would be the spot. Unfortunately where most people put them is not the best place.
    Chris

The DB likes this.
  3. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

Firstly, what type of antenna do you have? I am a fan of magmounts.
    [​IMG]

This on the roof of my S-10 Turbo 4.3 Vortec and it will never blow over.

Dmans likes this.
  4. CyberRider

CyberRider Member

5' fiberglass Firestik II

5. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

Mounting on the bedrail is .... well .... ok - I guess.

Where? You did ask, and unfortunately - on the Bedrail - no "real good location" can exist.

Can you invest into a headache rack? At least you'd have height...?

6. CyberRider

CyberRider Member

Bed rail. I have a rollbar/light bar installed. I would consider that also I guess. Here's my truck:

truck_bed_4ab6a4be8ca79d35f3fc6cbed2dae29b9f98bdb7.jpg

7. Tallman

On the light bar between the lights.

Dmans, jessejamesdallas and 357magnum like this.
  8. CyberRider

CyberRider Member

OK, I may be willing. But which mount will work for that?

9. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

Is there a knockout plug on the tube itself - for wiring? Because that's chrome - and if needed - use a bar between the lights to handle the antenna - it's better because you gonna' strike stuff like trees, overhangs, small critters and the occasional bald eagle whipping around in the air. So let it take it out on the bar brace for the antenna not the roll bar with the lights.

So let the lights offer the mount for the antenna bracing - that's the best spot that won't tear a hole in the truck...

357magnum likes this.
  10. Tallman

You would have to have a tab welded to the light bar. After seeing the rear window in the cab, I would get a magmount. Antenna would be at the best location and after seeing the gear in the bed you do some serious off roading and a magmount can be taken down and put up in a hurry if you need to talk to others on your trek.

11. TheRealPorkchop

TheRealPorkchop Certified Sith Pimp

29E52B34-2515-4BAF-8B1F-76AF4A2E8E21.jpeg
    No it won’t. I run a tri-mag on my dump truck. It works great until the cups those magnets sit in start rusting. Then it comes off the top, you run it over and this me attached pic is what you get. Pretty strong antenna, the Predator, 29,500 pounds ran it over and it still looks that “good”.

12. StrangeBrew

StrangeBrew Sr. Member

What kind of trails do you usually run?

If you deal with a lot of overhead obstructions it may not be a bad idea to go with the bed mount and accept the loss in efficiency, an antenna in a less than optimal location will probably work better than a broken one. Of course if you're usually in the desert this most likely won't be a problem.

If I was going to put it on the roll bar I would probably agree with Andy and mount a separate bar running between the light mounts, make the bar a little weaker than the light mounts so it gives if you whack something really hard.

13. Tallman

14. 357magnum

357magnum Well-Known Member

I had a Toyota FJ 40 once as much as I hated to I drilled holes and mounted a 102" whip on the rear drivers side , I rolled that thing twice and the antenna stayed in check . Mine was a 102' stainless . Boy was I ruff on a vehicle !:ROFLMAO:

Robb likes this.
  15. CyberRider

CyberRider Member

After all this back-and-forth I'm thinking of just going with a good stud mount on the bed rail just behind the passenger side. I'll probably deal with the inefficiency of the antenna. That's a stake hole mount and I got no stake holes in my bed.

Usually hills. And there's plenty of trees.

Nah. Frankly, I don't have the time, know-how, or money for that.

I can't weld and I don't want to pay someone else to weld it. So that's out.

No mounted antenna on top of the cab. In my opinion that looks ridiculous (ie hick, hillbilly, etc).

I'd say semi-serious. I mainly climb hills. But in the wet season I could get stuck. And I don't wanna be up-the-hill without a shovel and jack and other emergency items.